Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rentingforlife
    • By rentingforlife 5th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rentingforlife
    Why can't they just give me the real price?
    • 5th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    Why can't they just give me the real price? 5th Feb 18 at 1:52 PM
    Car insurance renewal time. We're with Admiral, last year was £476.05; quote for the new year is £518.83. I shop around, get a new quote for £380 so of course, I call them today to cancel my renewal. No, no, no! The friendly advisor says, we would HATE to see you go! Let me see what I can do. We end up discussing the differences between the lower quote and 'what he can do for me'. Not much difference. Ask if I want to remove the second driver - uhm, no, we both use the car. I realise the cheaper quote has a big excess, which I can't change in the comparison site, and the breakdown cover is not quite like for like.

So, in the end, we're staying with Admiral as the final quote, after applying the 'special' discount is:
    Total £386, £250 excess and includes European breakdown cover.

Now what I find frustrating is that I have to go to the trouble of doing this. Why can't you just give me the real/fair price? I'm not fond of haggling - I'm prepared to pay a fair price for stuff I want, no questions asked. This just feels a little dishonest.

But lesson learnt for everyone, loyalty does NOT pay. If nothing else, just threaten to cancel...
Page 1
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 5th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    Loyalty doesn't pay and you fell for it. They tried to push you for me. They "lost" in your eyes but who is still paying them at the end of the day?

If people didn't give them the second chance to win their business they would have to apply best price at renewal. But people always give them that second chance. So they will always try their luck knowing they get you either way.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    Loyalty doesn't pay and you fell for it. They tried to push you for me. They "lost" in your eyes but who is still paying them at the end of the day?

If people didn't give them the second chance to win their business they would have to apply best price at renewal. But people always give them that second chance. So they will always try their luck knowing they get you either way.
    Originally posted by AstroTurtle
    My husband doesn't give them a second chance. he tells them of they can't give him these terms in the first place he is not interested.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,173Users online

Martin's Twitter