Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BartyBoy
    • By BartyBoy 6th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 403Posts
    • 40Thanks
    BartyBoy
    Grindeys Solicitors in Stoke-on-trent
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    Grindeys Solicitors in Stoke-on-trent 6th Feb 18 at 7:37 AM
    Hello all

I am after some advice please. I am currently buying a property and I am recommended by my mortgage broker to use Grindeys Solicitors in Stoke-on-Trent. I just wonder if anyone has used this business before, and if so, are they good or bad please?

Currently the business quotes me £665 + VAT for their legal fee. I have found another solicitors firm in Norwich it quotes me £295 + VAT. So I just see if it is worth to pay the extra £370 + VAT to use Grindeys.

Any suggestions and recommendations are very welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 6th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 4,605 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    Are they local????? Advice on here is ALWAYS go for a local solicitor and not some distant firm who give a backhander to someone in order for the recommendation!
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 6th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 24,140 Posts
    • 51,026 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    Hello all

I am after some advice please. I am currently buying a property and I am recommended by my mortgage broker to use Grindeys Solicitors in Stoke-on-Trent. I just wonder if anyone has used this business before, and if so, are they good or bad please?

Currently the business quotes me £665 + VAT for their legal fee. I have found another solicitors firm in Norwich it quotes me £295 + VAT. So I just see if it is worth to pay the extra £370 + VAT to use Grindeys.

Any suggestions and recommendations are very welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by BartyBoy

Ask yourself, and them, what isn't included in that, very low, figure.
    • BartyBoy
    • By BartyBoy 6th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    BartyBoy
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    Ask yourself, and them, what isn't included in that, very low, figure.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Thank you for your message, I must say I don't know what is included and what isn't for the £275 fee from the Norwich firm. All they say is £275 legal fee.

Having said that, I also don't know what the £665 legal fee is included from Grindeys Solicitors too.
    • BartyBoy
    • By BartyBoy 6th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    BartyBoy
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    Are they local????? Advice on here is ALWAYS go for a local solicitor and not some distant firm who give a backhander to someone in order for the recommendation!
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Thanks for your message too...

Grindeys is not local to me, so I think you are right and it makes sense that I should go with a local solicitor.
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 6th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,098 Thanks
    ~Beanie~
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    I have used Grindeys, as have members of my family however they are local to me. The service was fine, no problems at all.

• LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 6th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 24,140 Posts
    • 51,026 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    Thank you for your message, I must say I don't know what is included and what isn't for the £275 fee from the Norwich firm. All they say is £275 legal fee.

Having said that, I also don't know what the £665 legal fee is included from Grindeys Solicitors too.
    Originally posted by BartyBoy

Even £665 is unlikely to include all the costs.

Does it, for instance, include the charge for acting for your mortgage lender (which you will have to pay), or the cost of completing the SDLT form, or an estimate of the cost of searches.

You need to have a realistic estimate of the total you will be paying to them not just their 'fees'.
    • mrsjanebanbury2009
    • By mrsjanebanbury2009 6th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    mrsjanebanbury2009
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    Having just spent several times that amount on a conveyancing solicitor, I have to say it was totally worth it. When you're buying a house the absolute last thing you want is for your solicitor to be rubbish, holding things up, not answering calls, cutting corners etc. Now clearly paying a higher fee does not necessarily mean they will be better, but I do think this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for - probably more experienced solicitors who know what they are doing and so on. Really, in the greater scheme of how much you are spending on a house, it's worth paying a bit more to help it all run smoothly.
    Add: I'm not saying you should go for Grindeys, I have no idea who they are or what their service is. But £275 is waaaaaay to low, good solicitors will be getting paid hundreds of pounds an hour so at that cost you will either get a) inexperienced/bad solicitors or b) not enought time being spent on your conveyancing
    P.S. I am not a solicitor btw!
    Last edited by mrsjanebanbury2009; 06-02-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wanted to make an addition
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

4,459Users online

Martin's Twitter