Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hightara
    • By hightara 3rd Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 131Thanks
    hightara
    SCAM....... not real talktalk
    • 3rd Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    SCAM....... not real talktalk 3rd Feb 18 at 10:35 PM
    Could not believe I got so far into this phone call.
    I had raised an issue on the talktalk community about my wifi.

Got a call from talktalk.........only it WAS NOT.....they had so many details, I followed their instructions to reset my router etc.

I waited for a couple of minutes.......for them to update my router. (talktalk do this themselves......no download for updates)

They directed me to msconfig. and to type in a www. url. something .I know, I know in hind site, alarm bells should have been ringing. I seen my cursor overtaken.

Shut down my computer immediately and wifi......thankfully I had nothing on my computer regarding my bank details, etc.

I then told my credit card company, talktalk and bank what happened while I was reinstalling my system.

I have the latest anti virus and malware running I shut down and booted into safe mode. Wiped my computer.

Just me being dumb when distracted, never thought I could have been so foolish.
    Last edited by hightara; 03-02-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Page 1
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 4th Feb 18, 5:37 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:37 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 5:37 AM
    I have just left Talktalk for BT much safer and better customer services. At least you don't have to deal with Manila AND INDIA
    • hightara
    • By hightara 4th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    thank you JEN22, but this was on me. But I told my provider, that apart from the usual scams, these people maybe using comunity forums to target people
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 4th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    thank you JEN22, but this was on me. But I told my provider, that apart from the usual scams, these people maybe using comunity forums to target people
    Originally posted by hightara
    How do you think they are going to get your phone number details from a post on a support forum? I'm sure you weren't foolish enough to put your telephone number on that post.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 4th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    Johno100 no, I gave no details, thank you.
    did not think of that.........panic over.
    Last edited by hightara; 04-02-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 4th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    What were the "so many details" they knew about you that had you convinced they were genuine?
    • hightara
    • By hightara 4th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 4th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    No idea LilElvis, I was having an issue with my wifi, and they quoted/talked to me, verbatim the post I had made on TalkTalk Community forum, asking for the Team to update my router remotely.

just wanted to warn others
    Last edited by hightara; 04-02-2018 at 4:18 PM. Reason: info
    • thecoffeehouse204
    • By thecoffeehouse204 5th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    thecoffeehouse204
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    The parents of a friend of mine had a similar call a few weeks ago, they unfortunately got taken in too and the scammers had control over their PC for two hours before they realised their mistake. When they took the PC in to be checked over they were told they weren't the first and they said there must be a leak at talk talk as all the people affected had been told personal information only talk talk would have known by the scammers which is why they believed it was genuine.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 5th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,283 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    I left talk talk 3 yrs ago , and still get "technical" calls from them

so transparent its a joke

and according to talk talk , no details were stolen when the were hacked

I notice the people supposedly arrested in a big organised TV police raid , never went to court

they paid the hackers off
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 6th Feb 18, 5:17 AM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Johno100
    I left talk talk 3 yrs ago , and still get "technical" calls from them

so transparent its a joke

and according to talk talk , no details were stolen when the were hacked

I notice the people supposedly arrested in a big organised TV police raid , never went to court

they paid the hackers off
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Very hard to pay someone off if they've been arrested.

Anyway at least two people have been convicted over the hack to which you refer.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/04/two-men-admit-guilt-in-talktalk-hacking-case-that-cost-firm-42m/
    • TalkTalk
      Verified User verified user
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 6th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi hightara

I'm so sorry that you received a scam call. As you said this isn't a genuine call from us.

We have lots on information on our help pages on our website about these types of calls and the privacy features that we offer to help tackle these calls such as our new CallSafe feature.

If you go to our website and search 'CallSafe' or 'Scam calls' you will be able to see this content. Unfortunately we're unable to post direct links for you on this site.

If you're ever in doubt about the legitimacy of a caller claiming to be from TalkTalk we would always advise you to hang up and contact us to see if the call was legitimate. The same goes with calls from other companies/banks etc. It's always best to be safe and double check.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 6th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    cbsexec
    I had the same call but supposed to be from BT. Think they were just targetting our area as my neighbours also had calls. They even called me back when I told them they were just scammers!!!! They are getting cheekier.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 6th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,283 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Very hard to pay someone off if they've been arrested.

Anyway at least two people have been convicted over the hack to which you refer.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/04/two-men-admit-guilt-in-talktalk-hacking-case-that-cost-firm-42m/
    Originally posted by Johno100
    thanks , I missed that
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • hightara
    • By hightara 6th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    Thank you Vicky, I have responded on the Community forum.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 6th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    kangoora
    Talk Talk had a major hack in 2015, maybe some 'enterprising' crooks recently bought some of the hacked data and are working their way through the lists? Or, they could be general IT scammers but I wouldn't expect those type to have 'so many details'

From the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34743185

TalkTalk said:
    • 156,959 customers had personal details accessed
    • Of those customers, 15,656 bank account numbers and sort codes were stolen
    • 28,000 stolen credit and debit card numbers were "obscured" and "cannot be used for financial transactions".

Customers whose financial details were stolen have been contacted, and the firm will contact other affected customers "within the coming days".

The cyber attack on TalkTalk's website happened on 21 October, it added.

Details that TalkTalk previously said had been stolen included names, addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers and email addresses.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ This ..

The list has just been sold on to "lower down" crims who will work through it and re-sell it again.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 8th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    Yep they'll have your details from the last major hacking Talk Talk allowed to happen. We get regular calls from scammers who have all the correct info about you with your account number, what date an engineer may have visited you etc. Very very easy to be conned by them so don't beat yourself up over it.

Everytime I get calls (they tend to come in daily for a week or two then stop) my Dad also gets them so they're working off the lists, then flogging them, then another scammer has a go. Both me and my Dad had letters from Talk Talk after the hacking scandal a few years back promising us our data wasn't one of batch that was stolen but that's clearly a lie.

Last time I had fun questioning him back. Asked him how he slept at night doing what he does. Then when he carried on with his spiel said 'and how's your Mum? proud of you is she, that she has a thieving piece of scum like you for a son'. He said 'I'm no thief', so I said 'I'm not sure what else you call it when you use stolen account details to call people up and try and con the vulnerable out of their money by gaining access to their PC?'....he then shouts at me 'I'm not a f*cking scammer, I work for Talk Talk, now let me access your PC as you have a terrible virus affecting your WiFi!'. As bad as Talk Talk customer services are, I've never had them shout or swear at me :-) Cheered me up no end that my continual arguing made him angrily hang up and for those 3 minutes he wasn't scamming someone else.
    • TalkTalk
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 8th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi EmmyLou30,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been receiving scam calls. As Vicky mentioned below, we do have a new free security feature called CallSafe, which helps stop unwanted calls from reaching you. You can activate this in My Account and find out more in our help pages. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any problems or concerns.

Thanks,
    Becky
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 8th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,283 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Hi EmmyLou30,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been receiving scam calls. As Vicky mentioned below, we do have a new free security feature called CallSafe, which helps stop unwanted calls from reaching you. You can activate this in My Account and find out more in our help pages. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any problems or concerns.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Originally posted by TalkTalk
    brilliant thanks , as an ex talk talk customer who took his phone number to a new supplier , would your CallSafe work for me?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • TalkTalk
    • By TalkTalk Verified User verified user 9th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    TalkTalk
    Hi Pappa Golf,

Unfortunately not - but suppliers do usually have things like this in place to combat scam calls. Your best bet would be to contact your ISP about this, and see what they have.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

403Posts Today

6,022Users online

Martin's Twitter