Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 6th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 91Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    Best IPS monitor around 100?
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    Best IPS monitor around 100? 6th Feb 18 at 2:23 PM
    Hi, can anybody offer any advice on which IPS monitor i should go for within my budget please?

I actually want two monitors and will put them onto a dual VESA MOUNT stand, so the monitor needs to have this feature. Minimum i need is 1920 x 1080.

My PC has 2 displayport sockets at the back but no HDMI ports, so i guess i would probably need to buy some kind of adapter/converter also?

Any advice would be really appreciated, there are so many monitors out there and i just can't decide which are good or rubbish.

I have been told TN panels are the older technology so that's why i was thinking of just going with IPS, although I'm not really a gamer to be honest but i do like to watch movies and stream sports.
    Last edited by guzzbuzz; 06-02-2018 at 2:39 PM.
Page 1
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 6th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    Your choice will be limited if 100 is your max budget, but if you upped it to 130 that would widen your choice.

Here's some examples from Amazon, a couple of which are below 100.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/-keywords=ips+monitor

TN monitors are cheaper, and have a much restricted viewing angle, and usually less accurate colours, but gamers have traditionally gone for them because of their fast response times.

IPS monitors have 178/178 viewing angles (i.e the contrast doesn't change if you look at them from above or below or from the sides, as it does with TN). Also they tend to have more vibrant and accurate colours.
    And nowadays the response rates on them are in the single figures of milliseconds, so fine for gaming as well.

As you say, you might have to search for one with Display Port, but HDMI to DP only requires the correct cable, as they are compatible.
    Example on Amazon. You can buy an adaptor slightly cheaper, if you already have a spare HDMI cable.
    Last edited by emptybox; 06-02-2018 at 3:00 PM.
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 6th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    Your choice will be limited if 100 is your max budget, but if you upped it to 130 that would widen your choice.

Here's some examples from Amazon, a couple of which are below 100.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/-keywords=ips+monitor

TN monitors are cheaper, and have a much restricted viewing angle, and usually less accurate colours, but gamers have traditionally gone for them because of their fast response times.

IPS monitors have 178/178 viewing angles (i.e the contrast doesn't change if you look at them from above or below or from the sides, as it does with TN). Also they tend to have more vibrant and accurate colours.
    And nowadays the response rates on them are in the single figures of milliseconds, so fine for gaming as well.

As you say, you might have to search for one with Display Port, but HDMI to DP only requires the correct cable, as they are compatible.
    Example on Amazon. You can buy an adaptor slightly cheaper, if you already have a spare HDMI cable.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    Thanks mate

Do you think it's even worth going for IPS then? Because it seems like two decent monitors are going to set me back 130-150 x 2 = 260-300

That's quite alot out of the budget i had already planned for to be honest.

Should i go for something cheaper, non IPS, maybe even a refurb? Like i said i don't game at all but will use to watch movies, stream youtube/sports as well as work on them.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 6th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    boliston
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    I would go with something like a pair of second hand dell u2414h if you want to run 2 screens - this is a 1920x1080 24" ips with displayport - actually pretty much any half decent screen built in the last 5 years should have displayport
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm
    also u2412m http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm
    Last edited by boliston; 06-02-2018 at 9:08 PM.
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 6th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    I would go with something like a pair of second hand dell u2414h if you want to run 2 screens - this is a 1920x1080 24" ips with displayport - actually pretty much any half decent screen built in the last 5 years should have displayport
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm
    also u2412m http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm
    Originally posted by boliston
    Thanks

But those are very expensive. The cheapest i could find on one on ebay 2nd hand was 155 and even that was up for auction. The buy it now options are around the 190 mark and 2 of those would be costing me 380-400 thats way out my budget to be honest mate.

They look amazing and have great reviews though!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 6th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    boliston
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    Thanks

But those are very expensive. The cheapest i could find on one on ebay 2nd hand was 155 and even that was up for auction. The buy it now options are around the 190 mark and 2 of those would be costing me 380-400 thats way out my budget to be honest mate.

They look amazing and have great reviews though!
    Originally posted by guzzbuzz
    I usually search ebay for "sold" auction items to get a ball park sale value - the u2412m has quite a few not much over the 100 mark
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Monitors/80053/i.html?LH_Auction=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from= ++R40&LH_ItemCondition++=3000&_nkw=u2412m
    - i'm a bit of a dell screen fan as i have used the u2713hm for the last 4 years - it looks just like the u2412m but slightly larger (i only have room for 1 screen)
    Last edited by boliston; 06-02-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Feb 18, 11:41 PM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:41 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:41 PM
    I have been told TN panels are the older technology so that's why i was thinking of just going with IPS...
    IPS came about in the mid-90s to address the problems of colour accuracy and viewing angles with TN panels, so neither is particularly new technology.

I have TN monitor that I'm mostly happy with. The monitor works well when it's horizontal (in landscape mode) and at or below eye-level. However, when I rotate it 90 degrees into the vertical position, the viewing angles are appalling.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 7th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    Thanks mate

Do you think it's even worth going for IPS then?
    It will depend on hoy much the gamma chnages annoy you. With TN panels parts of the monitor will appear darker - the top and bottom ususally. These bands will move depending on the position of your eyes and monitor angle. If they don't bother you then go for TN as it is cheaper. If they do annoy you then you will have to avoid TN.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,445Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter