Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deanoeye
    • By deanoeye 5th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    deanoeye
    Very slow Infinity from BT
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    Very slow Infinity from BT 5th Feb 18 at 2:29 PM
    Hi, hope someone can help me. I'm tearing my hair out with BT Broadband at the moment. My dad was talked into signing a new contract for his broadband in November last year. Bearing in mind he lives in mid Wales and has never had a very good connection, 1.5MBs at best, he was told he could have Infinity as it had been rolled in his area.
    He signed up and told a new smart hub was on it's way and service would start on 4th December.
    He was rushed into hospital on the 19th November and is still there. I went to his home to check on everything on 16th December. Speed from new hub was .2Mbs, rang BT and was told an engineer would need to visit. Arranged for 29th December, I made 100 mile trip and organised and paid someone to cover my work. Got to dad's to wait for engineer, rang and asked where he was to be told someone had cancelled him. Many apologies and engineer re-organised for two weeks later. Next day get a call to say problem had been found outside property so no need for access and fault would be fixed that weekend.
    It was a few weeks later that I got down to house and found speed the same. I'd had text from BT saying please text back if problem not solved so contacted them again. More promises of fixing problem.
    Was there again last weekend 3rd January to find nothing changed. Have now texted them for a call back three times with a text saying they would be in touch in four hours - 48 hours after my first attempt I'm still waiting!
    That's three months with next to know service, my time and expenses and less hair!!
    I'm concerned that when my dad get's home he has relied on the internet for buying food and products and keeping in touch with family. He get's his prescription ordered inline and will obviously be reliant on it even more so now.
    I'm beginning to believe that BT know very well they have miss-sold and cannot give my dad what they promised and are now just stalling.
    What are my next steps, who can I complain to effectively and what are my chances do you think?
    PS I have power of attorney.
    Sorry for the lengthy first post!
    Mike
Page 1
    • baza52
    • By baza52 5th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    baza52
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    did you leave the hub connected when you left? it can take a few days for the line to stabilise when you first get fibre.
    • deanoeye
    • By deanoeye 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deanoeye
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    Yeah, it's been switched on continuously. Occasionally it drops and flashes orange for a few hours then eventually steadies at blue but with the same slow speed.
    • Zeitgeist
    • By Zeitgeist 5th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Zeitgeist
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    One thing you can check inside the socket to see if the ring wire (an orange/white cable plugged into pin 3) is connected. This can affect your broadband speed quite noticeably.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If you have a new master socket with the router plugged into it, then you should probably be fine.

However, some houses have a new master socket and the other extension sockets around the house may this still connected and if router is plugged into one of these other sockets you will get interference on the line which will affect the line speed.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
    • deanoeye
    • By deanoeye 5th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deanoeye
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    Thanks I'll check next time I'm there.Part of the problem is the two hundred mile round trip every other weekend but important it's right for him when he gets home.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10,176 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    Yeah, it's been switched on continuously. Occasionally it drops and flashes orange for a few hours then eventually steadies at blue but with the same slow speed.
    Originally posted by deanoeye

Thats a line/ connection problem .For a few hours orange is more than just a glitch .

Use your / his BT members community forum and you should get a top level CS response .
    Just post the problem with no waffle .
    • deanoeye
    • By deanoeye 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deanoeye
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    Thanks, will do, sorry for waffling!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter