Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 4th Feb 18, 12:05 AM
    • 1,785Posts
    • 3,130Thanks
    Alcohol and Tablets at Concerts
    • 4th Feb 18, 12:05 AM
    Alcohol and Tablets at Concerts 4th Feb 18 at 12:05 AM
    Just want to vent about alcohol sales at concerts. I'm not a killjoy and I know everyone wants to have a good time but I'm sick of going to concerts to find the night is ruined by some prat who doesn't know when they have had enough.

Been to Manchester arena tonight to see The Script, paid over 100 pounds for tickets and left 25 mins after they came on thanks to being seated next to 2 women who were the worse for wear when they entered their seats. during the time the support act was on they passed us twice to go to the bar and came back with 2 pints each both times. By the time the main act was on they were standing and swaying from side to side splashing their lager or whatever all over the place. The woman next to me also kicked one of her pints over soaking my shoes and feet.

Added to this was a guy in the seat behind me who was drinking from a bottle and couldn't keep the bottle upright so I ended up getting whatever was in it all down my back.

Seems they don't care how drunk people get as long as the money comes over the bar.

As well as the drunks problem it was almost impossible to see the stage unless you wanted to see it through someone else phone or tablet.
    If you want to watch it through a screen stay at home and buy the flaming DVD.

Rant over.
Page 2
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 6th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 8,188 Thanks
    When I saw the title I thought it was about pills and booze... Last big gig I went to was Blur in Hyde Park where nitrous oxide seemed to be the intoxicant of choice - there were dealers quite openly wandering about with canisters in rucksacks. Between that and the e-bong brigade at least a third of the crowd must have been off their face before the headliners arrived.
    Womble #7 - Running Total £4.00 $0.13 €1.79 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 zl 0.02 (2 Polish grosze - another forbidden symbol)
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 10,448 Posts
    • 19,585 Thanks
    Last concert I went to I was told to move my wheelchair into a corner as the people behind couldnt see because of it! (I was in the dedicated wheelchair space) I refused and made my sister turn my chair round so I could give them a filthy look. They ignored the concert as well and spent the whole time yakking and letting their kids run riot.
    I have been to a few concerts that I dont remember as I was so drunk but now Im teetotal I just spend my time shaking my head at some of the states people get into. Im no killjoy- my sister drank a full bottle of wine to herself at the last gig we went to see and although she was definitely tipsy it actually enhanced the fun we had and we had a lovely time. I just do not understand why people feel the need to get paralytic!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season
    I my bulldozer
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky
    • eamon
    • By eamon 12th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    At sit down gigs don't forget the 1 in 1 out rule.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 12th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 13,564 Posts
    • 23,062 Thanks
    The only problem I've ever had at the Manchester Arena is they close everything. Last time I went, I came out dying of thirst after a rather energetic gig and everywhere was closed. Not even a vending machine to get a bottle of water.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 15th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    The OP might email their complaint to the Arena asking if the conditions described fulfil the terms of their alcohol licence, and if there can be any recompense for the discomfort and distress caused by their lack of appropriate supervision. Then if no satisfactory reply arrives, email the local authority licencing people at asking if the scenario described conforms to their Licencing Policy 2016 - 2021, and the Licencing Act. I hope something improves, because I wouldn't want to have a concert-going experience ruined like that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,758Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter