Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nad1611
    • By nad1611 6th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 638Posts
    • 281Thanks
    nad1611
    Element,Thermostat etc?
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    Element,Thermostat etc? 6th Feb 18 at 8:15 PM
    Hi All,
    My unbranded single fan assisted oven stoppe d working last night. It didn't trip anything, just noticed that the light isn't on and neither element(grill or rear) are heating up. The fan works and clock is still on.
    I've been looking at a few videos but one minute I think it must be the thermostat, then the elements and finally it could be the function switch.
    Does any of this sound familiar. I haven't got anything I can use to test the various parts(electrical output) , but does it sound like one thing or another to anyone?
    Would be really grateful. I could order all the parts and try each one, but the returns policy is a little prohibitive.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    There is no substitute for testing, as that is the only way you will know for sure. Can you see the element when you open the oven door? Last couple I have changed it was obvious, as there were large craters in the element surface where they blew.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 7th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 4,833 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    When the element goes, it often goes with a bit of a bang, so it'll be obvious when you have a closer look.

The element is easy and cheap to replace, look on ebay, espares etc.

There should be a small sticker somewhere (inside the door area perhaps) with a model number on. When you say unbranded, what words (or numbers) are there on the front of the cooker?

If the thermostat has gone then they are also quite cheap and easy to replace.

• nad1611
    • By nad1611 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    nad1611
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    Hi. Thanks for responding. Okay I may be able to get hold of a metre, so hopefully won't waste money buying parts I don't need. I presume I would take the back off to test the electrics? Is there a way to test the function switch and thermostat as well as the elements, when I do that?

As far as the parts are concerned, it's ok because although unbranded I have already located the spares I would need online,to replace the element/thermostat etc.

Didn't hear a bang and I have had a look at the element/s but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious.

Thanks.

Just to add since writing in case it makes it more obvious what the problem may be, now the fan's not working so basically the only thing that's working is the clock. No light,no heat and no fan!
    Last edited by nad1611; 07-02-2018 at 4:14 PM. Reason: additional information
    • nad1611
    • By nad1611 8th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    nad1611
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    Thought I'd finish this post off nicely.
    My husband mentioned that the oven was fine before my daughter was banging and clanging the grill pan in and out of it, so he thought he'd do the same thing, he crashed and banged the oven about and lo and behold the oven's working!!!

(Obviously we'll still get it checked out, but it rather reminded me of the old slap on top of the telly trick)!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin