Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thehistorygirl
    • By thehistorygirl 6th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 48Thanks
    thehistorygirl
    Painting over varnished pine
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    Painting over varnished pine 6th Feb 18 at 7:36 PM
    We are selling my mums house to move her into something a bit more practical as she gets older. The house needs a bit of tlc before we put it on the market and one of the things that we think will help its marketability would be to paint the kitchen. The trouble is, it is entirely covered in varnished pine tongue and groove, a legacy from the former owner. It makes a reasonable sized kitchen dark and poky. What would we use to paint it? Im guessing that wed need something to stop he knots coming through again as well. Any recommendations?
    LBM 7/1/14
    Debt Jan 14 5443
    Debt Mar 15 4734
    Debt Dec 2017 2233 less 393.25 Plevin payment 1870
    Another Plevin payout Feb 2018 taking balance to 1081
    Updated DFD Dec 2018!!! This year
Page 1
    • love lifer
    • By love lifer 6th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    love lifer
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    Sand it so you can paint it- the paint wont stick otherwise. Use a medium grade- 100/120. or for a more thorough and time consuming job strip it. former is good though, as long as you clean it after sanding
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 6th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 5,325 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    You will need a good primer. Try Zinsser B I N from b and q.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 6th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 4,689 Thanks
    adandem
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    Agree, Zinnser. No sanding or primer needed.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    Another vote for zinsser bin. It's amazing stuff and we used it to do just what you want it for. We used the zinsser and then painted with a satin wood paint and it looks great. It has also stood the test of time, so I would definitely recommend it for a pre sale spruce up.

I did rub the pine down with liquid sander first, but don't think it was necessary at all. Just give it a good wash and use the zinsser.
    Last edited by seashore22; 06-02-2018 at 9:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @brendyeire: @MartinSLewis A good bit more. Would have eaten more ten years ago, but was a student then. Now working FT and can afford m?

• RT @twikki: @MartinSLewis Quit meat in January and saved about £50-100 a month on my shopping and eating out. Feel a lot healthier about my?

• Today's twitter poll: How much meat & poultry do you eat now compared to ten years ago?

• Follow Martin