Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 6th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 348Posts
    • 80Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    bitcoin, few newbie question
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    bitcoin, few newbie question 6th Feb 18 at 6:57 PM
    I had to pay an overseas retailer $35.

Payment method to me were bank transfer, echeque or bitcoin.

having paid huge fees in the past for bank transfer I decided to try bitcoin. I assumed it was a cheap currency... big mistake.

I needed a wallet so I got one from bitcoin.com, I went on to buy currency and put into the wallet. I used bitcoin.com own currency ourchasing system. The minimum was $50 so I had to buy $15 more than I needed and also pay a $12 credit card fee for the privelage.

At that point I should have stopped and realised a bank transfer is going to be cheaper. so being stubborn that I am I decided to proceed.

Then I realsied I purchased BCH and not BTC, I need to use changelly.com to convert it for me. They slapped on a near 10% charge and I lost $5 so now have $45.

I then sent the retailer the $35 of BTC that they wanted and the wallet again charged me, this time 5% (around $3) to send the money.

I now have $5 worth left of bitcoin, and the seller cannot verify whether the received my payment or not. In addition to this, I just realised I paid about $25 in fees to do this transaction.

I thought this was meant to be a very low cost of transaction service and meant to be cheaper than banks? My little experience has taught me that the volatility of the currency just makes people charge a much heftier fee for transactions. It's all good when the currency is increasing in value because the bitcoin handlers get a positive ROI just by holding the currency for the short time it's going up. But when the currency is going down, then it's toxic and processors want to take a huge commision for dealing with it.

Also dealing with currency is 0.005183 is ridiculous, it's so easy to misplace a decimal point if you're not careful and you'll make a costly mistake.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 06-02-2018 at 7:00 PM.
Page 1
    • Trentenders
    • By Trentenders 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Trentenders
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    I think you missed the question off.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 7,903 Posts
    • 5,668 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    Apparently, the current high transaction fees are as a result of demand/supply. Only so many transactions can occur per second, and the more transactions, the higher the fee that people will be willing to pay to ensure the transaction is made in a timely fashion.

At present, people are using BitCoin as an investment/gamble. It's supposed to be a payment system, but it's complicated enough to put the average person off, and so few places accept it as payment. So most transactions are currently of high value, where (say) a $20 transaction fee equates to a tiny percentage that people are willing to pay.

I've heard that this will/might change in future as the system expands so it can process more payments, which will push down the price.

But... I don't quite understand how the payment system works in Bitcoin...

Is mining an arbitrary process of rationing the creation of Bitcoins, or does the mining process itself verify transactions on the Bit--chain.

With the transaction fees so high, is it worth setting up a mining server and allowing my computer to be used to verify transactions in exchange for a small fee?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Feb 18, 12:24 AM
    • 26,616 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:24 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:24 AM
    Yes mining is verifying the transaction is real, but it went from a few verifications to many many millions, so the chance of your hardware getting a bite got smaller and when it takes your hardware .1 seconds to verify it, a million other pieces of hardware will have already done it, so you get nothing for your time except a larger electricity bill.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    There in lies a series flaw in the system. Nobody is mining bitcoins from the goodness of their hearts. They're doing it to earn bitcoins and since the computer calculations are becoming more and more complex it's more and more difficult to generate bitcoins firstly and now it's become uneconomical to mine as the cost of energy is going up and the ROI is going down.

So fewer people actually mining, and increasing the transaction costs too.

I think there are serious flaws in this model if it requires so much computing power to compute and keep the system alive but there's less and less of an incentive to do it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 26,616 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    Who will mine it when the initial download will be measured in petabytes?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,008Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin