Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jimmypick
    Brand-new Wickes hob top shatters in weeks
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    Brand-new Wickes hob top shatters in weeks 6th Feb 18 at 5:48 PM
    Hi all,

My wife and I bought a new kitchen from Wickes before Christmas, which included an Electrolux electric hob top.

Within a matter of weeks, it has shattered. My wife moved a saucepan from one hob to another and the saucepan lid slid off from a height of around 4 inches. It hit the glass edge and the hob top has shattered.

We phoned the Wickes store and were very disappointed with their customer service. We had to phone seven times over a fortnight before we got anywhere.

Their decision, after consulting with Electrolux, is to offer us a new hob top at a reduced price of £126. We wanted a replacement for free and that they would pay for the installation.

Am I entitled to this and how can I go about achieving this?
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    The damage was caused by your wife dropping a pan, not an inherent fault. A reduced price replacement seems generous.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 10,387 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    Your wife damages the hob and you expect a free replacement?
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    The offer seems very generous to me. Great customer service from Wickes.
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    I might not have been clear in my opening post, but my argument is that for £500 I expected better quality than what we got. It wasn't like something heavy dropped from a big height. It was a small lid which fell from no more than six inches. Surely it's not fit for purpose if it's so flimsy?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 29,264 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    Hi all,

My wife and I bought a new kitchen from Wickes before Christmas, which included an Electrolux electric hob top.

Within a matter of weeks, it has shattered. My wife moved a saucepan from one hob to another and the saucepan lid slid off from a height of around 4 inches. It hit the glass edge and the hob top has shattered.

We phoned the Wickes store and were very disappointed with their customer service. We had to phone seven times over a fortnight before we got anywhere.

Their decision, after consulting with Electrolux, is to offer us a new hob top at a reduced price of £126. We wanted a replacement for free and that they would pay for the installation.

Am I entitled to this and how can I go about achieving this?
    Originally posted by jimmypick
    Try your house insurance

In my house I slam down pans on the stove, throw them in the sink and have never managed to damage my stove!
    Every fairy story always ends the same way
    Hope, then tragedy at the end of the world!
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 6th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    from a height of around 4 inches. It hit the glass edge and the hob top has shattered.
    which fell from no more than six inches.
    Not bad. 4" to 6" in just under an hour.

Being very heat resistant, the glass on the hob would be tempered which although makes it extremely hard and scratch resistant but being hard means it would be brittle and easy to crack or shatter which is why the following is stated in the user instructions for Electrolux glass and ceramic hobs:

Be careful not to let objects or cookware fall on the appliance. The surface can be damaged.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 6th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    I might not have been clear in my opening post, but my argument is that for £500 I expected better quality than what we got. It wasn't like something heavy dropped from a big height. It was a small lid which fell from no more than six inches. Surely it's not fit for purpose if it's so flimsy?
    Bite their hand off and accept their offer. Paying £126 for a £500 replacement item when the original was damaged by the user is very generous.
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    Not bad. 4" to 6" in just under an hour.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    I didn't think of measuring it. 4-6 was a guess. But I just have and the height of the pan used was a mere 3.5 inches.
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    Try your house insurance

In my house I slam down pans on the stove, throw them in the sink and have never managed to damage my stove!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Thanks for this reply. I have student houses and have never had any sort of crack in a ceramic hob top - and judging by the mess they're left in, they're not exactly looked after!

My wife says she was very careful - she's hardly dropped something heavy! the problem appears to be that it hit the very edge. It's made a small chip and there's a crack gone along one of the hobs. I can't believe that something can be sold that's so flimsy and not fit for purpose and that the customer isn't entitled to a like-for-like replacement.

I offered Wickes pictures but they weren't interested.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 6th Feb 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    cajef
    I didn't think of measuring it. 4-6 was a guess. But I just have and the height of the pan used was a mere 3.5 inches.
    In order to move the pan she must have lifted it so it could have been any height above 3.5", do you really expect them to supply a replacement for free and pay for fitting when it was damaged by yourselves?
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    OK, I can see I'm getting nowhere here.

