Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 6,944Posts
    • 52,031Thanks
    apple muncher
    varifocals again or 2 pairs of glasses?
    • 4th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    varifocals again or 2 pairs of glasses? 4th Feb 18 at 3:19 PM
    Hello,

I've had varifocals for almost 10 years now, and each time I've needed a new pair, it has taken a lot of time and a few re-adjustments to get them 'right'.

I'm off for another eye test soon and was toying with the idea of simply getting 2 pairs of glasses - one for reading and one for distance.

Any advice or experience would be welcome.

I should also add that I've got my specs each time from the 'should-have-gone-to' place and am also toying with purchasing from elsewhere - again, advice and suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks,

apple muncher
    NST Feb Forester #5; NSD 12/18 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/20 (21); remove 51
    2018 Pay off: £563; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £22,936 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 1
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 4th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    I too have worn varifocals for a number of years but I could not contemplate switching to two pairs of specs. It would mean constantly taking off a pair and putting another on, irritating.

An example, watching tv and using my iPad. Something I do a lot. I would not be able to see the tv if I was wearing reading glasses or vice versa.
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 4th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    I too have worn varifocals for a number of years but I could not contemplate switching to two pairs of specs. It would mean constantly taking off a pair and putting another on, irritating.

An example, watching tv and using my iPad. Something I do a lot. I would not be able to see the tv if I was wearing reading glasses or vice versa.
    Originally posted by pattycake
    Definitely agree with this. Much better to have varifocals even if you do have to keep going back to get them right - when you have them right then that is a much better option than two pairs.

As to where to get them from- mine are from spec savers also - no complaints. I have had them from boots too.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 4th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    newatc
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    Agree with those above, Varifocals everytime for me. I also use Specsavers, I'm always impressed you can go into any of their branches with a problem with your glasses and they will try to sort it.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 4th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 4,239 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    I'm sticking with varifocals, even if they do take a while to adjust when you get a new pair. I get mine from Vision Express.

I wouldn't be able to drive if I had to rely on two (or in my case three!) pairs of glasses.

And Vision Express have always been more than helpful when it came to getting the glasses just right.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 4th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 4,690 Thanks
    adandem
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    Agree with those above, Varifocals everytime for me. I also use Specsavers, I'm always impressed you can go into any of their branches with a problem with your glasses and they will try to sort it.
    Originally posted by newatc
    Can you? We were refused at another branch because they said each store is individually owned?
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 4th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 6,971 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    I've had varifocals for years, been with speccysavers for years. My last pair didn't feel right, I had to tilt my head a lot, and I couldn't see distance very well. I went back and the woman was very helpful, they only needed minor adjustments, altered the angle. It's all to do with the fitting. Perfect vision after that. She looked at my records and said she had fitted me with the last pair.

ilona
    I love skip diving
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 4th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 11,564 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    Varifocal wearers wont go back to separate pairs without a bit of a fight, Ive had to take varis off people for medical reasons and its been a bloody nightmare. Definitely get varifocals even if you need to downgrade the lens and take a bit of time adjusting to that.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • newatc
    • By newatc 5th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    newatc
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    Can you? We were refused at another branch because they said each store is individually owned?
    Originally posted by adandem
    Well I've never been refused (including going into Specsavers in Sydney which did surprise me). Perhaps it depends on the size of the problem and the staff themselves. I think most have mine have been replacing screws and straightening side of the frame.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 21,830 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well I've never been refused (including going into Specsavers in Sydney which did surprise me). Perhaps it depends on the size of the problem and the staff themselves. I think most have mine have been replacing screws and straightening side of the frame.
    I've walked into Vision Express and they've sorted missing screws and lost nose pads on glasses they didn't supply, at no charge. I think they look on it as goodwill - and hope you'll go back as a paying customer, which I have.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 5th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I'd keep with the varifocals too, I've had mine for a few years now and wouldn't change them to two pairs.

Must admit though that I find them awkward when I'm on the computer and use a pair of the cheap reading glasses for that.

My optician said that my distance vision wasn't too bad and if I didn't need glasses for reading he probably would have said leave it for a while.

I'm a type 1 diabetic so have very regular check ups.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 5th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 4,690 Thanks
    adandem
    Ours was an issue with my husband's contact lenses. We were told that only the store who supplied them would help.
    I also purchased some frames which I hated and had to go back to the original store.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 5th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    My husband recently tried varifocals for the first time. He gave himself a few weeks to get used to them, but he just found them awful. Specsavers had already said that, if he couldn't get used to them, to bring them back and he could change to 2 separate pairs, one for reading and the other for distance. He drives a lot as part of his job so I think this may have been part of the reason he couldn't get on with varifocals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 5th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    Tom99
    I had a pair of varifocals but did just not get on with them, you have to hold your head up but swivel your eyes down to read.
    I have recently bought one reading and one distance glasses for a total of £15 from glasses-direct.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 5th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    pattycake
    The dispensing and fitting of varifocals are critical. If the dispensing optician does not get the measurements correct then problems arise.

The size of the frame lens is also a consideration. On collection, the fitting must be exact. It is easy to see why patients give up on varifocals.

My advice is to find a good optometrist! I use Specsavers but I will only deal with one particular lady. She is brilliant and always gets it right.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 52,031 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thank you for all the comments.

It is the dispensing and fitting that are vital to me - pattycake, you put it so well. If they are slightly off, I am not able to compensate and end up feeling nauseous.

The first pair I had, I was given the same reading strength as the person didn't think you could put in different strengths in different eyes. D'oh.

On going back another time with distance issues in one lens, I was told that anything beyond the end of my arm was distance, so what was my problem...

That said, the reading issue was sorted v quickly, and did eventually see a great person who adjusted the angle for me.

I guess that , as I am expecting to need new specs, I'm also expecting to encounter new problems. Oh pessisistic me!
    NST Feb Forester #5; NSD 12/18 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/20 (21); remove 51
    2018 Pay off: £563; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £22,936 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 31,401 Posts
    • 18,814 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I found the easiest way to get used to vari was sitting watching tv and using a netbook/phone you adapt to the vertical axis first.
    Then go out then drive.

One you are used to them and how to adjust them then you can get on line if you have the right pupil distances and don't have a wonky face.

£150 for titanium rimless vari photochromic delivered in <2 weeks.

I use optical4less no problems. There are cheaper but the quality has not been so good so I go back to O4L for my good pairs.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 4,239 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I think you have to accept that they take a bit of getting used to. Vision Express give you three months - there must be a reason for that!!

The first day I wore mine, I was pleased my OH was with me, as I felt like the pavement was coming up to meet me - I remember clinging on to him as we walked back to the car!! It was a few days before I felt confident to drive. But that was several years ago - and now I don't think about it at all.

My mother, on the other hand, never got along with them - they made her feel seasick and she didn't trust herself to walk downstairs in them.

The only time I don't like them is when I'm reading in bed - it's uncomfortable to have to tip your head slightly up in that position. But that's an easy problem to solve - if I'm reading for any length of time, I just use normal reading glasses.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    • 13,559 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I think you have to accept that they take a bit of getting used to.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I resisted getting varifocals for years, convincing myself that using two pairs of glasses was the best option. Then I tried on my sister's (Zeiss) varifocals for a joke and could see everything perfectly, near and far, without having to swap specs. I didn't need any time to get used to them.

I bought some myself and, again, it took no time to adapt. However, my employer supplied me with some prescription safety specs with the cheapest varifocal lenses fitted and they are horrible to use for any length of time. I have to turn my whole head to look at things rather than just my eyes and it can be rather disorienting.

Cheap varifocal lenses tend to give a very narrow field of view in the middle distance. It's worth paying the extra, in my opinion.

The other thing to bear in mind is that varifocals don't work very well with narrow (top to bottom) frames.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 06-02-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7,938 Posts
    • 5,783 Thanks
    pmduk
    Originally posted by adandem
    They are individually owned, but you should get basic assistance in any store. Obviously depends on the problem. I assume anything costly must be dome at the original store, but adjustments etc are available anywhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin