Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 5th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 6,123Posts
    • 4,400Thanks
    vansboy
    Kitchen Island Colours
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    Kitchen Island Colours 5th Feb 18 at 8:30 PM
    The plan for new kitchen is to have a 5m run of wall units, in light gloss grey with matt black worktop.

In front would be an island, 3m x 1.2m, but thinking of this being in light gloss green units and matt white worktop.

Trying to make things look less clinical and make the island more of a feature within itself, rather than just another part of kitchen.

Any thoughts on this appreciated, please

Thanks in advance

VB
Page 1
    • mclaren32
    • By mclaren32 5th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    mclaren32
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    It seems like a current trend to mix colours so whilst it sounds fine now to do what your suggesting will you feel the same in 5 years time?

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 24,446 Posts
    • 67,310 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    Not sure about four colours. I would keep the worktops the same for continuity. People sometimes mix material on worktops, so wood and stone for contrast, but not same materials in different colours, that I can think of. It might look like a branch of Howdens, looking like two different kitchens being displayed in a small space

Cabinets in different colours is a pretty popular trend.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,269 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    The matt worktops will be a pig to keep (looking) clean !
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 6th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    The matt worktops will be a pig to keep (looking) clean !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

Agree, as I've ad the same black surface previously in a smaller kitchen. It did look good when it was spotless, but even then just a few moments later, it would appear to be needing another dusting.

That's why I'd thought of the white, for the island, as well as hoping it would look good on top of green panels. Where Doozergirl had suggested too much of a variation, the white might look 'washed out' or clinical on the wall units,if they are the light grey, I've chosen.

Do appreciate all your input, thanks

VB
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 6th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    I think I would go for different worktop on the island (wooden maybe) but keep the same colour units, just because you will be quite limited in what wall colours will go with both grey and green, and changing the walls is the cheapest way to give a room a fresh look if you want to in future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter