Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 4th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 28Thanks
    bewildered1
    Energy supplier question
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    Energy supplier question 4th Feb 18 at 6:59 PM
    I pay my electricity by direct debit. Will I likely be able to keep doing this when I go bankrupt?
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 13,210 Posts
    • 12,629 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    The restrictions that are most likely to affect you during bankruptcy:

You canít borrow more than £500 without telling the person or company lending you the money that youíre bankrupt

You canít be the director of a limited company, and you canít play a part in running a company without a courtís permission

You canít buy a house under the Ďright to buyí scheme

If youíre self-employed, you canít use a business name which is different to the one you used before bankruptcy, unless you tell everyone you do business with about the bankruptcy

Youíll be barred from some jobs, for example being a charity trustee, insolvency practitioner, registrar or consumer credit licence holder

If you help another vulnerable person manage their property and affairs using a lasting power of attorney, this will be cancelled
    You must cooperate with the official receiver. This includes handing over all documents and providing accurate information about your income, debts and assets.

Anything else is more or less as per normal.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • ToxtethO'Grady
    • By ToxtethO'Grady 4th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ToxtethO'Grady
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    You will have a prepayment meter fitted if you are the only person named on the bill as you would fail the credit checks. If you have someone else to have their name on the bill they can continue paying by direct debit
    Last edited by ToxtethO'Grady; 04-02-2018 at 9:21 PM. Reason: adding information
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 4th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    You will have a prepayment meter fitted if you are the only person named on the bill as you would fail the credit checks. If you have someone else to have their name on the bill they can continue paying by direct debit
    Originally posted by ToxtethO'Grady
    Actually I'm not sure that's right at all - my energy supplier simply closed the old 'in arrears' account and opened a new one on the date of the BR and set up a new DD - it was never suggested that I have a pre-payment meter and I haven't come across many folk on here who have been forced to have one?
    Its switching to another supplier that can be difficult sometimes but on the whole, most energy companies just carry on.
    • ToxtethO'Grady
    • By ToxtethO'Grady 4th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ToxtethO'Grady
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    Used to work for an energy supplier and that was the accepted way of doing it. If it's changed that's good but some suppliers will do it as a homemove and when you are credit checked this will fail on a credit meter.
    I did say if you were the only person on the bill, if there is someone to take over the direct debit then it would be changed to their name and carry on.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 4th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    I'm not moving in until the beginning of next month. i will be the only person living there. So they will shut the account and open a new one?
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 4th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    I've just found the following though I don't know how old it is. Specifically 7.6(c) states "We are entitled to end this contract immediately in any of the following circumstances... You have any form of bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings brought against you."

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/full_terms_and_conditions.pdf
    • ToxtethO'Grady
    • By ToxtethO'Grady 4th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    ToxtethO'Grady
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    Yes they close the old account and open a new one. If you are moving in they will do a credit check and can insist you have a prepayment meter rather than a credit one. They may not but they have the right to.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 4th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    bewildered1
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    I won't be going bankrupt until after I move in. I can't afford to.
    I will be paying by direct debit. Will a credit check be done after I've gone bankrupt even though I won't be moving home?
    I would obviously fail one then if that's the case so am I right to think it would be certain that a prepayment meter will have to be fitted?
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 5th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    I had been in my property for 4 years when I went B.R....and nothing changed I carried on with the same account no change at all this was S.S.E.
    I moved while it was still on my file and had to take over the supplier British Gas from previous tenant ...I rang them no credit checks all ok.
    Changed to first Utility straight away and had to pay £300 deposit which was refunded after 6 months showing 6 direct debits payments.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 5th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    TheGardener
    I would agree with lovchocolate - if you are an existing customer paying by DD - the most likely scenario is that they will give you a new account number and a new DD - that's all. I wasn't in arrears on my DD with my energy provider but the OR must have notified them anyway and a small deficit in the account (winter bill) that would have cleared naturally with the DD, was included in the BR. I wouldn't worry too much about it - there is no reason why the energy company would do a CC if you are already a customer.
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 6th Feb 18, 12:07 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    bewildered1
    Thank you all for your advice. I've been hoping not to have to tell my new landlord that I will be going bankrupt. However I read on the CAB website today that unless the tenancy is assured, protected or secure that the OR will contact him to see if I gain financially from the tenancy agreement. It's a private landlord and I will be living in a detached annex on a rolling monthly tenancy. I presume because of this that my tenancy is none of the things above. I'm not sure what my landlord will think of being contacted. It's a worry I could do without.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 6th Feb 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    TheGardener
    I had a private LL on the same periodic (rolling) tenancy and was not in arrears with the rent - the OR didn't contact them at all. I think I had to submit a copy of the tenancy agreement with my other paperwork and if the OR wants to know if you have any 'gain' from the tenancy - it will be in the contract I guess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,888Posts Today

5,636Users online

Martin's Twitter