Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Feb 18, 5:54 AM
    • 1,326Posts
    • 12,568Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 6th February 2018
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:54 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 6th February 2018 6th Feb 18 at 5:54 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Feb 18, 5:57 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 12,568 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:57 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:57 AM
    Morning everyone

Iíve just slept right through for five hours, and have certainly woken up feeling much better than I have for the past couple of days.

Another really cold start to the day here, Iíve just peered out of the curtains and it looks frosty and probably icy as well.

I donít have anything that I absolutely must do this morning, so I donít think I will go out and risk falling over again. Iíve still got the scar from the fall I had when it was slippery at the end of November.

I think I will strip the bed and get the bedding in the washing machine this morning and give the kitchen a good clean.

Dinner will be lasagne. Iíve got the ragu out of the freezer so just need to make the b!chamel sauce, so not much effort required.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Feb 18, 6:18 AM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 40,606 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:18 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:18 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Still dark, cold and frosty. Forecast says we could get snow overnight tonight.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, peas/veg. I remembered to get the pork chops out to defrost so tonight we'll have those with mash, veg and gravy.

Work yesterday was a busy day so passed quickly, we'll see what today brings.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 16,385 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:23 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting us off Hollyharvey.
    I had a sort of average night, hopefully enough sleep to get me through the day but with several wakeful periods. I'm up but not yet showered but I don't need a particularly early start today. My work phone has taken the decision to stop showing my emails or online diary and although I can catch up on the emails at the office, I'm not quite sure what I'm meant to be doing today though I don't think anything specific early morning. Oddly I can remember my appointments for tomorrow and Thursday.
    It is meant to be icy later so I'll be going to the office in my builder's boots, not necessarily elegant but they have great tread.
    My DS is preparing for a trip to the USA at the end of the week, lucky old him!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 6th Feb 18, 6:26 AM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 43,524 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:26 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:26 AM
    Morning All

It's freezing! There is a light covering of snow but nothing too bad. The wind is really cold, hope you all manage to stay warm, especially you JackieO!

Got a load of logs on the way home yesterday, there seems to be a shortage of the heat logs so was happy to see them in store. Also got 2 bags of coal for £2 each as the bags had holes in. The coal seems to keep the fire in all night so it's still fairly warm in the house in the morning.

Housework is up to date, just need to sort some things to take away at the weekend, I'm going to DS2s in The Netherlands on Friday night, he's been away for 6 months, it will be good to see him.

Have a good day, hope all the poorlies, sads and worrieds are ok, take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 37,421 Thanks
    Gers
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:39 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Itís really dark still, must be loads of cloud cover as the moon is out of sight.

Iím not getting up for another twenty minutes as Iím so cosy in bed. More teaching this morning.

Thatís all for now. I hope everyone has a good day. Happy Tuesday.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    Morning all, bitterly cold here. I've had a bad night and been awake for ages, but didn't want to get up as I knew how cold the house would be.

Glad you've had a better night Holly and thanks for starting off.

Yesterday went as planned. Today I've got Tai Chi this morning, maybe do a bit of shopping on way home. Our Residents' Association meets tonight, then it will be the usual Tuesday night quiz after that.

Think i'll do some ironing this afternoon, There's not much but I know how quickly it develops into a towering pile. I don't know why though - it's one of the mysteries of life - there are only two of us.

May get some sewing done as well we'll see.

Stay safe and warm today folks.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Feb 18, 6:50 AM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 24,621 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:50 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting us off. I have had a disjointed night of dreaming, waking and sleeping but nothing new there.

Flippin' 'eck but it's a cold one. I hope JACKIE managed to keep warm without the CH. It reminds me of the days when I was a child and woke up to find the windows all frozen up. You had to breath on them and rub a little hole to peep out of. I wouldn't like to go back to those days!

We have the kitchen man coming this afternoon to measure up and then price up. I cleaned the cupboard out under the sink yesterday in case he wants to look in there! Unbelievable the stuff I chucked away so now all tidy. I have chosen (provisionally) vanilla cupboards - is that the new cream? - and dark oak worktops. Apart from changing the sink the other way round I think it will remain much the same. The kitchen isn't big enough to have grand ideas sadly - but at least it keeps the cost down!

Not a lot else planned for today. We did our tip run yesterday followed by a wander round HB's but didn't let much escape from my purse!

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried or lonely. DUMPLING I hope Becky managed school yesterday. Take care all and keep warm xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tru
    • By tru 6th Feb 18, 6:50 AM
    • 8,613 Posts
    • 43,927 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

I was expecting frost this morning, so I turned the temp up on the boiler. It's too warm in here so I nipped outside, it's cold but not too cold, completely still and silent apart from a couple of birds chirping. A couple of what I thought were bits of fluff floated into my face, I was just wondering why fluff was floating around when I realised it was snow. Tiny flakes are drifting about and falling slowly. It's so lovely and peaceful.

I now have A Plan for the spare room. I can't have a real life beach hut so I'm going to turn this room into one White walls, blue curtains, sandy coloured carpet, a couple of cartoony seaside paintings, some blue and white nik-naks I've collected from Cornwall over the years and I might even crochet some bunting White shelves for yarn storage and a white desk for working Ė probably both from Ikea. I would prefer wood but almost passed out when I saw the prices, lol. I can't do much til the electrics are sorted, but I'm happy to wait.

I worked yesterday, I don't have to do anything until thursday now. The shopping won't be here til lunchtime so I'll quickly tidy up then take Scampi out for a short walk. He's woken up very grumpy so I know he won't tolerate strangers today but he needs to get out for a bit and so do I, I haven't left the house for three days.

Bulletproof
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 16,385 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    And just after I posted, the snow started so bovver boots it is!
    Tru, that sounds lovely.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,302 Thanks
    Floss
    Tru have you looked at the table tops in Ikea with separate legs for your desk? Might be cheaper than a wooden desk
    • redruby
    • By redruby 6th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    • 6,580 Posts
    • 91,383 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Very cold here but no frost there is a bitter wind though so that may have stopped the frost a bit. I am envious of those with snow we have not even had a flake !

Chicken for dinner which I will do in a Cajun sauce rub thing that I have in the cupboard and some dauphinoise type potatoes that OH got in Aldi and some veg.

Will have a quick tidy round tonight but its not too bad, and I need to put a wash on.

Jackie O I hope you are ok and not too cold xx

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Feb 18, 7:24 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Woke up early for some reason and have been pottering Dolly has not surfaced yet so am having a cuppa before her walk no snow here and no frost on the cars maybe Essex is a hot spot today
    I am off to DD1 for the arrival of her bed and i need to take DS to the gym so running around today
    Tru your indoor beach hut sounds lovely
    Dumpling hope yesterday went well for the girlies
    Dinner tonight is a pasta affair for the boys and chicken and cauliflower rice for me
    Have a great day whatever you are up to and stay warm x
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 6th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 3,476 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

Thanks Holly for starting us off.

A little snow has fallen here, a bit has settled on the pavements. I shall be wearing my thermals and several layers, as I am outside today at work.

From work I shall nip to the shops and back home.

The last of 'Next of Kin' is on tonight.

Tonight is microwave tea night.

Wrap up warm, if you need to venture out x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 29,212 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

We don't have snow yet and I'm not at all jealous. Today is the day that I help my friend with her Uni assignments. It's also the last day before our slimming world weigh in so I've made mushroom soup and rhubarb in jelly for lunch. We help to keep each other on track and so far it's working well.

I had a heart stopping moment yesterday. School rang me at 12:30 to ask where the HT was. I told them he was there and they had better find him and call me back. They did find him and they did call me back but it was still a very scary 10 minutes. His teacher said she'd marked him in when he asked her so goodness knows what went wrong there.

I have one cat that went out for 5 minutes (she's usually out for hours even if she only sits at the bottom of the garden) and one that won't go out at all so the weather fore-CATS say it's officially cold. Hope JackieO is ok and yes Hollyharvey, stay in if you can.

