Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yazmina
    • By Yazmina 4th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 129Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Yazmina
    Burnt Clutch
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    Burnt Clutch 4th Feb 18 at 6:18 PM
    I've bought a 2014 Skoda Fabia to replace my 2003 Ford KA. On the old car it wasn't difficult to find the biting point but I'm having a lot of trouble with the new one. Last weekend I was stalling almost every time I had to stop throughout a five mile journey. This weekend I managed to not stall by listening to the engine rather than trying to feel the bite, but I still struggled to get moving. I had to go up a ramp when exiting the supermarket and ended rolling backwards (no-one behind me thank goodness). I tried again, struggled to get up the ramp then there was a burning smell inside the car which lingered for a while. There is also a flashing spanner sign and 'oil insp' on the dashboard.

I can 1. Check the oil
    2. Keep trying to find the biting point myself and risk damaging the clutch further
    3. Get a driving instructor to help me find the biting point.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Cheers.
Page 2
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 5th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    Okay..except one thing.. op came asking for driving tips, not quotes for repairs nor financial advice.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    not exactly

here's what the op asked for

I can 1. Check the oil
    2. Keep trying to find the biting point myself and risk damaging the clutch further
    3. Get a driving instructor to help me find the biting point.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Cheers.

so:

1. Yes, check the oil, but it probably won't put the warning lights off
    2. not a good idea if you've already burnt it out
    3. yes, learn to drive better so you don't need to buy new clutches every 6 months at £500 a time

Which is basically what I've already said.

As for anything else they can do? Nothing I can think of
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 5th Feb 18, 10:53 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    It's good advice (not advise). I haven't burnt a clutch out,; the OP has.

If you can't sense the biting point of a clutch very easily then more driving lessons are needed.

And Since a new clutch could be £500, it's good advice to ensure you've got enough money to buy one.

And its impossible to advise (not advice) someone how to operate a clutch properly on an internet forum: the only way is sitting in the car, live.
    Originally posted by bobbymotors
    6/10.

Please. when indulging in pedantry, first ensure the accuracy of your own work.
    Last edited by Joe Horner; 05-02-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 6th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    6/10.

Please. when indulging in pedantry, first ensure the accuracy of your own work.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Only 2 errors Joe: 8/10 surely? ha ha.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Only 2 errors Joe: 8/10 surely? ha ha.
    I count 7. Joe has therefore been generous. There are errors in your previous posts, also.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 6th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    I count 7. Joe has therefore been generous. There are errors in your previous posts, also.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    fair enough. I'll take that advice: but surely each post should have its own mark?

Did you know they used to throw pedants to the lions in ancient Rome?

What sort of lions were they though?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    fair enough. I'll take that advice: but surely each post should have its own mark?

Did you know they used to throw pedants to the lions in ancient Rome?

What sort of lions were they though?
    No. If the post is clear in it's meaning, then the pedantry is unnecessary.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 6th Feb 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    eschaton
    It sounds like it was knackered when you got it,as someone driving as long as yourself shouldn't take that long to learn in a new car.

I remember initially having issues stalling an MG ZR sometimes when owning both that and a Nissan 350Z Roadster.

I soon got used to the two cars although to be honest, I never had a problem with the MG when I drove that car only for nearly 5 months before the Nissan was delivered.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 26,612 Posts
    • 10,686 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I know someone that burnt out a brand new clutch in less than 8000 miles.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,173Users online

Martin's Twitter