Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savannah02K
    • By Savannah02K 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 295Posts
    • 449Thanks
    Savannah02K
    Pressure to buy carpet from unknown supplier
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    Pressure to buy carpet from unknown supplier 7th Feb 18 at 8:50 AM
    Had a water leak from tank couple of weeks ago, ruined the landing and stair carpet. The insurance company 'devolve' carpet 'issues' to an outside company who seem to be carpet wholesalers and fitters. They've now offered me the option of replacement carpets from them or a ridiculously small cash settlement. I don't know this company or its products, I like to deal with local tradespeople and have always bought carpets from them. Has anyone had any experience of this and how likely am I to get an increased offer if I protest to the insurance company? I genuinely can't see how the carpet company can do a new for old, including the fitting, at the price they've quoted so it makes me very suspicious about the quality of their products.
Page 1
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 7th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    The cash price they quote to you will not be the same as the price they would pay for the actual reinstatement work if it went ahead - it will be discounted. Various reasons for this but mainly due to a lower mark up and a cash settlement is technically not on a reinstatement (what you have called new-for-old) basis, it is on an indemnity basis.

Assuming they can provide a like for like match, then their limit of liability is the cost they can replace it for through their supplier network.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 7th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    Whilst you may prefer to use an independent supplier, your policy will cover you for a supplier of your insurer's choosing.

In this case, their supplier can put you back in a like-for-like position, or you can take the cash payment as a gesture of goodwill (for want of a better term) to use an independent.

The preferred settlement of your claim (for your insurer) is through their supplier, and that's what's been offered on a new-for-old basis.
    Wedding fund - £1505.92
    OP fund - £629.47 (£505.23)
    Emergency fund - £160.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,551Posts Today

8,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin