Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Miss S
    Car drove into me, now claiming I rolled back
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    Car drove into me, now claiming I rolled back 5th Feb 18 at 11:06 AM
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice here. Just after New year a car drove into the rear of my car while I was stationary waiting to go onto a roundabout. I drove up to the roundabout and stopped to wait for a space to enter the roundabout and they drove into the back of my car.

We swapped details, I phoned the police at the time and they confirmed they didn't need to attend. He apologised at least 3 times at the scene. I contacted my insurance company once I got home. Now that repairs have been done he is claiming that I rolled back into him, causing personal injury to him and his passenger, which has completely shocked me.

Is there any evidence I can do to show this is not how it happened? I have gone back to the roundabout and taken videos of the approach, you drive down a slight incline to the roundabout and it flattens out at the roundabout itself. I doubt a roll back could even happen. I have photos of the scene which don't show road markings as the photos are taken from the side and back of the cars, but do, i think, show that I was pretty much at the roundabout junction and not rolled back.

I've tried calling the claims handler but have been unable to get hold of here, if anyone has any advice I would be really grateful.
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 5th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,856 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    Beyond informing your insurance company I'm not sure there's much you can do.
    If you've got evidence that a car would roll forwards, then they'll have a pretty difficult case to make unless they claim you reversed onto them.

Did he contact you directly or your insurers?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    Thanks for your reply. My insurers contacted me via letter to say that the third party claim I rolled back into them. They did say roll back in the letter rather than reverse. I don't think you would roll forward at the round about as the road flattens out at the round about. You're right that I shouldn't worry too much about it but I'm shocked that they can lie, they are claiming they were stationary, and I would be pretty annoyed to be paying for repairs and personal injury that I didn't cause.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 5th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    uknick
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    I know it's been said many times before, but we live in a world of cheats and chancers when it comes to insurance.

You have my sympathy Miss S, and I hope it gets sorted out pretty quickly in your favour.

Out of interest, how much damage is there to the rear of your car? I wouldn't have thought rolling back on a slight incline would cause much damage.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 5th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 18,702 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    I would not worry too much for now. Wait and see if anything comes of it. What I would do is buy yourself a set of forward and reverse dash cams. You will always have proof if anything should happen in the future.

We have them on both mine and my wife's car. Makes us feel a whole lot safer. It also means we are more careful in the way we drive as the proof is always there. Well until 3 hours of recording wipes it off!
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 5th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,856 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    I'd also be surprised if someone rolling back into a car at a roundabout would have done any significant damage to car or passengers, since you could only be hitting them at 1 or 2 mph.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 5th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    I'm shocked that they can lie,
    Originally posted by Miss S
    Who could have seen that one coming. Make next purchase a dash cam.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    I know it's been said many times before, but we live in a world of cheats and chancers when it comes to insurance.

You have my sympathy Miss S, and I hope it gets sorted out pretty quickly in your favour.

Out of interest, how much damage is there to the rear of your car? I wouldn't have thought rolling back on a slight incline would cause much damage.
    Originally posted by uknick
    I've requested details of the repairs but not received them so far. I have had text updates from the garage that mention the boot floor and rear panel were damaged. From the photos that I took at the collision you can see his bonnet is slightly raised. I'm hoping this would prove the damage is not conducive with a roll back... on a flat piece of road.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    I would not worry too much for now. Wait and see if anything comes of it. What I would do is buy yourself a set of forward and reverse dash cams. You will always have proof if anything should happen in the future.

We have them on both mine and my wife's car. Makes us feel a whole lot safer. It also means we are more careful in the way we drive as the proof is always there. Well until 3 hours of recording wipes it off!
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    Yes, good advice, was looking at these at the weekend and will get them fitted to my car.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    Who could have seen that one coming. Make next purchase a dash cam.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I know, how naive I've been, they seemed decent enough at the time. Dash cam is a good idea.
    • Miss S
    • By Miss S 5th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Miss S
    Thanks everyone for the positive advice, will stop letting it bug me and get a dash cam Will wait and see how it unfolds.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 5th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    ratrace
    I have a dash cam had one for years now

I have been telling friends and family to buy one for ages now but none can be @rsed, but unfortunately a friend was in an accident a few months ago next day he went to halfrauds to buy one......

a simple rule i follow is when it comes to money dont trust anybody as peoples love for money outways their morals
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If you had rolled back there would be no damage to either vehicle because of the lack of momentum. I'm quite sure your insurance company will see it for what it is.

A forward facing dashcam wouldn't help you in this situation, you need a rear facing one as well as others have said.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 5th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 4,080 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    If you had rolled back there would be no damage to either vehicle because of the lack of momentum. I'm quite sure your insurance company will see it for what it is.

A forward facing dashcam wouldn't help you in this situation, you need a rear facing one as well as others have said.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Of course it would, it would show the vehicle stationary until the bump.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 10,946 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Originally posted by Tarambor

A recording from a forward facing camera would prove that the OP's car didn't move backwards and it would also show the jolt from a car hitting the rear of their vehicle.
    Provided that the time and date were shown, I don't see that this evidence would be discounted.
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 9,232 Posts
    • 4,533 Thanks
    missile
    Yes, never leave home without dash cam front and back. I saved more than the cost when a "lady" damaged my car whilst it was parked.

Unfortunately without corroborating witness or evidence, I suspect OPs insurance will agree knock for knock.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 4,235 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Insurance companies are wise to people claiming for injuries that couldn't possibly have been caused by the accident.

Don't engage with the 3rd party, don't let him send you details of the damage or the injuries (if you do this it looks like you think you might be liable). You've given him your insurance details, that's all you need to do.

Treat him and his claim with the scorn he deserves.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 4,021 Thanks
    DoaM
    I'd also be surprised if someone rolling back into a car at a roundabout would have done any significant damage to car or passengers, since you could only be hitting them at 1 or 2 mph.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    This absolutely ... I was going to make the exact same comment. There's no way at all (unless you were on a steep incline and free-wheeling back for some time) that a roll back could cause even minor damage, nevermind significant damage and injury. The other party is at it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 5th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 15,541 Posts
    • 21,245 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Just re-iterate to your insurance company that you were stationary at the roundabout with the handbrake on, so did not roll backwards, and that this is a fraudulent claim.

I had something similar years ago and was waiting at traffic lights at a roundaboutnoa dual carriageway and someone drove very fast into the back of me and wrote their own car off, then their insurance tried to imply I had reversed into them. Hahahahaaaa. They soon changed their mind.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 8,221 Posts
    • 8,929 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Originally posted by Merlin139
    Agreed, and even just a forward facing dash cam would do as you'd see the jolt when the car hit and would be able to tell it hadn't rolled back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,626Users online

Martin's Twitter