Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 4th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,372Posts
    • 884Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Road test ... no tax. Help please.
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    Road test ... no tax. Help please. 4th Feb 18 at 6:20 PM
    I want to buy a second hand car.
    The car I have in mind has been SORNed.

As it isnít road taxed ... how can I take it for a test drive?
    Is there a provision for this in the law?

Thanks.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

Thank you costs nothing but means a lot. That's why I thank all posts I like!
Page 3
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 5th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    Thank you all.
    The car in question has just and I mean just, gone through the MOT with no advisories.

There had been two advisories outstanding when he bought the car in October and heís had all that done.

Totally new exhaust, new tyres, done on top of the advisories.

Reason for selling is that the car is that itís too big for his wife (she is a short lady I met her).
    It unnerved her so it has to go.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **

• n217970
    • By n217970 5th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    n217970
    The car in question has just and I mean just, gone through the MOT with no advisories.

There had been two advisories outstanding when he bought the car in October and heís had all that done.

Totally new exhaust, new tyres, done on top of the advisories.

Reason for selling is that the car is that itís too big for his wife (she is a short lady I met her).
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    Or, during the repairs he has found something he doesn't like the look of which is not subject to the MOT and is shifting the problem on. Or, he is buying cars, fixing them, selling them without the hassle of being a "trader"

Are we talking £500, £5000, £50000? If we are talking low value I would be more inclined to take a punt.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 926 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    8 years experience in motor insurance tells me that.

If your car is insured but not taxed, the only way you can drive it on the road is to an MOT testing station. Anything else would be outside the terms of the policy.
    Originally posted by PhilStation

8 years in a call centre with little or no idea of what youíre doing?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Both, driving uninsured & permitting.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Who would be responsible for using the car while sorned, the driver or owner/keeper.

Penalties for uninsured driving are separate.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 5th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Who would be responsible for using the car while sorned, the driver or owner/keeper.

Penalties for uninsured driving are separate.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    But driver and keeper would still be liable if stopped by the police. Still more than I would risk. Driving without insurance is painful since it stops you from hiring cars from mainstream rental companies and also whacks up your insurance too.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    But driver and keeper would still be liable if stopped by the police.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Forget insurance! Who is liable for using a sorned car, the owner/keeper or driver?

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 5th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Forget insurance! Who is liable for using a sorned car, the owner/keeper or driver?
    Are you suggesting that the way out of insuring your car is to sorn it and drive it while sorned? Sounds very unlikely to me. Can't see driving a sorned car making you untouchable for insurance offences.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 5th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,856 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Reason for selling is that the car is that it!!!8217;s too big for his wife (she is a short lady I met her).
    Originally posted by Cinders2001
    That's a pretty common excuse for a trader-pretending-to-be-private seller. If it was too big for the wife, why'd he buy it? Why is he selling it 4 months later? How big is the car?

It's good that it's passed an MOT, so it's probably fairly safe, but there's still the concern that there's something else up with it.
    If it's passed an MOT, and he's had it since October, why is it SORN? Has it been off the road the whole time?

I'd be skeptical here; get it looked at by a trusted mechanic, get the owner to tax it so you can test it, and/or walk away and find a car that doesn't sound suspicious.

What's the car anyway? Is there something unique about this that's encouraging you to waste time / take a risk on it?
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 5th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    Paradigm
    What are the vehicle tax requirements?

It is the responsibility of the vehicle keeper to ensure that their vehicle is properly taxed. The vehicle keeper must:

!!!61623; make sure the duty is paid; or

!!!61623; make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) if the vehicle is kept off the public road.

For offences identified from on road sightings

Where an untaxed vehicle is identified as being used or kept on the public road the following enforcement action may be taken:

!!!61623; DVLA will issue an Out of Court Settlement (OCS) letter and failure to pay may result in the registered keeper being prosecuted.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Are you suggesting that the way out of insuring your car is to sorn it and drive it while sorned?
    No, I,m asking who is responsible for using a sorned car, the owner/keeper or driver.
    Presumably you understand insurance and ved are not the same thing. The question relates to ved, not insurance.

I suspect the keeper is responsible and not the driver so the op would not be penalised for using a sorned car but the owner could be.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    Car 54
    No, I,m asking who is responsible for using a sorned car, the owner/keeper or driver.
    Presumably you understand insurance and ved are not the same thing. The question relates to ved, not insurance.

I suspect the keeper is responsible and not the driver so the op would not be penalised for using a sorned car but the owner could be.
    Both are committing an offence: one for keeping and one for using an untaxed vehicle. "If a person uses, or keeps, a vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of an offence." [Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (2(1))]
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 5th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Mercdriver

But the driver would be responsible for driving uninsured which is a much more serious offence.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 5th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    Paradigm
    But the driver would be responsible for driving uninsured which is a much more serious offence.

Where does the insurance issue come from?

A vehicle can be declared SORN but still be insured, as my boys m/bike is over the winter.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    But the driver would be responsible for driving uninsured.
    Only if they were uninsured.

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Feb 18, 2:48 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Where does the insurance issue come from?

A vehicle can be declared SORN but still be insured, as my boys m/bike is over the winter.
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    Sorry wasn't clear enough. My point would be that if the owner was unscrupulous enough to drive or allow to be driven a SORN'd car, it's unlikely he would have a policy that allows all and any drivers to drive it, and that not all comprehensive insurance allows any car driving, and even when they do there are often conditions to this.

If a car is showing as sornd and a seller is willing to offer a test drive, I would be suspicious about whether there is any insurance is in place (some other car allowances specify insurance must be in place). The punishment would be a harsh one on a driver.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 26,599 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The guy onoly bought the car a few months ago, MOTd it but its SORNd?

Sounds like a trader to me. Possibly damaged or needed major repairs.

Unless your paying for someone to inspect it, including jacking it up and checking underneath and a proper good test drive then walk away.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Cinders2001
    • By Cinders2001 17th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    Cinders2001
    All sorted!
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,737Users online

Martin's Twitter