Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Miss S
    Car drove into me, now claiming I rolled back
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    Car drove into me, now claiming I rolled back 5th Feb 18 at 11:06 AM
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice here. Just after New year a car drove into the rear of my car while I was stationary waiting to go onto a roundabout. I drove up to the roundabout and stopped to wait for a space to enter the roundabout and they drove into the back of my car.

We swapped details, I phoned the police at the time and they confirmed they didn't need to attend. He apologised at least 3 times at the scene. I contacted my insurance company once I got home. Now that repairs have been done he is claiming that I rolled back into him, causing personal injury to him and his passenger, which has completely shocked me.

Is there any evidence I can do to show this is not how it happened? I have gone back to the roundabout and taken videos of the approach, you drive down a slight incline to the roundabout and it flattens out at the roundabout itself. I doubt a roll back could even happen. I have photos of the scene which don't show road markings as the photos are taken from the side and back of the cars, but do, i think, show that I was pretty much at the roundabout junction and not rolled back.

I've tried calling the claims handler but have been unable to get hold of here, if anyone has any advice I would be really grateful.
Page 2
    • z1a
    • By z1a 5th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    z1a
    From post #3
    " I don't think you would roll forward at the round about as the road flattens out at the round about. "

Don't be saying that.
    • Too Bloo
    • By Too Bloo 5th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Too Bloo
    The same thing happened to me, more years ago than I care to remember.
    Sitting at a junction waiting to turn, a women ran into me causing a wee bit of damage. She was very apologetic and admitted it was her fault no problem I thought, contacted insurance and waited for the go ahead to have my car repaired.
    A few weeks later received a letter from insurance company suggesting I claim off my own policy. The woman stated to her insurance company that I had reversed into her!
    Expensive lesson learned.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Also never tell them you have a dash cam so if they lie like they have, show your insurance company they are committing fraud.

Just re-iterate to your insurance company that you were stationary at the roundabout with the handbrake on, so did not roll backwards, and that this is a fraudulent claim.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Um right ok.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 05-02-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 6th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    As others have said ...
    - if the car had just rolled back there would be little or no damage. Was there?
    - is there any gradient at the crash site? Go and check.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 6th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 3,831 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    As others have said ...
    - if the car had just rolled back there would be little or no damage. Was there?
    Originally posted by jbainbridge

Exactly what I would do in the first instance.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    House Martin
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice here. Just after New year a car drove into the rear of my car while I was stationary waiting to go onto a roundabout. I drove up to the roundabout and stopped to wait for a space to enter the roundabout and they drove into the back of my car.

We swapped details, I phoned the police at the time and they confirmed they didn't need to attend. He apologised at least 3 times at the scene. I contacted my insurance company once I got home. Now that repairs have been done he is claiming that I rolled back into him, causing personal injury to him and his passenger, which has completely shocked me.

Is there any evidence I can do to show this is not how it happened? I have gone back to the roundabout and taken videos of the approach, you drive down a slight incline to the roundabout and it flattens out at the roundabout itself. I doubt a roll back could even happen. I have photos of the scene which don't show road markings as the photos are taken from the side and back of the cars, but do, i think, show that I was pretty much at the roundabout junction and not rolled back.

I've tried calling the claims handler but have been unable to get hold of here, if anyone has any advice I would be really grateful.
    Originally posted by Miss S
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me whilst waiting in my works car to exit a junction and turn right. A woman rear ended me causing 2ks worth of damage as she tried to turn left in a gap which was nt big enough. How I could possibly roll back and hit the car behind with such force was not possible
    In the end we shared the damages claim. It was cheaper for my insurers to share the damages rather than employ solicitors even though I was keen to go to court.
    It was a clear case of this idiot woman not paying attention that I was sympathetic with her ( and her mother in the passenger side ) that I never grabbed a witness. I ve learnt my lesson. Don`t ever trust anyone.Half of the public are a bunch of lying barstewards given the chance if it means saving money. Independent witnesses every time for me if I m in that situation again
    • gzoom
    • By gzoom 6th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    gzoom
    Hi

Sadly without clear proof your version of events is true your insurance company will settle as 50:50 fault.

A dash cam really is a must these days, at <£50 from Amazon its a no brainer. In situations like this its invaluable.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    A lot of alarmist people on here assuming that insurance companies will just hand over money for two PI claims without questioning.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 6th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    uknick
    As others have said ...
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    MissS said there was damage to the rear of her car, boot and floor pan, and damage to bonnet of the other car. One would have thought not consistent wit a roll back into the other car on a slight incline. Especially as the incline was down to the roundabout, not away from it.

This does sound like the other party is a chancer.

It would be useful if MissS lets us know the final outcome.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 6th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    reeac
    A not uncommon scenario at roundabouts is that the second car back assumes wrongly that the first car will take advantage of a gap in the traffic on the roundabout and sets off prematurely thus hitting the rear of the first car if that driver decides that the gap is too small to join in safely. That would explain the greater degree of damage. Insurance companies must come across this all the time.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 6th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    The same thing happened to me, more years ago than I care to remember.
    Sitting at a junction waiting to turn, a women ran into me causing a wee bit of damage. She was very apologetic and admitted it was her fault no problem I thought, contacted insurance and waited for the go ahead to have my car repaired.
    A few weeks later received a letter from insurance company suggesting I claim off my own policy. The woman stated to her insurance company that I had reversed into her!
    Expensive lesson learned.
    Originally posted by Too Bloo
    Yes, this could be an expensive lesson!
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 6th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I had no idea this kind of happened so often. Well, it's all getting a bit confusing! I've spoken to the company handling my repairs. They are not aware of this letter claiming the car rolled back and have said that the third parties insurance had accepted liability for the repairs and there should be no problem. They spoke to my insurance company while they were on the phone to me and this was all confirmed. So then I spoke to someone from my insurance company trying to suss out where the roll back claim fits in. They said: "this is weird!" There is a statement from the third party that matches mine, that they drove into me at the roundabout etc ... and a second statement claiming that I reversed into them causing damage to their vehicle and personal injury. So I'm not sure if they have changed their statement or why there are two conflicting statements, are they making a separate claim etc. The contact I spoke to this morning at my insurance co was going to get in touch with the claims handler who sent me the letter about the roll back as he couldn't understand it either and I have been unable to get hold of the claims handler to discuss it all and only receive limited responses to my emails.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 6th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    uknick
    .... So then I spoke to someone from my insurance company trying to suss out where the roll back claim fits in. They said: "this is weird!" There is a statement from the third party that matches mine, that they drove into me at the roundabout etc ... and a second statement claiming that I reversed into them causing damage to their vehicle and personal injury....
    Did President Trump rear end you? Sounds just like one of his claims; say something one day and then completely contradict it the next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,589Posts Today

10,154Users online

Martin's Twitter