Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A_T
    • By A_T 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 192Thanks
    A_T
    Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    Hargreaves Landsdown to "update" their website 6th Feb 18 at 6:10 PM
    Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.

http://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/hl-refresh

Got a feeling that like most "improvements" this is going to be horrible. No doubt the website will be aimed at mobile devices - like the awful Fidelity upgrade.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 91,118 Posts
    • 58,135 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    Remember when MSE refreshed its look and it was awful. Luckily, MSE kept the old skins available and many of us still use them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 8,977 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    Oh dear. The current one works well for me so on grounds of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I have a horrible feeling it will not be as good.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 6th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    It will no doubt be all "responsive" and mostly designed for mobile/tablet usage.

In other words absolutely ******* awful.

Nothing wrong with the current one as far as I can see but hey ho lots of folk have got to justify their salaries.
    Originally posted by A_T
    I would agree. There is also the fact Google drops any non mobile friendly site far down the rankings so basically they are forcing webmasters to do this. It's also cheaper to run 1 "responsive" website rather than 2 seperate desktop/mobile websites. Load of garbage
    Last edited by fun4everyone; 06-02-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 6th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    Remember when MSE refreshed its look and it was awful. Luckily, MSE kept the old skins available and many of us still use them.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I am set to the old skin as well. On logging out you see the new "responsive mobile friendly" look. It is terrible. Yet that is what all new signups are probably on? So eventually we could all be forced over as old users leave and the % of people on the new look increases .
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 6th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    I read this today.

Unlike others I am not at all impressed with the HL site. I find it unnecessarily complex (IMHO), it is non-intuitive and lots of facilities are hidden away on subsequent pages.

What is the "capital account" and "income account" all about?

I much prefer the Youinvest site and the old TD site (before it was refreshed about a year ago).

The old Fidelity site was quite good, the current one is dreadful!
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 6th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    jamei305
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    Sounds like they're keeping most things the same but just adjusting their branding with some new snazzy colours etc and slimming down some menus. I expect all the important dealing and portfolio stuff will stay much the same.
    • scoot65
    • By scoot65 6th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    scoot65
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I certainly do! Awful it was..... I'm using the old skin, looks far better in my opinion
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 24,531 Posts
    • 14,379 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    I certainly do! Awful it was..... I'm using the old skin, looks far better in my opinion
    I agree with this.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 6th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 7,658 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Stompa
    Unlike others I am not at all impressed with the HL site. I find it unnecessarily complex (IMHO), it is non-intuitive and lots of facilities are hidden away on subsequent pages.
    Originally posted by greenglide
    I agree, it's always struck me as being an illogical mess.
    Stompa
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 6th Feb 18, 11:07 PM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 13,309 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Everyone is always cynical when their favourite webpage is redesigned or re-developed to work with more modern browsers or different devices or take advantage of up-to date functionality or security that did not exist when the page was first designed or conceived and may have already been implemented by their rivals some time ago.

FWIW I still use the old skin for MSE forums, as do many of the 'old hands' above who have been here long enough to know what they're missing if the go onto the new version - but I generally feel "don't knock it 'til you've tried it".

If things never got an update or refresh we would all be trying to work in HTML 1.0 and wishing they would get round to inventing 'frames' to help organise the website. The sites I was using two decades ago were woefully inferior to what is around today (although would have loaded much faster on my 240mbps home connection now than they did back then on the cutting-edge T1 of the time).

For posterity...
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 06-02-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: link
    • redux
    • By redux 6th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 18,039 Posts
    • 23,217 Thanks
    redux
    HL website already has mobile and desktop versions, though not with much difference on the pages I've seen so far.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 6th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    JohnRo
    I read this today.

I much prefer the Youinvest site and the old TD site (before it was refreshed about a year ago).

The old Fidelity site was quite good, the current one is dreadful!
    I'm in the same boat, very much agree and I find it a right tangled mess tbh, bits and pieces all over the place. I'd also describe it as counter-intuitive as well.

I didn't object to the TD facelift although never used the gimmicky chart stuff they added.

I much prefer the CSD style in terms of a clear layout and distinct, easily accessible and retrievable account information, although that said I'm not enamoured with quite a long list of specific things on there either, especially the horribly sluggish response times for the last year or so which have improved slightly of late but nowhere near what they once were.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • slinga
    • By slinga 7th Feb 18, 2:29 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    slinga
    For cost reasons I've been wanting to move out of HL for the past 18 months but due to inertia etc haven't done so yet.
    If the updated HL site is bad then it might just be the kick I need to move.

I've been considering Alliance Trust Saving or Trustnet Direct. Anyone know if upgrades/updates to these websites have been completed or are being considered

BTW some Platforms I've seen have the old pre update website available by just clicking on an icon.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 7th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 9,476 Posts
    • 14,221 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I hate change too, it is always worse, that's why my diet is still just rusks and milk.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Feb 18, 7:21 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 8,977 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Thats nothing to do with web design. There will still be such things, if they exist, just dressed up differently with pretty colours or different places on the page.

The capital account is where your cash that results from either selling investments or cash you've transferred to HL, is kept.

The income account is cash that comes from income, eg dividends.

So if you only want to withdraw income, or reinvest the income in a particular way, its easy to distinguish that from cash you had after selling investments.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 7th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,896 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    badger09
    I hate change too, it is always worse, that's why my diet is still just rusks and milk.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    I expect your mum was very relieved you accepted the addition of rusks
    • MarcoM
    • By MarcoM 7th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    MarcoM
    Does anyone have an opinion on the HSBC dealing platform?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Does anyone have an opinion on the HSBC dealing platform?
    Originally posted by MarcoM
    Yes, it's expensive and doesn't offer the flexibility of others.

https://investments.hsbc.co.uk/pdf/invest-direct-rates-fees-kfd.pdf

Here's a link to the Monevator broker/platform comparison table, which should help you find a more suitable option:

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    • A_T
    • By A_T 7th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    A_T
    Originally posted by chucknorris

Strawman alert
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,900Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter