Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rotor
    • By Rotor 7th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 915Posts
    • 1,026Thanks
    Rotor
    car 'uneconomically repairable' after shunt. Optio
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    car 'uneconomically repairable' after shunt. Optio 7th Feb 18 at 12:58 PM
    Hi ,quick potted history ;- Wife's car ( focus est.'08 ) was hit while it was parked on the road. Driver drove off but witness left their tel.no.and car's reg plate.
    They are happy to be witness and police have been informed.

Wife's insurer put her in contact with 'Claimfast' claims handler who verified other driver was insured, organised a hire car whilst garage assessed damage. Car has been found to be 'not economically repairable'

Which is where we are now. (7 days car hire at the moment)

Claimfast have told my wife to accept the first offer from the other party insurance in order to keep hire car then negotiate the actual worth of the car later. This seems dodgy as if you accept an amount that is what you'll get surely?

We don't really want to rush into buying a new car (thinking nearly new ie 6-18 months old from the likes of motorpoint) . The focus is driveable and as long as the boot door opens and shuts ( we didn't check just in case it wouldn't reshut) -can we keep driving that and then get the insurance money once we have found a car we like?

Or alternatively , how long might it be 'reasonable' to keep the hire car?

What's the best way to proceed from here?

Thanks
    Finding an exception is NOT the same as disproving the rule.
Page 1
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 7th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    The last time I had a car that was written off (2012), they allowed me to keep the car and knocked off it's residual value off the amount they gave me - about £23 value. The car was usable so I drove it for a couple of weeks, then scrapped and got £75 - in 2012 I think.
    If the car is roadworthy and usable, ask if you can keep it and they deduct the value off the pay-out. You don't have to buy another car unless you want to. Worth getting a mechanic to check it out though. I think it will go down as a write off for the V5, but given its age and value, won't make much difference. If you do sell it on, you'd need to be clear about that, or scrap it eventually and it won't matter.
    Once you get the car back, the hire car can be returned. Best to minimise the car hire IMO as the claim company will charge a fortune for it (to the other insurer).
    • BJV
    • By BJV 7th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    BJV
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    Ok so this is where insurance companies and claims teams can make lots and lots of money for themselves so be careful.

The person who hit the car will of now been contacted. Your insurance company will now be on a kick back from the claims company. They will in turn be charging the other drivers insurance a silly amount for the car hire.

That said not of that matters to you. You just need to make sure that you get the best offer you can.

No one ever likes to think that the car is worth a trade value and it will most likely of been worth a lot more to you in real terms. So instead get as much evidence as you can to show what the car was worth. Use Auto Trader, check local adverts for like for like cars for sale. Also if you can try something like glass's guide or even CAP. This will show you what the car is currently being sold for and after all the insurer is responsible for giving you a fair amount. The idea being if you want to go and buy another car exactly the same you should be able to.

Get evidance. They might be offering you the correct amount already but I would not accept anything unless I had checked first.

Ref driving the car.... MMMMM I would not there may be damage that you may not know about perhaps even structural. I know that some people are ok with this but I would never knowingly put my family in a car which had been written off. Safety always first!!!

Good Luck.
    Last edited by BJV; 07-02-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    facade
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    Claimfast have told my wife to accept the first offer from the other party insurance in order to keep hire car then negotiate the actual worth of the car later.
    Originally posted by Rotor
    Once you accept an offer, they expedite you a cheque or do a BACS, and you lose the hirecar.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    Do not think you've an open ended hire agreement. There are a lot of people who have ended up being billed silly amounts and it is up to you to mitigate your costs. If the car is perfectly usable with just cosmetic damage then you're in that dodgy area where you've got a hire car and a perfectly usable car so therefore don't have the right to the hire car.

I would be returning the hire car as fast as you can.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    Ref driving the car.... MMMMM I would not there may be damage that you may not know about perhaps even structural. I know that some people are ok with this but I would never knowingly put my family in a car which had been written off. Safety always first!!!

Good Luck.
    Originally posted by BJV
    My wife's old Vauxhall Nova got written off because of a very small dent in the rear arch after someone in a parked car pulled out as she was driving past. Old cars get written off because the cost of repairing them is more than 50% of their value and it takes very little to get to that amount. If someone had taken a nail and scratched the OP's car all over it would be a write off as the cost of the respray would be more than the car but quite clearly scratched paint doesn't make a car unsafe does it?
    • Rotor
    • By Rotor 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Rotor
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    Keeping the car seems the best option if it's not too much more than scrap value. If the insurance won't sell how quickly do we have to come to payment and so lose the car - can we string it out or do we have to accept a reasonable offer when it is made?
    Finding an exception is NOT the same as disproving the rule.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    Hi ,quick potted history ;- Wife's car ( focus est.'08 ) was hit while it was parked on the road. Driver drove off but witness left their tel.no.and car's reg plate.
    They are happy to be witness and police have been informed.

Wife's insurer put her in contact with 'Claimfast' claims handler who verified other driver was insured, organised a hire car whilst garage assessed damage. Car has been found to be 'not economically repairable'

Which is where we are now. (7 days car hire at the moment)

Claimfast have told my wife to accept the first offer from the other party insurance
    in order to keep hire car then negotiate the actual worth of the car later. This seems dodgy as if you accept an amount that is what you'll get surely?

We don't really want to rush into buying a new car (thinking nearly new ie 6-18 months old from the likes of motorpoint) . The focus is driveable and as long as the boot door opens and shuts ( we didn't check just in case it wouldn't reshut) -can we keep driving that and then get the insurance money once we have found a car we like?

Or alternatively , how long might it be 'reasonable' to keep the hire car?

What's the best way to proceed from here?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Rotor
    Have they accepted liability yet?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter