Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smithers1981
    • By smithers1981 6th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 693Posts
    • 507Thanks
    smithers1981
    Aldi now accepting American Express
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    Aldi now accepting American Express 6th Feb 18 at 9:27 AM
    Just seen this over on hotukd, some folk may find info useful, i will be applying for a new Amex as all weekly shopping is done in Aldi.
    'Better to Live a Day as a LION than 100 years as a lamb'
Page 1
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    Yup, I think it pretty much shoots down the idea that Amex is 'too expensive' to take. If Aldi can take it, but Havianas can't...
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    Yup, I think it pretty much shoots down the idea that Amex is 'too expensive' to take. If Aldi can take it, but Havianas can't...
    Originally posted by AllieKat
    Of course a retailer the size of Aldi will have significant negotiating clout.
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    Maths work out different for every merchant but remember that every Amex card has the same interchange except for the small number considered four party cards thus regulated to 0.3%.

Visa and Mastercard are like a box of chocolates. You could get a British debit card regulated to 0.2% or a Dubai issued Visa Infinite or US issued Visa Signature (actually the US now has a couple Infinite cards, too - Infinite is the level above Signature). Or you could get a British corporate card. Including the original Curve (that's why it was business only officially).

Interchange on some of those is eye-wateringly high (much higher than Amex).

Depending on your target market, which chocolates are in your Visa/Mastercard box could vary widely. If you're selling to wealthy foreigners, primarily, you may well find Amex your cheapest card...
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 6th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    Maths work out different for every merchant but remember that every Amex card has the same interchange except for the small number considered four party cards thus regulated to 0.3%.
    It's not a very small number, it includes all British Airways, Nectar, SPG, CostCo Harrods etc. branded credit cards (pending an upcoming EU judgement).
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    Is Amex accepted at Lidl?

I'm considering applying for one but I do my shopping at Lidl and get my fuel at Tesco so its no use if I can't use for the food shopping!
    Last edited by fatrab; 06-02-2018 at 3:53 PM.
    Make a plan. Stick to the plan. If it's not in the plan - DONT DO IT!
    February's Goals - 13/18 NSD - 13/19 Lunches - 20/28 AFD - 16/28 TAFD (take away free days)
    LBM Dec 2017 - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 8lb lost so far
    14 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 4,838 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    Starting today, Aldi (in England) are now accepting American Express!

Saw this on www.headforpoints.com this morning, and just used my Amex in my local Aldi.

(Don't know if this is UK wide or not.)

Oddly, nothing in my local store or on the Aldi website about the change.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 6th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 4:38 PM

Visa and Mastercard are like a box of chocolates. You could get a British debit card regulated to 0.2% or a Dubai issued Visa Infinite or US issued Visa Signature (actually the US now has a couple Infinite cards, too - Infinite is the level above Signature). Or you could get a British corporate card. Including the original Curve (that's why it was business only officially).

Interchange on some of those is eye-wateringly high (much higher than Amex).

Depending on your target market, which chocolates are in your Visa/Mastercard box could vary widely. If you're selling to wealthy foreigners, primarily, you may well find Amex your cheapest card...
    I would hazard a guess that almost all cards that Aldi processes are from the UK/EEA and are personal.

Amex could also negotiate a special deal (a la Costco) so that their earning rate is lower - especially since it's ditching 3rd party issuers.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 4,838 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    Amex have just launched an Aldi promotion. Spend 10 in store for a 5 statement credit. Applies until 30 April. Need to register. Limited to first 80,000 customers.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 8th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Edi81
    The offer was still active when I loaded it just now onto my BA Amex card.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    msallen
    Not available on my Costco Amex card
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 8th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    MABLE
    Even Poundland accept Amex.
    • Pier
    • By Pier 8th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Pier
    The offer was still active when I loaded it just now onto my BA Amex card.
    Originally posted by Edi81
    I don't have the Aldi offer on my British Airways Credit Card, but I have it on my Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card, which I barely use and keep only because it has good offers regularly. I would quite like to know what is the Amex algorithm to select those offers
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 8th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    it still is a premium card, just look at the cashback deals and other perks amex gets. They cant offer these without their hefty fees.

it just means aldi is slowly going to become a bit more expensive. They'll just absorb the cost and spread it out to all the customers
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,561 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    it just means aldi is slowly going to become a bit more expensive. They'll just absorb the cost and spread it out to all the customers
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    It's nice to know that my 40p loaf of bread will become 42p, so that those better than me can use their Amex to buy the Aldi lobster.

So glad to be helping those who are struggling to pay cash for their food.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 8th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 4,838 Thanks
    Nick_C
    It's nice to know that my 40p loaf of bread will become 42p, so that those better than me can use their Amex to buy the Aldi lobster.

So glad to be helping those who are struggling to pay cash for their food.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Thank you. We appreciate it!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,561 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Thank you. We appreciate it!
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    You're welcome. Don't forget to pop along to the Premium Champagne range aisle on your way out
    • joe134
    • By joe134 8th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    joe134
    Just saved to my card, but, cannot remember how to save to wifes card.
    Used to when shopsmall was going!
    Can anyone tell me how please?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    it still is a premium card, just look at the cashback deals and other perks amex gets. They cant offer these without their hefty fees.

Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    There is no evidence for this.

I'd be astonished if Aldi haven't negotiated a very competitive deal with Amex. It would also be interesting to do a comparison between such a deal and their cash handling costs.

Just saved to my card, but, cannot remember how to save to wife!!!8217;s card.
    Used to when shopsmall was going!
    Can anyone tell me how please?
    Originally posted by joe134
    Register her for their online servicing - they provide a cut down version to additional cardholders.
    • joe134
    • By joe134 8th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    joe134
    There is no evidence for this.

I'd be astonished if Aldi haven't negotiated a very competitive deal with Amex. It would also be interesting to do a comparison between such a deal and their cash handling costs.

Register her for their online servicing - they provide a cut down version to additional cardholders.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    thanks Heng, will try that by logging into my a/c.
    EDITed..just tried that, but obviously doing something wrong.
    Logged into my a/c, then add online servicing, put wife!!!s card details, then my user Id and PW, it says card is already registered?
    Do I use my id and PW at second stage, or, create onother for wife?
    Last edited by joe134; 08-02-2018 at 2:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter