Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LouiseRi
    • By LouiseRi 5th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LouiseRi
    Ex partner got company to do search
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    Ex partner got company to do search 5th Feb 18 at 10:32 PM
    Without telling me, my ex partner got a company to do a search on whether there was any PPI on our joint mortgage, and now needs my permission to let him give them my details, so that a claim can be made. He has told me that as they have already done a search, I won't be able to search myself and that they will be entitled to 30% of any payment made in connection with the mortgage, but I am worried that once they have my details they will say that they are also entitled to any other payment due in my name.
    Knowing my luck I won't be due any other payments, but
    a) is it correct that they would be entitled to 15% of my half of any payment due on the mortgage, and
    b) would they be able to make a claim on anything else in my name once I give my permission in connection with this search?
    Any guidance would be most welcome. Thank you
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 19,483 Posts
    • 10,583 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:46 PM
    Only your ex has to pay the Claim company since only he has signed a contract with them.

Any redress awarded to you both will be split 50/50 and you won't have to pay anything.

Be careful not to sign any permissions from the Claim Company.
    • LouiseRi
    • By LouiseRi 5th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LouiseRi
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    So if I don't sign anything, will they be able to claim just by my letting them have my details?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Feb 18, 11:07 PM
    • 19,483 Posts
    • 10,583 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:07 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:07 PM
    So if I don't sign anything, will they be able to claim just by my letting them have my details?
    Originally posted by LouiseRi
    You sign your joint agreement to a complaint with the Bank. This must exclude the Claims Company in your case.
    • LouiseRi
    • By LouiseRi 5th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LouiseRi
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    Do I have to raise this myself as the ex has said that I can't make a seperate claim as the company has already done the initial search?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 91,087 Posts
    • 58,097 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    Your ex is telling porkies. Probably realised that if successful, they have to pay all the bill and is trying to get you to sign up to half of it.

The so called search does not hold you to making a complaint via the CMC.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 5th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    Do I have to raise this myself as the ex has said that I can't make a seperate claim as the company has already done the initial search?
    The ex is telling you what the company has told him... in reality if you make contact with the bank and you submit a claim form to them the claims company would not be able to touch your money.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    • 15,855 Posts
    • 40,027 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    "Well he would say that, wouldn't he?". As the saying goes.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter