Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittennose
    • By kittennose 5th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 3Thanks
    kittennose
    New car delivered with a fault
    • 5th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    New car delivered with a fault 5th Feb 18 at 6:24 PM
    Looking for help

Less than 2 weeks ago I purchased a car from a reputable garage, all done online, paid by BACS and had it delivered.

The car however was delivered with a fault (it's intermittently jumpy on acceleration). The garage have been notified and the response is for me to claim on the warranty (RAC Gold).

I like the car, and half trust the garage (in 2 months one of the few garages selling this particular car at my price point that isn't a garage that's been in business for 6 months with no reviews, or a garage with bad reviews). I have the option of taking it to my local garage tomorrow for a diagnosis.

That said I am annoyed at the issue, however slight and fear diagnosis (which isn't covered by warranty) and any subsequent repairs will be messy and possibly costly.

I understand being a distance sale I have 2 weeks to reject the vehicle for no reason? That deadline is tomorrow hence looking for advice.

One thing that concerns me is that the price of the vehicle was £6500 - I was offered £2300 for my car as a trade-in which I accepted - this was all done on the phone.

I've since looked through the documentation and noticed they have done some creative accounting on the invoice and listed the sale of the car as £6100 and the PX as £1900 - so it's possible if I did return the car they would be able to claim I paid only £6100 for it.

I'm at a total loss as what to do. It was a huge purchase for us.
Page 1
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 5th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 13,387 Posts
    • 8,496 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    You phone them and arrange for a repair

I should t cost a penny being only 2 weeks old. Irrespective of warrabty
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    The creative accounting you describe is normal. They were probably offered £1900 for your px within the trade and since there is no VAT relief for losses on sale price but VAT is charged on gross profit on a car, if they stick to the original figures it costs them money.

the figure to change cars is the same though

but you have effectively only paid £6100 for it....which is what you could have paid for it in readies with no px

hopefully they'll sort it out, it can't be major (famous last words...)
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 5th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    Exactly as above, get it fixed by the selling dealer, I'm sure it won't be a problem
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 14,664 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    I really wish people wouldn't say "new car", then go on to talk about a used car.

The important thing with a used car is how old, and what's the fault? "Intermittently jumpy on acceleration" could be damn near anything, all the way from an inexperienced driver not being familiar with it.

If you really want to reject it, you have 30 days. If they don't accept the rejection, you need to put the car beyond your use - physically return it - and then sue them for the money. The value of your PX would be included in the claim, which would be for £6100 + £1900 = £8000, as shown on the invoice.
    • kittennose
    • By kittennose 6th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kittennose
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    You phone them and arrange for a repair

I should t cost a penny being only 2 weeks old. Irrespective of warrabty
    Originally posted by arcon5
    They are just going to say we'll happily repair it if you bring it back to us - which is going to cost me £70 in fuel and 6 hours of my time.

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    They are just going to say we'll happily repair it if you bring it back to us - which is going to cost me £70 in fuel and 6 hours of my time.

Originally posted by kittennose
    Who's fault is it that you bought it from a distant location? It's one of the risks that you take when travelling a distance to buy a car. You should only take risks that you calculate.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 14,664 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 10:09 AM

Purely by coincidence, there's another thread on a very similar line right now.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789255

You chose to buy from a supplier a distance away. You knew their location.
    • kittennose
    • By kittennose 6th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kittennose
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    Who's fault is it that you bought it from a distant location? It's one of the risks that you take when travelling a distance to buy a car. You should only take risks that you calculate.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver

You chose to buy from a supplier a distance away. You knew their location.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I totally agree buying at a distance was a risk and I happily took it. I also understood my rights in that I am covered and can return items purchased this way within 2 weeks for no reason and that was a comfort to me.

I'm not blaming anyone for that, I was just wondering on the best way to sort my problem out that's all, as I have various options, some of which are time sensitive and I haven't had to do this before.
    Last edited by kittennose; 06-02-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 14,664 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Totally admit that was a risk and I happily took it.
    And this is the downside.

I'm not blaming anyone for that just wondering on the best way to sort my problem out that's all.
    Ring them. Ask if they will be willing to use a local garage for diagnosis, and if they have any preference who. If they say "no", then decide if you want to spend the time, or if you'll just get it sorted yourself.

How old is this car? What is it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,867Posts Today

6,116Users online

Martin's Twitter