Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • queenbee22
    • By queenbee22 4th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    queenbee22
    student finance- Uni costs- help please!
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    student finance- Uni costs- help please! 4th Feb 18 at 5:10 PM
    Hi there

My daughter is planning on going to University in the autumn. I think she will be eligible for a student maintenance loan of under £4000. Is everyone entitled to this?

Is it expected that we will bring her maintenance loan up to the maximum £8430 that some students receive or is that discretionary?

The cheapest accommodation at her prospective university is £4200, would we be expected to give her another £4230? Is that necessary? How much do 1st year students need? What do other parents give on top of the cost of the self catered accommodation? what is a suitable amount?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 4th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    Hi there

My daughter is planning on going to University in the autumn. I think she will be eligible for a student maintenance loan of under £4000. Is everyone entitled to this?

Is it expected that we will bring her maintenance loan up to the maximum £8430 that some students receive or is that discretionary?

The cheapest accommodation at her prospective university is £4200, would we be expected to give her another £4230? Is that necessary? How much do 1st year students need? What do other parents give on top of the cost of the self catered accommodation? what is a suitable amount?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by queenbee22
    The maximum for students living away from home outside London will be £8,700 from September 2018:

http://qna.files.parliament.uk/ws-attachments/801692/original/Higher%20Education%20Student%20Finance%20for%20201 8.pdf

Whether the parents top it up is discretionary but there is an implicit parental contribution if the parent's income means the student can borrow less.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 3,792 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    Maybe your daughter could look at getting a PT job to help herself too.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12,720 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    See section 11 of Martin' excellent guide (based on this acedemic year's rates, add about 3% for next year): https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes

My daughter ended up with over £11,000 in loan and bursaries - she found that was easily enough to live on (think she'll be saving about £3k of it). There's a real divide at uni between those from "poorer" households and those from richer ones, those from poorer households get the full £8k+ "loan" plus usually bursaries on top, whereas those from richer household whose parents don't make up the loan may get under half that and need to find part time work.

Note you can reduce your assessed household income through making pension contributions.
    Last edited by zagfles; 09-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 19,930 Posts
    • 32,686 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    I'd also have a read of this about the maintenance loan and how the amount lent is to do with household income.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/09/02/how-much-are-parents-supposed-to-give-their-children-when-they-go-to-university/

My eldest is looking at going to Uni in the Autumn and will get the minimum loan, think it's just under £4K.

We told him how much we'd be able to contribute in the first year, but after that he'd need to get a p-time job.

The first place he looked at, the cheapest halls accommodation (on this year's prices) was £6,300. We said we'd pay that.

He's since looked at another place he likes equally as much but it's in a far cheaper area. We'd make the same offer to cover his first year's accommodation, but if he does choose there, it's likely we could afford to subsidise over more years, we have a younger child as well, so we need to take that into consideration when deciding how much financial help we can give DS.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

7,205Users online

Martin's Twitter