Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thisname
    • By Thisname 7th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thisname
    Am I moaning or does this seem right?
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    Am I moaning or does this seem right? 7th Feb 18 at 10:50 AM
    Hi,

I moved into a beautiful but very old 1 bed property in September. It is a duplex sitting on the end of a big period house which is not used. My flat is in the first floor with storage on the ground floor. I am the only one that occupies this area.

I have all electric including night storage heaters. It has been an incredibly tough winter and I have been mostly miserable because of how cold the place is and how highly the bills have been. I appreciate I have not had a summer yet in the property to build up some credit so am concerned I maybe whinging?

I have tried very hard to cut back on all heating so that I am using just 2 storage heaters at night on economy 7. The kitchen does not have any heat source so an external heater is needed if I want to take the chill off.

My bills have been averaging about £100 per month for this usage with my day rate being a few hundred kWh and my night rate being over 1000 kWh. This is a huge amount to be using and really depressing when you consider that I am only heating two rooms, sometimes only one.

The temp of my living room (the hottest room in the flat) is 16 degrees. The coldest is the hallways and kitchen at about 7 degrees (you can see your breath).

I have an immersion water tank which comes on during the night for all my hot water. This is for 1 shower a day and dishes.

I have been so miserable lately and not wanted to be here despite really wanting to settle and make this a long term let.

The landlord is looking at a heat pump but I must admit I donít really understand how it works and the impact it would have on my comfort levels and bills.

Essentially I am living with average temps of 12 degrees and just feel depressed.

Am I being a moaning wimp or do people agree that this is uncomfortable?

Any thoughts on a heat pump would be appreciated also.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    It sounds like you've got no insulation between you and the storeroom below, what sort of insulation is there in the walls or roof above you. Have you got double glazing (or secondary glazing)

You'll probably find that the storage heaters are undersized for the job so cannot store enough energy to keep the place warm.

There's nothing wrong with a heatpump but they do need to be sized and installed properly as part of correctly designed whole heating system. Again, insulation is the key - you need to keep as much of the heat in as you can.

We've got a heatpump and it works for us although I'm not so sure that it would be as cost effective to run for someone who is out all day as they really need to be run at low temperature for a long time so it's better to turn them down a couple of degrees rather than on & off.
    Ours takes a couple of days to get the house up to temperature from stone cold but once it's there it's fine.

It's very ecomomical to run but at this time of the year we easily get through 40kwh or more in a day. Our daily average for all our energy in January this year was 35kwh/day (thats' heating, hot water, lighting cooking, washing etc etc) and that's for a fairly large three bedroom bungalow that's occupied all day.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • makeni555
    • By makeni555 7th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    makeni555
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    The easiest thing you can as you don't own the property would be to have the meter exchanged from Economy 7 to Economy 10 as you'll get some off peak electric in the day time. But it's worth knowing that for it to work you'll need to be using 80% of the electric on the off peak rate- usually the times are 3 hrs afternoon, 2 hrs evening and 5 hrs over night.

It's better from a comfort point of view which sounds like your highest priority from your post. Particularly as the heaters will be actively heating the day time as well as night time. But like I say for it to work you'll need to be using around 80% off peak (easy to do). Who is your current supplier? SSE will swap the meter for free and offer a fixed price Economy 10 tariff for 1 year that is discounted to their standard tariff but there are some cheaper smaller suppliers.

Check economy10 .com

• Thisname
    • By Thisname 7th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thisname
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    The landlord has assured me that the place is very well insulated and it does have new double glazed windows for the most part. I just feel if I were to heat the place to a comfortable level I would be looking at least £150 per month.

I think having a cold store room below does not help.

I want to stick it out for another winter to see if it does help. He is thinking about a heat pump,for the big house and a medium pump to heat my duplex part.

How does the heating work for you? Would my storage heaters be removed and replaced with different radiators and a thermostat if I were to have a heat pump? The problem I have is there is no thermostat I just put the heater on overnight and hope for the best.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    Are you using your heaters correctly - the input should be set to high and the output should be shut right down, especially overnight when they are charging otherwise all the heat is lost and none is stored.
    Ideally if they are sized correctly then you shouldn't need to open the output untill late in the evening but then you must remeber to close it again before you go to bed.

Most heatpump systems will have wet radiators or underfloor wet systems and will be controlled by a thermostat and possibly TRVs although because they run at low temperatures they are slow to react so not suited to on-off use like a conventional boiler. Our system is controlled by room thermostats (in fact we've got one for each room)

Another posiibility is an air-air heat pump, which are quite economical to run but rely on blowing warm air around the place.

You ideally need to understand what the landlord is proposing but I'm guessing you dont have a lot of say in the matter - either stay with the storage heaters or get a heatpump.
    I'd personally go for the heatpump if I had a choice but I'd learn all I can about how to use it properly.
    Last edited by matelodave; 07-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    • Thisname
    • By Thisname 7th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thisname
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    To be fair I think I have been using the heaters incorrectly. Mostly have both settings on max. Could that have a significant impact on cost and my bills? Would it be cheaper to use more heaters but more effectively as you suggested?
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 7th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    Make sure the supplier is billing you the correct day and night rate. When these rates get transposed night storage users really feel the difference with much higher bills.They can get the cheap night rate billed at day rate tariff, nearly double ..It is not uncommon
    Night storage users usually use many more night rate units than day units
    Last edited by House Martin; 07-02-2018 at 2:28 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    If you've got both setting on max then they wont store any heat as it will dissipate out overnight. Close the output control and see if they retain their heat better.

Most people find that they don't need to open the output control at all if the heaters are sized correctly. You should also find that they wont use as much electricity to charge unless it's really cold as the input control will regulate how much to store - by having the output open then the heater can't regulate itself properly and will just heat all night.

Dont forget that it's everso cold at the moment so you'll be using more energy than normal but it's worthwhile reading your meter frequently to see how your consumption varies with the settings and the temperature. When you understand whats happening then it's easier to control.
    • Thisname
    • By Thisname 7th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thisname
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    I!!!8217;m struggling with my lounge heater. The dials don!!!8217;t appear to match the radiator so the number 1 on the dial doesn!!!8217;t correlate with the one printed on the actual radiator. I would assume these are not the correct dials. I!!!8217;m struggling to workout if I!!!8217;m turning them the right way so that for instance when I want a very low output that is what I!!!8217;m getting.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    matelodave
    have a look around the sides of the radiator and see if theres a makers name and model number. It should also tell you how many kw they are rated at.
    If in doubt most controls are clockwise to increase and anticlock to decrease. So try turning the charge control clockwise and the output anticlock to see what happens.
    Bear in mind that it will take all night for the heater to charge and hopefully all day for it to release all that charge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin