Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 397Posts
    • 120Thanks
    Oddjob
    Convector heater
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    Convector heater 7th Feb 18 at 9:27 AM
    Hi, I wanted just a small, cheap heater to put on at night in my kitchen if the weather was very cold to stop the pipes freezing. My central heating broke down long ago and I have not had it fixed.

I bought a 750w from Argos, one of their Simply range. I looked at the reviews and questions before I purchased.
    In the Q&A, someone asked if it could be used with an extension cable and someone answered that it was dangerous to use any heater on an extension cable.
    The problem is, it only has a 1m cable which is a bit short to reach my socket. I told a friend that I was going to have to take it back as I wouldn't be able to use it. They said that they always use theirs on an extension cable and had had no problems, they used one with a surge protector.
    Would that be safe?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 7th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    Two main issues with extension cables:
    1 Trailing cable hazard - so ensure it is neatly deployed with no cable bunched up to trip over and do not buy one that is too long. Also the routing of the extension ought to be considered so that it does not trail across a sink, cooker or worktop. Not a great option from that point of view but not impossible for a temporary installation.
    2 Electrical suitability - as long as it is designed for mains electricity and can handle the power no issues. Most sold can carry 13amps current and as your heater you tell us is only 750 watts (just 3 amps) then there will be no problem. The plug on your heater should be appropriately fused so there will be no need to change from the 13amp one in the extension. You do not need to add one with surge protection. One with just a simple socket will be adequate.
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    Hi, thank you for this. The wires would not need to be trailing, it would be going more or less in a corner and the wires would all be behind the heater up to the socket. I would only be putting it on at night when there would not be movement around the kitchen anyway, I live on my own so no chance of anyone else falling over it. The cable would have to go behind a combination microwave but that would not be in use when the heater was on.

Thank you for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,321Posts Today

7,702Users online

Martin's Twitter