Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jtm8866
    • By jtm8866 3rd Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 14Thanks
    jtm8866
    Pulled out before exchange - invoiced for costs!!
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    Pulled out before exchange - invoiced for costs!! 3rd Feb 18 at 9:08 PM
    I reserved a new build property with £500 reservation fee and then applied for the mortgage and help to buy application. After few weeks, our mortgage and HTB application got approved. Meanwhile, we were going through some optional free and paid extras (such as flooring, tiling etc) for the house with sales agent. I was notified that I will have to pay additional for these extras but not need to pay until the contract exchange date or after this day. However, no agreement was made about what would happen if we pull out of the purchase before the contract exchange.

We have only signed the reservation form and extras form but nothing had it in written regarding to the payment of extras nor verbally agreed on what would happen in the event of nor going ahead with the sale.

Few days after we received Authority to exchange from htb, we found out that the developers have changed the location of the car park driveway. So we decided to pull out of purchase before the contract exchange date. So nothing was signed.

Now the developers have sent me an invoice asking to pay £4000 for all the extras that have been installed which incurs costs on them due to me pulling out of the purchase.

Can somebody please advice whether I legally owe them anything?

I feel like I'm being bullied in to this by the developer since the estate agent and the developer has been harassing me regarding costs from the moment i pulled out of the purchase.
Page 5
    • Megadebtor
    • By Megadebtor 9th Feb 18, 12:14 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Megadebtor
    Actually they can and they do. Depends on the size of the development obviously to weigh up any 'repercussions ' but it's quite common for architects/developers to submit non material, minor material or material amendments.
    Debt: Absolutely Mega (six figures)

• Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 9th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    Working in a consulting engineers I know that architects won’t change layouts willy nilly
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

This actually made me laugh out loud! I work for a contractor - can you pass on the details of these architects of which you speak!? They sound amazing, and totally unlike most architects I've ever worked with!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,021Posts Today

9,012Users online

Martin's Twitter