For the record, in response to the last post, she slid the pan from the front to the back hob, the lid slipped off and hit the very edge of the ceramic top, which is raised up by approx 2mm over the kitchen worktop. It obviously hit a vulnerable point. Surely we've got a reasonable argument for saying we have been sold something which is defective?

You say we damaged it by ourselves. What if I bought a brand-new cricket bat which split in half when hitting a tennis ball? You surely have a right as a consumer to expect a product to have a certain robustness?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 10,698 Thanks
    marliepanda

For the record, in response to the last post, she slid the pan from the front to the back hob, the lid slipped off and hit the very edge of the ceramic top, which is raised up by approx 2mm over the kitchen worktop. It obviously hit a vulnerable point. Surely we've got a reasonable argument for saying we have been sold something which is defective?

You say we damaged it by ourselves. What if I bought a brand-new cricket bat which split in half when hitting a tennis ball? You surely have a right as a consumer to expect a product to have a certain robustness?
    Cricket bats are designed to hit balls.

Hobs are designed to get hot and cook food, not for you to drop things on them, pans, pan lids, crockery, nothing.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 6th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo

Fit for purpose made known is the full description of that term.

Had you bought a cricket bat and explicitly stated your intention was to hit tennis balls and the seller said that would be ok, you might have grounds for recourse.

Similarly if you had told them you intended to drop saucepan lids .... silly examples but you get the picture.

Products need to be fit for the purpose they are supplied for plus any specific purpose you made known

Sorry, this one isn't going in your favour.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt

Which it was.
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    A ceramic hob shouldn't break when a pan lid drops from 3.5 inches. If it does, then (in my unqualified opinion), it's defective. It should be more robust than that, especially at £500.

Putting aside the sarcasm and assumptions I'm lying, isn't this a fair point?

Can anyone with any knowledge of consumer law help?
    • jimmypick
    • By jimmypick 6th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jimmypick
    Fit for purpose made known is the full description of that term.

Had you bought a cricket bat and explicitly stated your intention was to hit tennis balls and the seller said that would be ok, you might have grounds for recourse.

Similarly if you had told them you intended to drop saucepan lids .... silly examples but you get the picture.

Products need to be fit for the purpose they are supplied for plus any specific purpose you made known

Sorry, this one isn't going in your favour.
    Originally posted by Greta Sharbo
    OK, thanks for this. This is quite helpful.

Of course, my intention wasn't to drop saucepan lids, but I would have thought that would come under some sort of expected wear and tear. Lids sit on pans and sometimes at an angle to allow steam to escape. They must come off onto the hop quite often. I'm amazed that it was able to crack the glass top.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 10,538 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    neilmcl
    A ceramic hob shouldn't break when a pan lid drops from 3.5 inches. If it does, then (in my unqualified opinion), it's defective. It should be more robust than that, especially at £500.
    Then get yourself a "qualified" opinion and prove it. You freely admit and recognise that the point where the lid hit, ie the edge of the hob, is where it's likely to the most vulnerable to breaks and chips so you can't really be surprised that this is exactly what has happened.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 10,538 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    neilmcl
    OK, thanks for this. This is quite helpful.

Of course, my intention wasn't to drop saucepan lids, but I would have thought that would come under some sort of expected wear and tear. Lids sit on pans and sometimes at an angle to allow steam to escape. They must come off onto the hop quite often. I'm amazed that it was able to crack the glass top.
    Again, it didn't crack the top, it caught and cracked the edge which in turn spread to the rest of the hob.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 6th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 14,259 Posts
    • 76,785 Thanks
    GDB2222

Putting aside the sarcasm and assumptions I'm lying, isn't this a fair point?

Can anyone with any knowledge of consumer law help?
    You can issue court proceedings. You’ve exhausted he complaint route.

The problem is proving your case in court, which will require an expert to look at the hob and assess the damage. This all starts to get rather expensive, and you cannot be sure that you have a case until you see the report.

If you issue proceedings the shop may not wish to defend, but you cannot rely on it.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,551Posts Today

8,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin