Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stec1603
    • By Stec1603 6th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Stec1603
    Mortgage application
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    Mortgage application 6th Feb 18 at 11:44 AM
    Hello

I've currently 18 months in to a 2 yr tracker.
    in the next few months we will be looking at our options.

The question is this:

I have opened up an account separate from my joint account with my wife. The reason is I am saving up for a holiday as a surprise for my wife without her knowing.

When we apply for new mortgage, is this information going to be reviled to my wife at all?

Many thanks for your help
    Stephen
Page 1
    • David White
    • By David White 6th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    David White
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    Interesting one!

It really will depend on how you intend on applying for the mortgage as some lenders may want to see the statement.

Personally I would suggest using a broker and having a quiet word with them to explain the situation. If a client of mine did this I would be fine with it.

If you're going direct to a bank/BS I'd still try and have a chat beforehand however their hands might be a little more tied.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Stec1603
    • By Stec1603 6th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stec1603
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Super Thanks a lot

If I stay with current provider would that be the same?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 6th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 32,883 Posts
    • 17,716 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    There will be no requirements for a customer retention product from your existing lender.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 6th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 16,318 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    ACG
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    If you apply to the bank directly and they do ask for all bank statements, I suppose you could give them those statements separately and ask they call you if any queries - but like any big companies, mistakes are more likely.

If you stay with the current lender and just switch products (ie no additional borrowing) it is unlikely they would want any paperwork.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Stec1603
    • By Stec1603 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stec1603
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    Thanks a lot for all your help
    • Stec1603
    • By Stec1603 6th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stec1603
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    as a proviso my bank acc is with the current mortgage provider (Nationwide) however our joint acc is with another bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

9,157Users online

Martin's Twitter