Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 5th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 15Thanks
    StevenB12
    Previous Employer destroyed training certificates?
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    Previous Employer destroyed training certificates? 5th Feb 18 at 7:24 PM
    Hello,

I left my old employer in October last year, when I left fortunately I had my main and more important training certificates in physical card form with me, but there were about 5 certificates that my employer kept in their records as they were paper certificates. When I left I was promised they would be posted out to me or emailed, I have received none.., when I contacted them today as I need 2 of them ASAP, I was told that they had destroyed them "in order to make room for new employees".

Where do I stand on this? Do I have any case against them in order to obtain a replica copy?
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    Were they in house certificates or accredited by a recognised organisation? You could apply for copies if its the latter. I'm not sure there is much you can do other than maybe write to your old employer, tell them they have destroyed property that was yours and you are unhappy because its now going to cost you to get replacements. Then invoice them!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    Did your employer pay for the courses and exams?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 5th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    Did you pay for the training and certification or did the company pay for it?
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 5th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    All of them were recognised training providers, 3 of them were done in house on office computers but it was still through an accredited training firm.

Company paid for some , I paid for the rest and ironically the ones I need I paid for (out of wages) , but it was training that had to be provided so it was a must at the time
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 5th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    Have you contacted the training firm to ask them to provide copies?
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 6th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    I've contacted two of them but both of them have said more or less that since it was my old company that applied for the training that they need the permission off them in order to send out a replica
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 6th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 6,050 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    I've contacted two of them but both of them have said more or less that since it was my old company that applied for the training that they need the permission off them in order to send out a replica
    Originally posted by StevenB12
    Well that's what you need then, assume they don't exist at ex-company but training company have them but can't release them till ex-company say it's ok...contact ex-company and ask them to provide this permission.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    and ask nicely! They aren't obliged to help you
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If the company have paid for the training then they are within their rights to refuse to allow you you take the certification with you when you leave. I am in that boat, I have certification that the company will keep when I leave.

Quite a common stance. They pay why should another company profit from it.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 6,490 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    ohreally
    The certificate generally belongs to the candidate not the employer.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 4,815 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the situation, it seems the only way the OP will be able to obtain copies is to 'play nice' with the former employer. It will cost the employer little to provide confirmation to the training company that they are happy to have duplicate certificates provided.
    It may simply be a case that they assumed the OP had taken everything they wanted/needed when they left so they simply destroyed what they believed wasn't wanted.
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 6th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    I contacted my old employer and they haven't replied which I'm taking as sign that they probably won't give the go ahead to the training providers for a duplicate.

More of an erk that the reason they gave me was to "make room" for new employees, even though they were supposed to me my certificates within a month of me leaving. Hopefully when the providers do contact them they might just give them the nod.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 15,539 Posts
    • 21,244 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    If YOU paid for the training and they are retaining the certificate, then I suggest sending them a letter before action asking for the return of the certificate within 7 days, otherwise you will take them to court for a refund of £XXXX which is the amount you paid for the training.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 6th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 6,050 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    I contacted my old employer and they haven't replied which I'm taking as sign that they probably won't give the go ahead to the training providers for a duplicate.

More of an erk that the reason they gave me was to "make room" for new employees, even though they were supposed to me my certificates within a month of me leaving. Hopefully when the providers do contact them they might just give them the nod.
    Originally posted by StevenB12
    I don't suppose you could do that £10 thing with the training company where you request all information they have on you.

This says public companies though...maybe someone else will have more info as it's not my for-tay.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-freedom-of-information/receiving-a-request/
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    unforeseen
    It still wouldn't provide the certificates just the entry on the records that the course had been passed.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    unforeseen
    As for who owns them, a lawyer's answer is

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-employment-law/7ytfr-training-certificates-employer-paid.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin