Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hoblands
    • By Hoblands 4th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Hoblands
    Employee has doctors certicficate but very fit
    • 4th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    Employee has doctors certicficate but very fit 4th Feb 18 at 2:38 PM
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Not sure if anyone can offer me some advice? I run a small maintenance / cleaning company employing 4 full time staff. One of whom has been off for the past 3 weeks with a medical (physical) problem and I've been paying him the compulsory sick pay as per my legal obligations. He has the relevant doctors certificate but I've become aware that whilst not working he still plays in a weekend 5-aside football league, goes out for bike rides and visits the pub most evenings. As the sick pay comes out of my own pocket and is having an impact on my own income this is concerning me somewhat. Is there anything I do?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Comms69
    Errr not that I'm aware of.
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    So what's it got to do with his ability to perform the role at work?

Being unable to work, does not mean being unable to function.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 6th Feb 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 6,253 Thanks
    Penitent
    So what's it got to do with his ability to perform the role at work?

Being unable to work, does not mean being unable to function.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Granted, I don't have anything that dangles, but if I did and it was injured, the very last thing I'd be doing was going on a bike ride, so I can see why the OP would worry about the employee being less than truthful about the nature/extent of his injury. Playing a sport where you might be knocked down there could go either way.

The bit about going to the pub is utterly irrelevant, though, unless he has a very unusual way of holding a glass.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Comms69
    Granted, I don't have anything that dangles, but if I did and it was injured, the very last thing I'd be doing was going on a bike ride, so I can see why the OP would worry about the employee being less than truthful about the nature/extent of his injury. Playing a sport where you might be knocked down there could go either way.

The bit about going to the pub is utterly irrelevant, though, unless he has a very unusual way of holding a glass.
    Originally posted by Penitent

It depends on the full nature of the injury, sport can be useful to the healing process in some cases.

My point mainly was that the approach was wrong. 'You're playing football, therefore come back to work.' - Beginning disciplinary proceedings, fair enough.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 6th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 6,253 Thanks
    Penitent
    It depends on the full nature of the injury, sport can be useful to the healing process in some cases.

My point mainly was that the approach was wrong. 'You're playing football, therefore come back to work.' - Beginning disciplinary proceedings, fair enough.
    Bike + sore genitals, though...I can't see that being the least bit healing, especially when it's known for causing issues down there.

I wouldn't have gone as far as a disciplinary at this point, but I do think it's enough to warrant a conversation about whether the injury is actually bad enough to require the employee to be off work, or whether light duties while awaiting the results might have been more appropriate.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Comms69
    Bike + sore genitals, though...I can't see that being the least bit healing, especially when it's known for causing issues down there.

I wouldn't have gone as far as a disciplinary at this point, but I do think it's enough to warrant a conversation about whether the injury is actually bad enough to require the employee to be off work, or whether light duties while awaiting the results might have been more appropriate.
    Originally posted by Penitent

Depends. If I thought someone was taking the mick, I'd just sack them.

Sends a clear message.
    But if he's been there longer than 2 years, it suggests that this is more likely to be a real condition, rather than a complete 180 from good employee to one taking the mick.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 6th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 1,413 Thanks
    parkrunner

I disagree, for me the soft approach is better than starting a disciplinary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,766Posts Today

7,196Users online

Martin's Twitter