Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 4th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 3,076Posts
    • 3,316Thanks
    littleredhen
    Wimbledon College of Art interview - help
    • 4th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    Wimbledon College of Art interview - help 4th Feb 18 at 8:01 AM
    My daughter has an interview 9am - 3pm at the above uni but we live in Scotland so here are my issues

1. the date is soon so we haven't been able to access cheap train travel
    2. if she goes to stay with my sister in Reading the night before she has to change in London - tube etc
    3. if she doesn't stay at my sisters we have to find accommodation (cost)
    4. she suffers with mental health issues, one of which is severe anxiety
    5. money is an issue at the moment for me
    6. her current school of art told her to apply as she very likely to be accepted, she missed her exam years at school because of mental health but has attended her school of art nearly everyday, which has been a miracle
    7. if I can't find the money for her to do the interview it will be so tough on her although in reality I don't think she would even be able to cope going there
    8. she has applied to Scottish uni's which are free but obviously not guaranteed a place and the interviews for them are after the Wimbledon one

I am not sure what my question is but some support would be really appreciated to help me unravel this
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 6
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 6th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 56,690 Thanks
    SingleSue
    The format must be subject related. My kids received their offers without interviews and then were invited to a post-offer open day. So all the students on that day had been given offers and the aim of the day was to show students the department/ uni/ accommodation/ town but also to sell the uni to them.

I don't if they were lucky not to have interviews first or whether that is standard for their subject, but it happened for both of them for all their applications, mainly Russell group universities.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    For mine, it was subject related. For all of eldest's offers, there were no interviews, for the one course that he was declined for, there was an interview but it was more Arts than the other courses applied for. All offers were conditional.

For middle son, an interview/audition was essential to make sure there was a talent/knowledge first (music). He received conditional offers to all but his firm became unconditional a couple of months before results day, a huge surprise to us.

For youngest, there was a possibility of a couple of interviews (one at an RG uni) but one(RG) decided in the end not to do one and gave him an unconditional and the other he withdrew before interview date. One other he withdrew before any decision was made as everything was unsettling him and they were taking too long and the remaining two were unconditionals. He went with one of the non RG offers as the setting and the course content were more suited to him and his career aspirations. The unconditionals made a huge difference to the process, we had none of the stress in the lead up to to the exams as he knew that despite what happened, they wanted him (he still worked at them though and surpassed expectations)
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 13,795 Posts
    • 26,357 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Considering that you're allowed to apply to 6 unis most people don't have the time or money to visit each one even once let alone several times. I visited 5 places either for open days or interviews.

As for offers because I applied to oxbridge most other places fell over themselves to give me low offers either with no interview or only a cursory one.

As for parents visiting with the applicants it didn't happen when I was applying. The most the parents did was give you a lift to the town.
    Last edited by onlyroz; 06-02-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 6th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 9,066 Posts
    • 13,185 Thanks
    meer53
    [QUOTE=onlyroz;73840438]Considering that you!!!8217;re allowed to apply to 6 unis most people don!!!8217;t have the time or money to visit each one even once let alone several times. I visited 5 places either for open days or interviews.

As for offers because I applied to oxbridge most other places fell over themselves to give me low offers either with no interview or only a cursory one.

As for parents visiting with the applicants it didn!!!8217;t happen when I was applying. The most the parents did was give you a lift to the town.[/QUOT

My daughter would have been mortified if i'd gone with her to the interviews ! I just dropped her off, i did go to two of the Open days though, she wanted my opinions on the accomodation.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 6th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    No, that's not what I meant. You said bil would have to meet her in London the day before (costing him the travel fayre) to meet her. Wouldn't it be possible for your DD to travel to Reading by herself the day before?
    Originally posted by Spendless
    yes but to travel to Reading from Edinburgh you have to change in London, I think it would be too much for her changing main line stations via the tube

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 6th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    Point 1. Maybe it is me, maybe I am a harsh parent, but having had several children go through the university system and helped pay for various student accommodation no way would I encourage her to go out of Scotland, where the education element is free.

Point 2. If she is good enough to get into a good London Art School, she will get into a similar one in Scotland.

Point 3. As a parent, if I had a child with MH issues I would want to be able to get to them within a short time. You won't be in that position either in terms of distance, finance or work commitments.

Point 4. I would want to know that they could get home easily and relatively cheaply in those first few crucial weeks of settling in.

Knowing all the above I wouldn't feel at all guilty in trying very hard to dissuade her from going south. They are young adults with little life experience on which to base life-changing decisions, they need guidance and sometimes bluntness to enable them to see the pitfalls that could lie ahead due to personal circumstance.

You are acting in her best interests, try to remember that.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    thank you for your advice

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 6th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    My understanding of the Scottish system is that you still have loans for maintenance. That will require paying back.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    yes that is correct, you pay for halls etc

• SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 6th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 56,690 Thanks
    SingleSue
    For eldest and middle, I was just there to pay for things and provide some transport. When it came to the interviews, I could usually be found in the cafe or outside if it was nice complete with a good book and a cup of tea. Youngest son didn't attend interviews but he needed to become familiar with new surroundings in a supportive way, hence our multiple visits with me in tow...not that I complained, he is in a beautiful city with some great architecture.

It was slightly different for our circumstances though due to middle and youngest's disabilties. Middle son struggled on public transport (still does), as did youngest and youngest doesn't like people and won't talk to them until he gets used to them. Eldest just wanted the upgrade on dinner options
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 13,795 Posts
    • 26,357 Thanks
    onlyroz
    yes but to travel to Reading from Edinburgh you have to change in London, I think it would be too much for her changing main line stations via the tube
    Originally posted by littleredhen
    Not necessarily. Just looking at thetrainline.com it seems that there are some direct trains, and there are others via Newcastle, Manchester or Wolverhampton.
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 6th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    Many universities only interview the border line applicants - those they definitely want get immediate offers.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    This isn't the case for Art and Design related degrees. All bar one of my DD's uni choices is entry by portfolio and interview.

The other one requires submission of an electronic portfolio but doesn't interview due to the volume of applications it receives.

This applies to all applicants equally.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 6th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Not sure this will help but I was a Scottish student who went to a Uni in the south-east of England. No mental health issues and I was from that way originally so no 'shock' of a big city and knew my way around the tube etc already and had done a lot of travelling abroad alone/was very independent already... but I did find it hard not to be able to go 'home' (one parent lived in Scotland and one lived abroad) very often.
    The others I was at Uni with would pop home for the odd weekend and have a family dinner/have their washing done etc but I could only see mine at Christmas, Easter and summer holidays (no half terms or opportunities to take a break mid-way through at my Uni).
    Honestly, it came as a huge shock to me how much I missed being able to see my family easily (as hadn't really missed them when I was travelling ). There were money issues too so they couldn't really come down and visit me during term time either. This was in the days before skype/facetime etc so I guess those would help now (as I could only talk to mine on the phone...) but I couldn't help being envious when I saw others come back on a Sunday night with a care package from home or have parents come and take them out to celebrate mid-term exams/birthdays etc
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    yes that is correct, you pay for halls etc
    But have you/she looked at the cost of accommodation in London and considered how that can be afforded on the lower amount of maintenance loan and bursary available to Scottish students?
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    This isn't the case for Art and Design related degrees. All bar one of my DD's uni choices is entry by portfolio and interview.

The other one requires submission of an electronic portfolio but doesn't interview due to the volume of applications it receives.

This applies to all applicants equally.
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    You're right, A&D is different but the conversation had become more general when I made my point.!!!55357;!!!56832;
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 7th Feb 18, 6:37 AM
    • 19,943 Posts
    • 32,725 Thanks
    Spendless
    Not necessarily. Just looking at thetrainline.com it seems that there are some direct trains, and there are others via Newcastle, Manchester or Wolverhampton.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Thank you Roz. Admittedly I didn't realise that, I was making a suggestion that the OP's daughter uses the app suggested by another poster that tells them when to get off etc, but having had a look and played with a couple of dates, it looks like there's a direct train at 7am from Edinburgh to Reading, gets in shortly after 1pm. That any good OP?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Another route: there are (slower) trains between Reading and Waterloo, and a direct bus from there to King's Cross (which is actually walking distance anyway).

In practice there are many reasons why the daughter is likely, eventually, to choose to study in Scotland, but the Wimbledon interview would be good practice for her and if she were prevented from attending she might respond badly.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 7th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,803 Posts
    • 12,829 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I work in university admin. They are generally very hot on diversity and disability issues these days and there is good awareness of mental health problems. The students do need to seek out this support though; we can't force it upon them.

We CANNOT discuss any aspect of the student's academic progress or health issues with anyone without the student's written permission. Anything a student says to their personal tutor is treated in confidence. They are legally adults and are treated as such.

Open Days and Interview Days are a two way process- the student should come armed with questions about the course. We can't guarantee that all lecturers will be available; they are busy and it's the type of job that often involves short notice filling in for someone else.

If the OP's daughter is passionately enthusiastic about this particular course at this specific institution, then the financial and practical logistics can be overcome. If she's just going because it's the first place to make an offer, then I would hold fire until you hear from Scottish unis.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 7th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    You wouldn't have got what from a prospectus?
    That if the uni didnít care enough about potential students to have faculty lecturers turn up to an open day, they probably werenít the most committed
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Feb 18, 11:03 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    That if the uni didnít care enough about potential students to have faculty lecturers turn up to an open day, they probably werenít the most committed
    Originally posted by Cheeseface
    Perhaps the academic staff were committed to their academic duties rather than being sales people for the university? I've worked in FE rather than HE but the bums on seats philosophy that overrides everything in education these days is quite sickening.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 8th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Perhaps the academic staff were committed to their academic duties rather than being sales people for the university? I've worked in FE rather than HE but the bums on seats philosophy that overrides everything in education these days is quite sickening.
    This is beginning to change. Big red-brick institutions are being chased out of the saloon by keen-runner-bean FE/HE institutions who are well used to recruiting by hook or crook.
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 8th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    It was a Saturday so Iíd assume no lectures were taking place, especially as it was a designated Open Day. My child didnít want to know about the sports facilities on campus, or how many restaurants they had. Thatís what the sales people were about. My child wasnít interested in the sales people, there were plenty there.

They were interested in the curriculum, the options available to them on the degree, the ability to switch from batchelor to masters. Things the lecturers would know. The sales people, when asked, said it depending on the subject. My child was interested in two very similar subjects, both from the same faculty, at this particular uni. We couldnít get the answers on an open day weíd travelled 150 miles to get to!
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 8th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    It was a Saturday so Iíd assume no lectures were taking place, especially as it was a designated Open Day. My child didnít want to know about the sports facilities on campus, or how many restaurants they had. Thatís what the sales people were about. My child wasnít interested in the sales people, there were plenty there.

They were interested in the curriculum, the options available to them on the degree, the ability to switch from batchelor to masters. Things the lecturers would know. The sales people, when asked, said it depending on the subject. My child was interested in two very similar subjects, both from the same faculty, at this particular uni. We couldnít get the answers on an open day weíd travelled 150 miles to get to!
    Originally posted by Cheeseface
    I think that is a fair point. When we visited universities it was important for us to get a feel for the staff passion and drive for their subject as I know that plays a big part in motivating students when the going gets tough.

At all the ones we visited (RG) the staff who would be teaching the course were available to speak to and they gave tours of their facilities (this was for Chemical Engineering). My son also wanted to discuss Industrial Placements and their links to employers who did that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,450Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin