Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mallen
    • By mallen 7th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mallen
    Offer reduction - no build regs
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    Offer reduction - no build regs 7th Feb 18 at 8:36 AM
    I am currently in the process of buying a house which has no building regs for chimney stack removal, fireplace and dormer conversion. This was done over 22 years ago.
    My solicitors are chasing the vendor again and they believe there may have been an indemnity policy floating around.

I am thinking my options are:

1. Reduction on price (how much, 5%?) and indemnity policy.
    2. Retrospective building regs - How much does this cost?
    3. Pull out the sale

I do like the house but it isn't a forever home, we would be looking to move in 3-5 years and I fear this will cause me problems when trying to sell.

Also the house has been advertised on Rightmove as a 4 bed even though one of the rooms are the dormer which has access though a small staircase at the back of smallest 3rd room.

I believe it to be price right for a 3 bed (not a four bed as advertised)

*URL removed by forum team - shortened URL*

I have a building surveyor going in on the 24th..
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 07-02-2018 at 7:56 PM.
Page 1
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 7th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    You are entitled to do any of those but how your vendor would respond to the first one would be a matter of guesswork.

While newer properties have a bad reputation hereabouts they are a lot less likely to suffer these kind of 'legacy' issues.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 6,752 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    This is the third thread you've started on what is basically the same problem:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789010

Why do you fear it will cause problems given the advice we've already given? I doubt a future buyer would ask for anything more taxing than an indemnity policy - which is the cheap and easy solution, if anybody thinks this is a problem in the first place.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 7th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    Are you using a mortgage? If so it might be worth asking your solicitor. The lender might have particular requirements.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6,805 Posts
    • 6,752 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    Are you using a mortgage? If so it might be worth asking your solicitor. The lender might have particular requirements.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    It's very unlikely that a lender will have peculiar requirements. It'll be down to the solicitor's interpretation of the standard CML Handbook requirements, which is likely to come down to "get an indemnity policy on the safe side". So either the seller's existing one (if they have one) is acceptable, or the seller is asked to get a new one, or the OP gets one.

Retrospective consent is tricky for older alterations, and merely asking the question of the council means you can't then fall back on an indemnity policy.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 24,449 Posts
    • 67,324 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    Thread three. Most of us here are regulars and you will continue to get the same replies, regardless of how you word the question.

Building regulations for loft conversions are different than they were two decades ago. Even a loft with a certificate back then wouldn!!!8217;t get one now. It is not an option to you. But it also displays the absurdity of trying to apply the same standard to this old conversion as you would for one completed yesterday. It would be far more important to have a certificate for recent work.

If the loft is structurally sound then I am not sure how it is worth 5% less. If it is sound it is sound, if it is not then you walk away.

Have you asked for a building regulations certificate for the house from when it was built? If not, why not? Under your logic, if a bedroom is not a bedroom then the house is not a house without a certificate and is therefore free, nevermind asking for 5% off. The likelihood is that nobody (specifically your mortgage lender) has asked for the certificate for the house because it is too old to bother with. Your loft conversion is also of an age. The only real question to answer is whether it is structurally sound and fit for purpose.

Indemnity policies are purchased up and down the country every single day. Your vendor bought one, somebody else will be fine with one too. You can ask for an arbitrary discount for your pocket but I am not sure you will get it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 43,211 Posts
    • 50,784 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    your first 2 options are a waste of time.

Your 3rd option is a matter of choice.

And this 3rd thread is also a waste of time.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 3,394 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    Spam spam spam.

• csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    OP what do you hope from a third thread, no one is going to tell you what you want to hear, but the reality generally
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter