Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 93Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    5 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    5 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer 6th Feb 18 at 2:39 PM
    Waitrose is set to end the 'pick your own offers' part of its loyalty scheme, after apparently concluding that customers found it too "confusing"...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose to scrap "confusing" pick-your-own-offers loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 12th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    jon81uk
    I just had a letter from them offering me £2 off loo roll and £1 off yoghurts, plus a load of £4 off £40 vouchers. Useless to me as I never spent more than £40 there in one go, but I did shop there for a handful of basics every week all at 20% off. It's right opposite me so was super convenient. Annoying...the Waitrose effect is wearing off on me but I suppose all good things come to an end.
    Originally posted by MissG80
    I assume you know the fact that you never spend over £40 is why you get the vouchers to get you to spend more. We rarely spend over £10 so got £6 off £30, I used the free news paper and the valentines meal offer to bump up my spend and got to £30 fairly easily.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Just for those what were worried. You CAN use multiple vouchers in one shop. I just used up five of them. And they work in conjunction with PYO for a one off never to be repeated double super saving. Now when are those next vouchers going to show up that's the question - next month ? in three months ? in six months ?

And as an MSE related bonus, that competition £1000 voucher thing scans through as a penny off your shop. These trinkets sent to entice us...
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 12th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 47,458 Thanks
    rose28454
    I had a wonderful 1st year when our store opened as multi buys worked at whole amount on reduced items. One day I had a basketful and had to quickly buy some washing powder to avoid a negative total.
    Nowadays not so good. I find most of the staff quite snooty and they seem more interested in chatting about what they did last night than to serve you. I found Pick Your Own to be brilliant.
    The only shining light in mine is the butcher who I know by name and always gives me a good price.
    Goodbye Waitrose Hello ALdi
    • bakerk
    • By bakerk 12th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bakerk
    I don't know if I'm being daft, but I hope someone can help me. I do a weekly on line order and the Pick Your Own has never been confusing at all! I have received my new vouchers in the post, but cannot see any code to enter online when I complete my order. There is a code for the money off a total bill, but on the vouchers for individual products there is just a bar code. Am I missing something, or does this mean I can only use these vouchers in store? Because if that's the case I'm going to be a bit annoyed! Can anyone help?
    • Bougainvillea
    • By Bougainvillea 13th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    Bougainvillea
    I don't know if I'm being daft, but I hope someone can help me. I do a weekly on line order and the Pick Your Own has never been confusing at all! I have received my new vouchers in the post, but cannot see any code to enter online when I complete my order. There is a code for the money off a total bill, but on the vouchers for individual products there is just a bar code. Am I missing something, or does this mean I can only use these vouchers in store? Because if that's the case I'm going to be a bit annoyed! Can anyone help?
    Originally posted by bakerk
    I would suggest phoning customer service tel 0800 188 884 or 01344 82 5232
    • Bougainvillea
    • By Bougainvillea 13th Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    Bougainvillea
    Suggest National Campaign to keep Waitrose offers
    Is there anyway there could be a campaign to persuade Waitrose to continue the 'pick your own offers?' When Tesco said it would change the Clubcard scheme, they postponed it due to public response. Could similar pressure put on Waitrose to reconsider?

I love the scheme and I don't find it confusing. Friends also aren't confused. I frequently receive emails from Waitrose asking about instore service but they have don't ask if I like the pick your own offers.

I have the app on my phone - Waitrose normally has wifi - so I can check very quickly if an item is within the offer before I get to the tills.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 13th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Vote with your feet ?
    I considered not using my card, but then my vouchers will likely become a lot more random and therefore useless. I did a back-of-postage-stamp calculation - if I get a set of vouchers as useful as the last lot within three months then I'm marginally better off under the new system, So we'll see...

As for the confusion. Very poor market research fed to very poor decision makers. I'm surprised that they've taken this retrograde step, maybe they're heading the way of M&S and panicking which is a shame as I always liked the idea of the shareholder staff model
    • mabelcable
    • By mabelcable 13th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    mabelcable
    My Mum and I started shopping at Waitrose weekly 3years ago when Sainsburys changed the value of Nectar points and it became difficult to get enough points to double up.
    I did find it a bit fiddly at first to set up the 2 accounts and trawl through all the categories but once it was set up it was easy to use and we made great savings especially when the picks were on half price offers and having 2 cards gave us 20 picks. We will really miss the savings as it balanced out the higher prices especially with the £8 off £40 spend coupons. I wondered if it was on the way out when the chicken breasts disappeared from the picks.
    We will now only visit once a month or every couple of weeks depending on the vouchers. It is the only place we can get the Jacksons loaf but without the 20% off it wont be worth the trip. We spend £80/£90 a week between us and as the previous post said we can vote with our feet and take our money else where.
    It is poor of Waitrose to hide behind 'confusing' when it is clearly cost cutting. they could have someone instore with a tablet to help the 'confused' customers.
    Sorry for long post/rant
    Mxx
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 15th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    PYO served me pretty well as I managed to add most items I buy every time I visit. Waitrose is my primary supermarket.

Vouchers won't be anywhere near my previous savings. £3 off Cat litter won't save me as much as 20% off when I buy at least 5 bags per month or more. Just ordered 10 online and will order another 10 before end of February. Also voucher can only be used in shop, there's no code on it to use it online.

I got my vouchers, put them in a bag and totaly forgot about them. But I never forget to use MyWaitrose card because I'm asked about it. So there's a big chance I will forget to use vouchers and Waitrose will stop losing money on my shopping.

Vouchers I got are pretty similar to what I buy in Waitrose:
    £3 off cat litter
    £2 off salads
    £1.50 off soup but I was saving £0.79 on every soup box and was buying a few each time.
    £3 off cat food
    £2 off sea food, I was getting more with 20% off on just one item.

There's Morrison across the street from Waitrose, so I may get acquainted with their salad range, go back to ordering cat litter online or buy it while passing through Germany where it's much cheaper. I will certainly lose motivation to visit Waitrose. No other supermarkets nearby.

• jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 16th Feb 18, 2:18 AM
    • 12,333 Posts
    • 11,594 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I assume you know the fact that you never spend over £40 is why you get the vouchers to get you to spend more. We rarely spend over £10 so got £6 off £30, I used the free news paper and the valentines meal offer to bump up my spend and got to £30 fairly easily.
    Originally posted by jon81uk
    I don't know about the person you've quoted but maybe not likely. I rarely spend beyond £10 and it's very rare it even hits £20 in Waitrose. I do use the PYO offers but I have to be honest (and I am a fan of them before I say anything else) I often forget what I've saved on my list so a lot of what I purchase is not an offer on my list.
    However, my vouchers arrived, very few I could use (maybe the one with 50p of tomatoes) the majority were all £4 off £40. I've never in my life spend £40 in Waitrose- I don't even think I've spend £30 in one go there!

Maybe they are just trying to select their preferred customers and indirectly asking me to shop elsewhere...
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6,510 Posts
    • 19,395 Thanks
    Doc N
    The 10% £4 off £40 vouchers are of little value when most of the things Waitrose sell (with a few honourable exceptions) are around 50% more expensive than their Aldi and Lidl equivalents!

More and more people have discovered that (and that the quality's much the same, very often identical and from the same supplier), and that's probably why they're dopping the scheme - they simply can't afford to run it any more because they've lost so much trade.

Which? has just named Aldi as Britain's top supermarket (M&S 2nd, Lidl 3rd) with the following very telling comments. Waitrose looks to be on a downward slide it will never recover from, and I doubt dropping schemes like this is going to help it, from the comments above:

"Itís a return to the top for Aldi as the nationís favourite supermarket. The discounter has wowed customers with its value for money and pushed Waitrose off the top spot for the first time in three years.

Budget supermarkets are heaping pressure onto more traditional stores - Aldi and Lidl have both increased their market share over the past 12 months and shaken up the top of our table.

Waitrose, which has come top all but once since our survey first launched in 2007, slips down to fourth - its worst ever ranking. Despite gaining four and five-star ratings in other areas, it managed only two stars for value for money; in contrast to the five boasted by Aldi."
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 16th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Although I was a bit damning about this in my earlier post, when the coupons arrived they were better than I expected. One was for £2.50 off Marmite and what I wasn't expecting was you still get the PYO discount as well, so I got a £4.59 jar for £1.17.
    • cplatten
    • By cplatten 16th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    cplatten
    The one thing that does show is the inconsistency in customer experience we all have across different branches of the same supermarket. Each one has different parking terms and/or charges and a different quality of customer service.

I never found the Pick Your Own Offers confusing and will miss them a lot - but - nothing will make me turn to any other supermarkets again. We have two branches of Waitrose where I live and both are fantastic for selection, staff, size and atmosphere. I might save more money going to Lidl or Aldi but there are certain things by Waitrose I would miss too much. I have a chronic illness and rely a lot on ready meals and theirs are very good - especially as Tesco have reduced their Finest range so much lately and I don't have an M&S that near.

At Waitrose I can shop in a comfortable environment, in a store that is not too big (unlike my Sainsbury's) and sit down regularly when tired with a free coffee. I can get almost everything I need under one roof - unlike so many other places where their meat isn't ethical.

I am going to be a rare person standing up for them today. Price isn't everything in choosing a supermarket.
    Last edited by cplatten; 16-02-2018 at 2:11 PM.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 19th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    I used my paper coupons today, they worked together with PYO and other promotions so I saved quite a lot. However couldn't use coupon for butter because the one I use was out of stock. Didn't buy cat litter or cat food, as it's too heavy to carry it.

Why couldn't they work a bit longer on it and allow vouchers to be used online? You have to go to manned till or wait for staff to use you coupons at self-check out tills. Either way, waste of time.

So I think, I will go once a month to Waitrose when I get coupons, probably on a way back from somewhere when driving, to bring heavy stuff, and can buy anything else online wherever it's cheapest.

If there are no discounts related to MyWaitrose card, there's no point to scan it any more. End of data gathering and knowing when I shop and what I buy.

I never got money off certain amount vouchers by post mentioned earlier, however a couple of months ago, till printed £7 off £70. Got couple of these and went couple of times to stock up on long last products. I saw other customers getting them too, so it was probably bigger promotion/action.
    Last edited by Penelopa.Pitstop; 19-02-2018 at 1:45 PM.

• mon37
    • By mon37 19th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    mon37
    Now wait and see when they will scrap their free coffee offer - this is long overdue. I feel there will be £10 minimum spend in place soon, the same as for their newspaper.
    Last edited by mon37; 19-02-2018 at 2:46 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6,510 Posts
    • 19,395 Thanks
    Doc N

I never got money off certain amount vouchers by post mentioned earlier.........
    Originally posted by Penelopa.Pitstop
    For what it's worth, I found that these rather worthwhile vouchers (£8 0ff £40, for example) only started arriving after stopping shopping there for a while.

Judicious use of two MyWaitrose cards (self and wife) makes that quite easy - and Aldi's steady march upmarket makes it easier still!
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 19th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    I get this kind of vouchers from Tesco every few months, because I don't shop there except buying Momentum petrol.

I don't mind if coffee is scrapped, I don't think I had it more than a couple of times, as Waitrose is 5 minutes walk from home.

• Tigger1000
    • By Tigger1000 20th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Tigger1000
    Is this £10 spend at Waitrose to park at their car park is for their every store or just specific?
    Originally posted by mon37
    Specific stores - ours is still free.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Ours will have to stay free - none of the parking in our town is paid for. They'd get so much backlash, they daren't start charging!

Just got back from Waitrose - and guess what I forgot to take with me? That's right - my coupons!

I will not be flashing my Waitrose card there after next week - they can do without my data, unless they are giving me decent vouchers .....

I asked one member of staff this morning what reason there was to continue to show my card, and she couldn't think of one.

Suspect they will have shot themselves in the foot with this one!
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    Winnie the Pooh
    • Attila_the_Pun
    • By Attila_the_Pun 20th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Attila_the_Pun
    Oh dear, what have you done?
    The Pick Your Own scheme has been the top reason I shop at Waitrose in preference to other chains, and for me it has been a great money-saver. A scheme, as proposed, whereby instead Waitrose decides what items to make me offers for is not at all helpful. Other stores already do that, almost always selecting things I don't want to buy, and so Waitrose is losing its advantage here.

I am not at all concerned that many other customers cannot remember what items they picked and find the scheme confusing*. Why not allow customers to CHOOSE between Pick Your Own Offers and the proposed 'Waitrose will pick offers for you' scheme? That would not only preserve but improve the competitive advantage that Waitrose had established, by satisfying everyone.

If this change goes ahead, which seems almost certain, I shall go back to shopping mostly at Sainsbury's. At the moment, I have to choose between a local Waitrose in central London with no parking, and another a little further away where there is free parking only if I spend at least £50! So I usually go by bus in either case, but I have stayed with Waitrose, mainly because I like the Pick Your Own Offers scheme. I don't think a free newspaper and a coffee are enough to keep me shopping there, and I can park free for much lower spend at Sainsbury's anyway. Sorry, but goodbye, Waitrose.

AtP

* (The customer's pick-list is readily available, and can be changed, on the Pick Your Own Offers web app, which I use when in the store. It even gives pictures of the products so you make no mistakes over product weight etc. that you select.)
    Last edited by Attila_the_Pun; Yesterday at 7:04 PM. Reason: Re-ordered for clarity
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 6,510 Posts
    • 19,395 Thanks
    Doc N
    I agree entirely with Waitrose on this.

It's a confusing offer, and it's very decent of them to scrap the scheme for us to save us all from being so confused.

It's made me realise, in fact, just how confusing it is to shop at Waitrose, with all that confusing choice of highly priced products, all those confusing 'special offer' displays, all those confusing '3 for £10' offers, all those confusing 'was' prices and all that confusing voucher stuff.

So confusing was it all, in fact, that I opted for simplicity. Simple, unmanipulated, low prices. No fake offers, no vast trek round a store trying to tempt me into buying high-priced luxury items, no vouchers.

And I switched to Aldi.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

5,803Users online

Martin's Twitter