Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrisbean
    • By chrisbean 7th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chrisbean
    Cheapest deal
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    Cheapest deal 7th Feb 18 at 9:15 AM
    I only use electric and when I choose an energy provider I look at the TCR (Tariff Comparison Rate). By law every provider must show this figure and this gives the cost of one Kilowatt of electric with all additional charges incorporated. The monetary figures then become academic. Simple.
    Martin. A modern day Robin Hood?
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    I only use electric and when I choose an energy provider I look at the TCR (Tariff Comparison Rate). By law every provider must show this figure and this gives the cost of one Kilowatt of electric with all additional charges incorporated. The monetary figures then become academic. Simple.
    Martin. A modern day Robin Hood?
    Originally posted by chrisbean
    Hi - welcome to the forum.

TCR is, in my opinion, a very crude comparator and my view is supported by most PCWs:

Quote: A TCR is a rate that displays the cost per unit of energy that each gas or electricity tariff offers. These TCRs factor in things such as standing charges and discounts !!!8211; these are not taken into account by the rate displayed per kWh.

TCRs are only meant to act as a general approximation of what you will be paying on a given tariff. They are all based on households that will fall into the medium energy user group. This means that if you are either a low or high energy consumer, you will not be able to use these comparison rates as an effective guide. Unquote Source: SimplySwitch

Each to their own, but my advice is to base all cost comparisons on projected kWhs/year for both gas and electricity. Looking, of course, at both dual fuel and separate suppliers.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    Update:

In spring of 2017, Ofgem announced it would roll back its requirement for suppliers and energy switching sites like uSwitch to provide a tariff comparison rate (TCR), effective 23 June of the same year.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    I would rather look at true actual price not TCR . But each to their own method if they fee its more reliable .
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    Use more or less and your TCR changes.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 3,178 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    This discussion is somewhat academic as suppliers and PCWs were banned by Ofgem from using TCRs from June 17 onwards. This is why sites such as MSE CEC now show the total cost of a deal including cashback and all other incentives.
    • KatyCols
    • By KatyCols 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KatyCols
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    I only use electricity and I want to compare the cost of 1 Unit of electricity on normal tariffs with what I am paying on Economy 10. I can't find anywhere to do this (not sure what a TCR is). Do I have to put all my information into a price comparison site? I don't want to compare Economy 10 tariffs , just the costs of 'normal' electricity as I think what I am being charged for my 'cheap time' is very high. Any ideas please
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter