Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anthanator2
    • By anthanator2 6th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anthanator2
    interview conundrum
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    interview conundrum 6th Feb 18 at 5:51 PM
    Hi, my OH has an interview for a job tomorrow and this any other time would not be a big deal but she currently works for a franchisee of a company and has an interview for a job in one of the main stores for the exact same role.

She has multiple reasons for moving but we have discussed this as a stumbling block when it comes to the interview as we are finding it hard to find a way to phrase these reasons without "slagging off" the franchise that she works for.

1) She is currently doing the job of an assistant manager but is still being paid minimum wage even though she has alot more responsibility than before. i personally find this rather shady but she does it anyway.

2)She is only on a minimum hours contract at this current place. so her hours can fluctuate.

3) She is currently expected to go above and beyond her job role without benefit or recognition. (bare in mind the earlier statement about still being on minimum wage.)

She knows the brand and the company well and knows that all these issues above (except maybe the 3rd one but hopefully for different reasons) will be sorted if she can get into the main chain of the company but we are finding it hard to turn these into constructive statements to be used in an interview.
    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 6th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 6,292 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    Say more about what she wants, and less about the current place- leave them to read between the lines.

She has demonstrated capability acting up to take on the responsibility of an assistant manager and is keen for this role that will let her continue this
    responsibility with appropriate job title and remuneration. She is looking for a role with longer contracted hours.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • tealady
    • By tealady 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 3,297 Thanks
    tealady
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    I would say I hope to expand on the skills and knowledge acquired across all departments in a small branch. Emphasise that you could "drop in" on all departments and be an asset from day 1 yet stil be willing to learn how to operate on a larger scale
    HTH
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 4,827 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    Emphasise the positives. She is currently on limited hours and wants to increase etc. To be honest, you've covered most of the reasons for wanting to move on. Just leave out the bit about the manager at the current site.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 6th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 18,998 Posts
    • 19,389 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    Try some outrageous flattery? Working for a franchisee, she has been impressed by the structure and policies developed by the main company, but sees the opportunities in a franchise as far more limited, would love to work for the main player!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @brendyeire: @MartinSLewis A good bit more. Would have eaten more ten years ago, but was a student then. Now working FT and can afford m?

• RT @twikki: @MartinSLewis Quit meat in January and saved about £50-100 a month on my shopping and eating out. Feel a lot healthier about my?

• Today's twitter poll: How much meat & poultry do you eat now compared to ten years ago?

• Follow Martin