Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 3rd Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    Rented flat terrible floor creeking
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    Rented flat terrible floor creeking 3rd Feb 18 at 3:27 PM
    Hi there,

Picked up the keys today for newly rented flat. Went to see the place and to our disapointment the living room and kitchen floors are annoyingly creeky.

You literally can't step anywhere without loud creeking. (I'm not talking about normal creeks). Its upsetting to say the least, especially with being excited to move in.

When viewing the property beforehand, we either didnt notice (seems unlikely) or maybe the floors have been changed.

So my question is, am I entitled to bring this up? The estate agent has done an inspection without mentioning it, so I'm assuming they think its fine.

Is it the landlord/estate agents duty to resolve this or will I be stuck with it?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 3rd Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    What flooring is it, laminate, carpet, vinyl?
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    Carpet in living room and vinyl in kitchen
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 43,185 Posts
    • 50,751 Thanks
    G_M
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:13 PM

So my question is, am I entitled to bring this up?

Yes
    The estate agent has done an inspection without mentioning it, so I'm assuming they think its fine.
    Add it to thecheck-in inventory before you sign.

Is it the landlord/estate agents duty to resolve this
    No
    or will I be stuck with it?
    Up to how the LL responds.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by couldbeanyone77
    .................................................. ......
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 3rd Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    Assuming the carpet is fitted and the vinyl glued down, and again, assuming this is a timber "suspended" floor of planks or boards on joists below the floor covering, fixing the creaks could be a couple of days work.

I had this problem in my own home, caused by loose boards which a plumber was obviously too idle to secure after fitting central heating; quite fiddly to fix. I lived with it for four years, waited til we re-carpeted, then after removing all the furniture and stripping the old covering, I spent a whole day lifting many of the existing boards to find out where the pipe runs were and to avoid puncturing them when nailing and screwing them down again, before the carpet fitter arrived. I still managed to nick one pipe!

So you could mention it. In fact, unless they've always been like that (as in the case of an old conversion or a shoddy new build) the LL might like to know a plumber has botched the carpenty (as in my case- the most common reason). But don't hold your breath!
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 5th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    Thank you for the help everyone. I've put this to the estate agent and waiting to hear back.

I did have one further question:

If the landlord doesn't want to do anything about it - what can be done?

I've paid down a deposit + rent for a property with a difference from the original viewing, that would certainly have stopped us from choosing it.
    • batg
    • By batg 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    batg
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    different in what way?

are you saying the landlord went in after you had viewed and made the floorboards creaky?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 21,803 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    A very outside possibility, is it particularly cold where you are? Was it warmer when you viewed? Is your flat over a cold space? Our bedroom floor which is over the unheated garage has one board which creaks when the weather gets cold. Stops when it warms up again.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 43,185 Posts
    • 50,751 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 3:44 PM

I've paid down a deposit + rent for a property with a difference from the original viewing, that would certainly have stopped us from choosing it.
    Originally posted by couldbeanyone77
    I don't understand this.

Do you mean you viewed property A, but agreed to rent property B? If so, I'm afraid it is down to you - you chose (for whatever reason) to rent property B witthout viewing it!

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, but were then presented with a tenancy agrement for property B? Again? if so, it was your choice to sign the TA fo B without viewing it.

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, were given and signed a tenancy agrement for property A, but were then given keys to property B? If so, why on earth did you not demand the keys to A?
    Last edited by G_M; 05-02-2018 at 3:48 PM.
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 5th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    different in what way?

are you saying the landlord went in after you had viewed and made the floorboards creaky?
    Originally posted by batg
    Yes, that's absolutely the case.

We viewed the property 4 weeks ago and the estate agent today confirmed work was carried out since this time.
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 5th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    A very outside possibility, is it particularly cold where you are? Was it warmer when you viewed? Is your flat over a cold space? Our bedroom floor which is over the unheated garage has one board which creaks when the weather gets cold. Stops when it warms up again.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    It's somewhat cold yes, however it's happening everywhere in the rooms, as opposed to isolated places.
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 5th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    I don't understand this.

Do you mean you viewed property A, but agreed to rent property B? If so, I'm afraid it is down to you - you chose (for whatever reason) to rent property B witthout viewing it!

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, but were then presented with a tenancy agrement for property B? Again? if so, it was your choice to sign the TA fo B without viewing it.

Or do you mean you viewed property A, put down a deposit for property A, were given and signed a tenancy agrement for property A, but were then given keys to property B? If so, why on earth did you not demand the keys to A?
    Originally posted by G_M
    There's one property.

We viewed the property, decided to go ahead with it, signed tenancy agreement and paid our deposit + rent.

Upon collecting the keys and entering the property, we immediately noticed the obvious loud creaking throughout the living room and kitchen floors - which didn't exist when viewing it.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 21,803 Thanks
    Slinky
    Is the flooring in these rooms new? What sort of flooring is it?
    • couldbeanyone77
    • By couldbeanyone77 5th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    couldbeanyone77
    Is the flooring in these rooms new? What sort of flooring is it?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I can't be sure until the estate agent responds to me, however both appear new. From what was visible, the floors were in great condition when viewing, but the majority of the floors were covered in newspaper due to landlord decorating.

The living room is carpet, it's pinned down firmly so difficult to tell whats underneath. There's a cloak cupboard in the living room with a boarded wooden floor, but I can't be certain the carpet has the same underneath.

Kitchen is vinyl and again, unfortunately can't see whats underneath it.
    Last edited by couldbeanyone77; 05-02-2018 at 5:01 PM. Reason: fix sentance
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    What flooring is it, laminate, carpet, vinyl?
    Originally posted by buggy_boy
    If its creeking it must be water.
    Better hope there are paddles or it may be the wrong sort of creek
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,558Users online

Martin's Twitter