Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geek84
    • By geek84 3rd Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 1,040Posts
    • 106Thanks
    geek84
    Leaving car engine running
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    Leaving car engine running 3rd Feb 18 at 4:02 PM
    Hi Folks

Every morning someone in our street leaves their car engine running for about 10 minutes. I think he/she does that in order to warm up the car, but it is very annoying.

Aren't there any laws stating you can't do that?

Thanks
Page 3
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    Richard53
    If it was running it wasn't doing anything much. Air below about 4c simply doesn't contain any significant moisture for the aircon to remove, hence some companies save fuel by not allowing the compressor to run. More likely it had some instant heating system?
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    I don't think so. It was only a bread-and-butter Mondeo. I used to leave the A/C on auto, so it ran 24/7/52 as it was designed to.

Whether it was doing anything or not, it was brilliant at demisting the screen. It's something you don't really appreciate until you don't have it. My current Land Rover is still misted up after 20 miles No A/C plus leaky door seals.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 14th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I don't think so. It was only a bread-and-butter Mondeo. I used to leave the A/C on auto, so it ran 24/7/52 as it was designed to.

Whether it was doing anything or not, it was brilliant at demisting the screen. It's something you don't really appreciate until you don't have it. My current Land Rover is still misted up after 20 miles No A/C plus leaky door seals.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    Petrol better at warming up than diesel?

However, some cars just have good ventilation systems. I use just 2 settings on my Merc, demist and auto and it just gets it right. I also always spend some time pointing vents in the right direction when I get a car and sulkily put them back after passengers have had the temerity to fiddle with them.

Modern cars are so much better than the days where it needed muscles to slide the air direction adjuster and the fan had 2 settings, off and deafening asthmatic.
    • numsadog
    • By numsadog 14th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    numsadog
    Its common where I live for some to run engines on frosty mornings for up to three quarters of an hour. Scraping frost and ice from windows seems to be a lost practice.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    Richard53
    Petrol better at warming up than diesel?
    Nope, a chilly old Tdci diesel that used to take 5-6 miles to get any warmth coming through.

Once I had changed the soggy pollen filter, the interior was always dry and sweet-smelling, and I put that down to running the A/C full-time.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 2,908 Thanks
    Robisere
    My 17 plate Tucson CRDi has a "Front Demist" which gives a blast of warm, dry air from cold start, with Aircon light on. Must be some kind of electrical heating, but it does clear the screen in quick time.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• derrick
    • By derrick 14th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    derrick
    So why does the legislation that covers this offence clearly state that the fixed penalty is £20?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/1808/contents/made
    Originally posted by George Michael
    2 different bits of legislation, the one you have quoted is emissions/pollution.

There is one under motoring legislation, "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, " commonly known as "quitting the vehicle", (same as leaving headlights on whilst parked up), "Leaving motor vehicles unattended"

Also see Rule 123 of the Highway Code.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 14th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    2 different bits of legislation, the one you have quoted is emissions/pollution.

There is one under motoring legislation, "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, " commonly known as "quitting the vehicle", (same as leaving headlights on whilst parked up), "Leaving motor vehicles unattended"

Originally posted by derrick
    Interestingly, my reading of "Leaving motor vehicles unattended" appears to tell me that I am breaking the law by parking an automatic in park without the handbrake on. "any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set."
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Car 54
    Interestingly, my reading of "Leaving motor vehicles unattended" appears to tell me that I am breaking the law by parking an automatic in park without the handbrake on. "any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set."
    You are indeed. 3 points and a fine.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 14th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Zola.
    You know you have life easy when you are making threads like this...
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 19th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    You are indeed. 3 points and a fine.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    No points, the offence isn’t endorsable.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 4,038 Thanks
    DoaM
    I also always spend some time pointing vents in the right direction when I get a car and sulkily put them back after passengers have had the temerity to fiddle with them.
    I feel your pain.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter