Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • socialbutterfly1
    • By socialbutterfly1 6th Feb 18, 10:27 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 12Thanks
    socialbutterfly1
    PPI 1988 with Britannia no paperwork
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:27 PM
    PPI 1988 with Britannia no paperwork 6th Feb 18 at 10:27 PM
    Hi,

Iím posting on behalf of my mom, as Iím trying to help her claim a PPI refund on her mortgage with Britannia Building Society she took out in 1988.

She kept no paperwork after paying her mortgage off. I looked up her credit file and its not on there either. I am requesting land registry documents but is there anything else I can do?

She has contacted Britannia now Co-op and they have no record of the mortgage as it was so long ago, even though she still has accounts with them.

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 6th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 15,478 Posts
    • 22,081 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    Hi,

Iím posting on behalf of my mom, as Iím trying to help her claim a PPI refund on her mortgage with Britannia Building Society she took out in 1988.

She kept no paperwork after paying her mortgage off. I looked up her credit file and its not on there either. I am requesting land registry documents but is there anything else I can do?

She has contacted Britannia now Co-op and they have no record of the mortgage as it was so long ago, even though she still has accounts with them.

Many thanks in advance
    Originally posted by socialbutterfly1
    If Britannia have no records, and your mum has no records, then there isn't much you can do. (The Land Registry won't have a record of any PPI policy.)

Also, be advised that you can't just 'claim a PPI refund'; you make a complaint that it was mis-sold. You need to be able to show that you mum had PPI, and provide reasons why it was mis-sold.

And dunstonh normally pops along to point out that most MPPI complaints are not successful, if only because having MPPI is arguably a good thing.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 91,124 Posts
    • 58,142 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    And dunstonh normally pops along to point out that most MPPI complaints are not successful, if only because having MPPI is arguably a good thing.
    ta da.

I!!!8217;m posting on behalf of my mom, as I!!!8217;m trying to help her claim a PPI refund on her mortgage with Britannia Building Society she took out in 1988.
    Did she have MPPI?
    PPI was not widespread in 1988. Typically, life assurance was the dominant insurance product. You are really talking about being near the start of it being available and before the banks were mass selling it. And that assumes she even used Britannia as a lot of their mortgages were broker/adviser arranged.

It doesn't surprise me there are little or no records. It was 30 years ago. It is way before insurance regulation and with MPPI normally being a standalone product not linked to the mortgage, there is often nothing in the mortgage paperwork to show whether MPPI was taken or not.

I am requesting land registry documents but is there anything else I can do?
    Any insurances she bought will not appear on land registry. There is no public domain entries for such things.

Even if she did have MPPI? Why do you think she should be refunded? You can still buy MPPI today. It is considered one of the good types of PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    RADDERS
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    We got a mortgage in 1988 and we had MPPI, but we wanted it as if my hubby had lost his job it gave us 12months breathing space for him to find another job if he got made redundant. In the 80/90ís he was under redundancy threat at least 5 times so for us it was beneficial to have but try explaining that now, people just say get it claimed back.

I think it cost in the region of £10 to cover £300 and it was with a company called payment shield and was a separate payment on the mortgage statement, we paid it to the mortgage company and they forwarded it on. Even when we change mortgage providers we kept the policy and made the payments direct ourselves.
    • socialbutterfly1
    • By socialbutterfly1 7th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    socialbutterfly1
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    Thanks for your comments and advice.
    My mom says she remembers being told by the bank that she had to take out the PPI otherwise she wasn!!!8217;t able to take out the mortgage, so that is mis-selling.

Unfortunately as neither party have any records i doubt anything will progress.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 91,124 Posts
    • 58,142 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:11 AM
    My mom says she remembers being told by the bank that she had to take out the PPI otherwise she wasn!!!8217;t able to take out the mortgage, so that is mis-selling.
    She remembers that over 30 years ago?

In the 80s, it is more likely she was told life assurance was compulsory (as it usually was back then). Could she be thinking of that?
    There is also the possibility of MIG. That was around back then and there was no choice if you borrowed a high loan to value.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 9th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 5,425 Thanks
    -taff
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    She has no records, they have no records, forget about it.

By the way, it would have been a complaint, not a claim and therefore not a refund.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

760Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter