Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • orange-juice
    • By orange-juice 5th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    orange-juice
    Beginner driver, first car .. questions?
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    Beginner driver, first car .. questions? 5th Feb 18 at 2:24 PM
    Hi there,

I bought Honda Jazz 1.4 (03 plate, 45k on the clock) from a private sellet recently. The previous owner had MOT'd the car in January so thankfully there is no hurry to get that done on my part.

However, I have noticed that the clutch pedal squeeks a bit and the service history is patchy-there's not one done in years - albeit its not done many miles in that time.

Is it worthwhile for me to get a full service done now? Or am I throwing money unnecessarily and should wait for the next mot :s Are services just done whenever or at a certain mileage?

Sorry I'm new to all of this and appreciate your advice.

Ta!!!128077;!!!128076;
    Last edited by orange-juice; 05-02-2018 at 2:32 PM.
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 5th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    Hi there,

I bought Honda Jazz 1.4 (03 plate, 45k on the clock) recently. The previous owner had MOT'd the car in January so thankfully there is no hurry to get that done in my part.

However, I have noticed that the clutch pedal squeeks a bit and the service history is patchy-there's not one done in years - albeit its not done many miles in that time.

Is it worthwhile for me to get a full service done now? Or am I throwing money unnecessarily and should wait for the next mot :s Are services just done whenever or at a certain mileage?

Sorry I'm new to all of this and appreciate your advice.

Ta!!!128077;!!!128076;
    Originally posted by orange-juice

Yes, have it serviced if no evidence of it being done recently.

Have the car serviced in future in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule, which will be in the service book.
    • Zeitgeist
    • By Zeitgeist 5th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Zeitgeist
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    It is always a good idea from a financial point of view as well as getting to know how well your car works, is to learn to do some minor servicing jobs yourself.

The best thing you can do with a car with an unknown service history is to do a oil and oil filter changes, air filter, pollen filter, and at the very least inspect the spark plugs (on a petrol). A visual inspection of the brakes would be the next step to ensure that your brake pads have enough meat on them.

Fixing a squeaking clutch pedal is likely just to need a spot of grease or even some WD40 sprayed on the pedal joint. It's unlikely to be a major issue. If the pedal goes firm or the biting point goes higher than normal or you get clutch slippage is when things get more expensive.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 3,518 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    Yes, have it serviced if no evidence of it being done recently.

Have the car serviced in future in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule, which will be in the service book.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll

^^^^ This.

A couple of points worth mentioning. Firstly, the service schedule will say something along the lines of "Service every 12,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first". So the fact that it's not done many miles is irrelevant - it still needs to be serviced every 12 months, or whatever the service schedule for your particular car dictates.

Secondly, there's no need to take it to a main dealer. Routine servicing is bread & butter to any competent mechanic ( or, as Zeitgeist says, it's actually pretty easy to DIY if you know your way round the basics of a car ). But even if you don't feel confident to tackle it yourself, if you can find a trusted recommended local independant mechanic, you'll likely save yourself a fair amount of cash over the years.

Skipping servicing is a false economy. It doesn't matter whether you've spent £100,000 on a Ferrari, or £1000 on a Ford - whatever you've spent, it's likely to represent a lot of money to you. Servicing is cheap ( well, OK, for a Ferrari it's not .... ) But for "ordinary" cars, servicing is cheap. Would you rather shell out £150 a year and have a car that serves you well for the next 15 years, with no other costs, apart from consumables - and the peace of mind that it's unlikely to break down in the middle of nowhere ? Or would you rather save £150 a year, and potentially have to face finding the money to buy a new car in a couple of years because your old one has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky ?
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 05-02-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 5th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    +1 for getting a service asap.

If money's tight national autocentres do an oil and filter change for about £50.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    The reason servicing is done on time and not just mileage is because if it spends long periods stood things start to seize up if they're not used. A car not doing a lot of mileage in a year is not a good thing.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    I tend to do rather low mileages, not least because I have two cars so the miles are spread between the two. But I always have both serviced every year regardless of how many miles I've done. I generally go with the garage's recommendation of what service to do.

If you're hasn't got a proper recent service history, it's probably long overdue for a major service.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 6th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 6th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    OP, I'd suggest you check out the MOT report if you have it - bound to be a few advisories on a car that age. It might have passed the MOT but doesn't mean the tyres will last another year, or the brake pads might be due etc.
    Find a good local indy garage - see if friends, family, neighbours etc. can recommend one. I have an 09 fiesta that I service annually, but the local garage is great and don't just go through the servicing list, but actually check the car out thoroughly and let me know whether anything needs doing - imminently, in a few months, or can wait until next year. When I had a bit of play in the steering last year, they were good enough to take it in for the day, checked it all out, and assured me that it was safe to drive - bit of play in the steering rack. They didn't charge me for their time, nor did they try and get me to have any unnecessary work. If you end up at a dodgy garage it will cost you muchos mullah.
    • orange-juice
    • By orange-juice 6th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    orange-juice
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    Thanks for your input folks, very grateful. I've booked a major service with Kay's in Glasgow on the recommendation of others. Apparently they're very reasonable and don't overcharge on smaller issues.

I'll probably do the smaller stuff like filter changes from Year 1 by myself.

Regarding the next service and MOT, people say you can time it in a way to save money, how does that work logistically? Do you get the service before the MOT (so that things get picked up and ironed out before the test and you aren't paying double?) or the MOT before the service (so that you are only getting serious advisories fixed)? Bit confused by that.

The reason servicing is done on time and not just mileage is because if it spends long periods stood things start to seize up if they're not used. A car not doing a lot of mileage in a year is not a good thing.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    That's a bit disheartening. The car has done about 5000 in the last 5 years. I thought I was being smart with the low mileage!

OP, I'd suggest you check out the MOT report if you have it - bound to be a few advisories on a car that age.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    I did extensives checks through the MOT history on the gov (dot uk) website and it does look like the previous owners have corrected a lot of faults (i.e. new battery, new tyres) for this car, thankfully. The gearbox does feel a bit stiff though. Hopefully a change /top up of the transmission fluid as part of the service helps...
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 6th Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,938 Thanks
    mollycat

That's a bit disheartening. The car has done about 5000 in the last 5 years. I thought I was being smart with the low mileage!
    Don't beat yourself up too much about this, lots of people think like that......including people who try to put a premium on a ridiculously low mileage car when selling.

Hope you didn't pay over the odds because of the mileage?

Well done on trying to learn about properly looking after your purchase though!!
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 6th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 7,324 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Check the age of the tyres too. Look for four numbers stamped on them

First two are the week of the year, second two are the year of manufacture.

If they are getting on, i.e. more than 5 years old consider changing them, regardless of tread depth.

Cars which stand around can end up with flat spots and delaminate, not fun at speed.
    • orange-juice
    • By orange-juice 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    orange-juice
    Don't beat yourself up too much about this, lots of people think like that......including people who try to put a premium on a ridiculously low mileage car when selling.

Hope you didn't pay over the odds because of the mileage?

Well done on trying to learn about properly looking after your purchase though!!
    Originally posted by mollycat

1050?

I'll let you decide. He'd advertised it as £1190 on auto trader, not sure if he was actually expecting it but that's the price AT's valuation so I guess that's where he plucked the figure from.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I bought Honda Jazz 1.4 (03 plate, 45k on the clock)

I don't know whether this car has a cam chain or a cam belt, but if it is the latter you need to get it changed if there are no service records. Cam belt failure can be catastrophic.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Tarambor

1050?

I'll let you decide. He'd advertised it as £1190 on auto trader, not sure if he was actually expecting it but that's the price AT's valuation so I guess that's where he plucked the figure from.
    I don't think I'd be unduly worried that I'd paid over the odds. For future reference treat any low mileage car with caution for the following reasons:

1) Its done lots of short journeys. This means town driving so its doing far more gearchanges, braking more etc than a car that does long ones so the the clutch, brakes, gearbox, suspension and steering all get more of a hammering than they would on a long journey. I do more gearchanges getting out of town than I do on the rest of my 30 mile journey to work. It also means that the vehicle doesn't get properly warmed up so moisture in the engine doesn't get burned off so when you take off the oil filler cap to check for signs of head gasket failure you can actually see failed head gasket "mayonnaise" even though the head gasket is fine. In the case of a petrol car it also means that it'll have spent a lot of time running in "cold start" mode where extra fuel is dumped into the engine and that can get into the oil thinning it out and increasing wear.

2) Its been stood a lot. That means you're more likely to experience issues with things like brake calipers seizing. It also means that when the engine has been started there's been absolutely no oil whatsoever on the moving parts for the first few seconds of it running.

Both of the above are why cars that do low mileage, typically below 6,000 miles a year, actually go on an abnormal service schedule.

It isn't uncommon for an older car with low mileage to have issues you'd expect with ones doing well over 100,000 miles including engine failure.

Ideally you want something that has done somewhere around average miles, 10,000 a year.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 8th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    cajef
    I bought Honda Jazz 1.4 (03 plate, 45k on the clock)

I don't know whether this car has a cam chain or a cam belt,
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    Honda Jazz have always used a timing chain not a belt.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

5,803Users online

Martin's Twitter