Take care all of you
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Feb 18, 7:48 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 29,212 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Uh oh, snow has just started........
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    • 15,600 Posts
    • 131,627 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and thanks for starting us off Holly,glad you had a better sleep.Well I snuggled down in my bed last night early as I had no heating indoors and it was as though I had been transformed back to the 1940s when houses were always freezing But undeterred I had two hot water bottles plus a hot flask and lots of throws on the bed plus my OHs old jumper that I kept to remind me of him I was pretty cosy and with my laptop quite comfortable as well I don't think I have been in bed so early for years But this morning hopefully my engineer will arrive with the part to fix the heating.He is the chap who regularly services the boiler and is really nice and very helpful. My Corgi Plan is well worth the money as its usually only when you need it the most that things break down Plus I give the company 10/10 as after I had reported the fault and the chap had rung to fix a time to come yesterday afternoon, before he arrived, the main company had rung to ask and ensure he had been in touch. So I am a happy old lady at the moment ,even though I am not looking forward to my extremely quick wash this morning . I will shower after the heatings back on again its going to be a lick and a promise first thing though

After he's been and gone I have to do my first food shop of the month ,but with only a few essentials to buy it won't come to much,basically cheese,eggs,milk and some fruit as I am eating from my stores this month I will pop into Dobbies to see if their large chunks of reduced gammon are left and if so, will get one ,but if they are all gone then I will save my pennies

Quiz night tonight and that's always a good night out so no cooking for me tonight.

Birthday tomorrow, and DD is coming round as its her day off, and eldest DD is coming after she finishes work in the afternoon.So I will see both of my daughters on the same day that doesn't happen that often as they are both busy ladies.

No snow yet this morning but it is a nippy one ,so if you are going out take great care as the roads will be icy

Have a good day chums and keep warm and dry .

Cheers JackieO xxx

P.S.tru the decor sound really nice and cheerful
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb: £12.44 today plus £18.05 =£30.49
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 22,984 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly.

Cold here with little flurries of snow coming down but like others very still with not a breath of wind, sitting here watching the birds moving through the hedge.
    We are heading into Cambridge this morning as I want to look in Dunelm for some curtains for the dining room, five years ago when Tilly was a pup she chewed the bottom of one of the ones we have so I had to hem it up and it's stayed that bit shorter ever since am finally getting around to replacing them.
    Other than that will get over to see lovely Lulu, food wise we have veggie sausages for supper so it's a meat free day.

Glad you stayed so warm and snug JackieO hopefully your CH will be fixed today.
    TRU the beach hut theme sounds lovely.

Have a good day folks and take care if there is lots of snow your way x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 14,471 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Goooooooood morning,

Gutted to wake up to an inch of snow outside this morning. For the first time in my life I'm desperate to see the back of the snow.

Played football last night which was fun as always. Managed to catch up on the SuperBowl too. I've been trying to grasp the American Football and I'm slowly getting there.

Tonight, my team Rangers are playing. I think it's on TV, so I'll watch that either at my mine or my mates. Probably mine come to think of it as I've some errands to do around the flat.

London tomorrow for 2 days with work, so catching the red eye first thing and not back until 6ish on Thursday. Should be a good trip though.

Nout else to report.

TA - Sounds lovely!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 6th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

No snow yet but forecast shortly.I suppose I should take the hound out but I've found it better to wait until after 9 if I can,fewer dogs and less traffic on the road I cross to get to the park (secondary school traffic).

I popped up the road yesterday morning to see my mums cousin so we had a nice chat.Didnt stay too long as she wanted to pick her new glasses up. I was meeting a friend in town in the afternoon.We had a bit of a mooch round the shops as she wanted a new jacket/coat but we didnt spot anything-the shops are getting their summer ranges in.
    We stopped for coffee and cake but this habit has to stop,I weighed myself for the first time in ages and I reckon I've gained nearly a stone over the last year ,so back to low carbing for me.Shame - do love cake
    Not sure whats for tea yet,something from the freezer I think-possibly salmon.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Tru-like the beach hut theme

Take care and have a good day.Hope you get your heating fixed JackieO
    xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter