Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A_T
    • By A_T 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 191Thanks
    A_T
    Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website 6th Feb 18 at 6:10 PM
    Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

http://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/hl-refresh

Got a feeling that like most "improvements" this is going to be horrible. No doubt the website will be aimed at mobile devices - like the awful Fidelity upgrade.
Page 2
    • gld73
    • By gld73 7th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    gld73
    Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

http://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/hl-refresh

Got a feeling that like most "improvements" this is going to be horrible. No doubt the website will be aimed at mobile devices - like the awful Fidelity upgrade.
    Originally posted by A_T
    Ah, glad (??) I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new Fidelity website. I'm sick of seeing that rotating circle and never being able to reach the page I want - I haven't been able to switch or deal for months but Fidelity tells me the website all works fine. Wish I could go back to the old one, that worked fine for me.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 8th Feb 18, 12:48 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    slinga
    Yes, it's expensive and doesn't offer the flexibility of others.

https://investments.hsbc.co.uk/pdf/invest-direct-rates-fees-kfd.pdf

Here's a link to the Monevator broker/platform comparison table, which should help you find a more suitable option:

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    This comparison is easier to read.

http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/compare.aspx
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    ValiantSon

Originally posted by slinga
    I don't agree, and, more importantly, it does a different job. Your link attempts to rank platforms based on certain assumptions about growth and sums invested; Monevator just gives you an overview of all the costs so that you can work out the best solution for yourself. Your link also makes some interesting decisions: it placed a platform as my top choice when I tested it for my own portfolio, even though that would actually work out more expensive than who I am currently with. I prefer to have the data and do my own calculations as I can be sure it's correct and I don't have to rely on someone else's assumptions.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 8th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    And here is a spreadsheet you can set to your own circumstances.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Plus
    • By Plus 9th Feb 18, 12:50 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Plus
    I don't agree, and, more importantly, it does a different job. Your link attempts to rank platforms based on certain assumptions about growth and sums invested; Monevator just gives you an overview of all the costs so that you can work out the best solution for yourself. Your link also makes some interesting decisions: it placed a platform as my top choice when I tested it for my own portfolio, even though that would actually work out more expensive than who I am currently with. I prefer to have the data and do my own calculations as I can be sure it's correct and I don't have to rely on someone else's assumptions.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I find these kind of comparisons not very helpful:

How many funds will you have? Err, I don't know
    How many trades will you do? That depends
    How much will it grow by? Haven't a clue

Maybe they're useful if you already hold investments elsewhere and want to compare but, unless you manage your investments like a robot, this year is likely to be different from last year and so you can't answer these. Meanwhile the beginner has no idea what they're going to do.

So using the raw numbers allows you to say 'brand X is cheaper up til £6000 and then brand Y is cheaper unless I make more than 27 trades per year' means you know whether you're close to a point where you might switch from one to another, or are in solid brand Z territory.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 9th Feb 18, 1:48 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    slinga
    HL website is down atm????
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 9th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Zola.
    HL have a great website, so that level of work will continue you'd imagine.

It may well be very different, but after a few days you will be familiar with it.
    • A_T
    • By A_T 10th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    A_T
    Upgrade seems not as bad as feared. Just looks a bit different. Obviously done to be more suited to mobile devices. All the text is much bigger so if your using a desktop pc you can't see as much without scrolling. So far I don't regard it as any kind of improvement
    Last edited by A_T; 10-02-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 10th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I find these kind of comparisons not very helpful:

How many funds will you have? Err, I don't know
    How many trades will you do? That depends
    How much will it grow by? Haven't a clue

Maybe they're useful if you already hold investments elsewhere and want to compare but, unless you manage your investments like a robot, this year is likely to be different from last year and so you can't answer these. Meanwhile the beginner has no idea what they're going to do.

So using the raw numbers allows you to say 'brand X is cheaper up til £6000 and then brand Y is cheaper unless I make more than 27 trades per year' means you know whether you're close to a point where you might switch from one to another, or are in solid brand Z territory.
    Originally posted by Plus
    I think you are actually agreeing with me that having all of the costs and doing your own sums is better than using the other link posted.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 10-02-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 11th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    aroominyork
    Not impressed. I thought at least they would change the colour palette so those red numbers from Friday turned blue.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 11th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7,283 Posts
    • 13,290 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Upgrade seems not as bad as feared. Just looks a bit different. Obviously done to be more suited to mobile devices. All the text is much bigger so if your using a desktop pc you can't see as much without scrolling. So far I don't regard it as any kind of improvement
    Originally posted by A_T
    Yes, more scrolling on a PC. Using a 'standard resolution for decent netbooks these days' (full HD display 1920 x 1080), and zoomed to a normal 100% zoom level in the browser, their homepage takes up six entire screen heights.

My favourite web page is Google, which is one screen height.

MSE is about three for most of its front page content but currently has a 'how much will you spend on Valentines Day poll' hanging on the bottom which takes over ten scrolled pages just to ask you your gender, age bracket and what amount you'll spend.

Maybe the designers are getting paid on column inches - for quantity not quality.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 11th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Zola.
    I like the redesign, cleaner, better fonts. Modern. The core structure hasn't changed really, just a crisper look.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 11th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    greenglide
    Strangely enough I find it an improvement over the previous version!

The character size displayed actually seems smaller so it does actually fit on the screen without horizontal scrolling which is sometimes an issue.

Using a laptop with a 2560x1440 screen with a size of 13.1 inches. Web browsing often struggles with this resolution using too large a font and not fitting to the screen. Presumable taking more notice of the screen diagonal rather than the resolution.
  • jamesd

Originally posted by slinga
    Thanks, I like the way that one asks for your expected behavior and does the calculations.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 11th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Thanks, I like the way that one asks for your expected behavior and does the calculations.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    If you do choose to use that then please keep in mind the word of warning I gave about how the results are not necessarily accurate, e.g. it reckons I should move to a new platform for my portfolio, and yet moving there would incur ongoing (nothing to do with exit fees) costs in excess of hat I m currently paying.

It's always better to do your own sums and not rely on someone else's assumptions!
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    ColdIron
    I have a small complaint. The large tooltips/panels that display when you hover over a link now seem to be on a hair trigger. It's sometimes difficult to navigate with the mouse without triggering one of them. There needs to be more latency on Hover
    • le loup
    • By le loup 11th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    le loup
    The WATCHLIST is now awful. It wants 1/3 more width and 2/3 more length. I know I can use the browser tools to reduce the zoom but that affects all my tabs.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 4,738 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Ctrl + or - is site specific in FireFox
    • le loup
    • By le loup 11th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    le loup
    .......... and in Edge. Didn't know such magic existed. Thanks.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 11th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    JohnRo
    I've just checked the download feature to see if the format has been altered for spreadsheet entry.

I hold VNQ there, the web portal 'day change (pence)' = 131.01 yet the downloaded csv file has a 'day change (pence)' = 1.81

This 1.81 doesn't relate to any of the other metrics afaict
    It doesn't matter for my record keeping as long as the valuation is accurate, but it should be the correct number.

Can anyone else replicate a similar error?
    Last edited by JohnRo; 11-02-2018 at 7:46 PM.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,653Users online

Martin's Twitter