Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 5th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 466Posts
    • 250Thanks
    fewgroats
    Is EBay right? Is PayPal too extortionate?
    • 5th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    Is EBay right? Is PayPal too extortionate? 5th Feb 18 at 9:14 AM
    I don't sell that much on EBay, but I do use PayPal to receive money.

But is EBay right? Is it better to use a different service than PayPal? Obviously many money transfer systems are a bit dubious.

What do EBayers on here think?
    ASK & ANSWER CHALLENGE. ASKS:3. ANSWER: 2.
Page 1
    • RFW
    • By RFW 5th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 8,579 Posts
    • 4,999 Thanks
    RFW
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    Paypal seem comparable with most other secure payment gateways. Bank transfers are mostly free but the sender has no security.

Both national and international banking is changing quite quickly. I'd assume that a secure payment system that earns money in a different way to Paypal could do quite well. I'd happily accept ads on payment receipts if that meant I wasn't paying a fee and all the benefits were still there.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 59,886 Posts
    • 42,516 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    I don't sell that much on EBay, but I do use PayPal to receive money.

But is EBay right? Is it better to use a different service than PayPal? Obviously many money transfer systems are a bit dubious.

What do EBayers on here think?
    Originally posted by fewgroats
    Whilst things are looking to change it looks like the status quo will remain for a good few years yet with paypal being compulsory on ebay. As a seller I am happy with paypal, yes I would like it cheaper but like RFW says it is comparable if not cheaper, than many other merchant payment systems.

Paypal seems to be part of the system now, I sell on Facebook and Schpock as well and most people prefer to pay using paypal, I do get the occasional buyer making a bank transfer, but it is getting less and less frequent.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 5th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    I think what some people seem to miss is that even if you had your own website and took card payments directly, then unless you happen to also own a card processing service, you'd still have to pay someone to process the card payment.

Some people seem to think that you should be able to sell online for free and have card payments processed for free. I personally find PayPal perfect for my business and although no-one likes having to pay for something, am content with sticking with them.

It will be interesting to see how many buyers who are used to using PayPal, will use a new payment system.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    zerog
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    As a buyer I'd rather just have a regular page where I can enter my card details.

As a seller I'd rather just have an account page on ebay which lets me withdraw to my bank account.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 8,579 Posts
    • 4,999 Thanks
    RFW
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:12 AM
    As a buyer I'd rather just have a regular page where I can enter my card details.

As a seller I'd rather just have an account page on ebay which lets me withdraw to my bank account.
    Originally posted by zerog
    If what I've seen about this is correct your payment page will have your card details stored and it will just be a matter of selecting your card if you have more than one and clicking pay on the checkout page. You'd only need to go to a new payment page if you were adding a new card.

As far as withdrawals go I'd bet that Ebay will be mirroring Amazon. In that case withdrawals will be available manually every 24 hours or automatically every 7-14 days. I can't see them keeping it as Paypal where you can withdraw every time you get a payment.
    • Helen_wilson
    • By Helen_wilson 7th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Helen_wilson
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    ebay is a bit expensive if you are an online seller but there are securities you enjoy that are not with other payment systems. You could try other money transfer systems and see what best fits you and your customers.
    • fordfocus-chav-car
    • By fordfocus-chav-car 7th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    fordfocus-chav-car
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    Be nice to see Paypal open a auction site to compete with ebay...
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    • 59,886 Posts
    • 42,516 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    ebay is a bit expensive if you are an online seller but there are securities you enjoy that are not with other payment systems. You could try other money transfer systems and see what best fits you and your customers.
    Originally posted by Helen_wilson
    eBay don't currently have their own independent payment system so we enjoy no extra securities . The new system is not likely to hit the UK for a good couple of years at best, and knowing eBay, probably longer than that.

As for other systems, if we are talking about eBay still then all sellers are required to offer PayPal on all but the motor vehicles category, and even though we can offer other services , realistically buyers rarely use them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 8,579 Posts
    • 4,999 Thanks
    RFW
    Be nice to see Paypal open a auction site to compete with ebay...
    Originally posted by fordfocus-chav-car
    Given that Paypal propped up Ebay for over ten years with Paypal as the profitable arm and Ebay barely breaking even I doubt that would even make it to the boardroom.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,589Posts Today

10,154Users online

Martin's Twitter