Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nobile
    • By nobile 3rd Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 470Posts
    • 45Thanks
    nobile
    UPVC Door not opening properly
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    UPVC Door not opening properly 3rd Feb 18 at 1:38 PM
    Garden door lock seems to have a problem that I can't put right & need some advice on.

I've posted a few images of the handle/lock so you folks will know what type it is.

Basically the handle opens and closes very smoothly when it's not in lock mode. The moment you lock it, it struggles to close, and even more difficult to open, to the extent that my kids & mother when she pops over cannot now unlock the door

https://imgur.com/a/MS8lS

https://imgur.com/a/8sRty

The above mechanisms are very smooth when you turn handle up & down when door is open as in above photos.

The problems arise whn you shut the door, then try to lock the door by pushing handle up & then when trying to unlock it by pushing handle down. It's very stiff and needs a lot of effort.
    Last edited by nobile; 03-02-2018 at 3:41 PM. Reason: image issue
Page 1
    • nobile
    • By nobile 3rd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    https://imgur.com/a/Tbn1j

I've fiddled around with the settings above (there are 3 of these screws) and after about a week of trying various permutations, I've given up.

https://imgur.com/a/fuBao

Thanks
    Last edited by nobile; 03-02-2018 at 3:43 PM. Reason: image issue
    • nobile
    • By nobile 3rd Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    deleted post
    Last edited by nobile; 03-02-2018 at 3:43 PM.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 3rd Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 3rd Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    I've sort of sorted out the links to the images if anyone could help - thanks
    • societys child
    • By societys child 3rd Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5,044 Posts
    • 5,556 Thanks
    societys child
    • 3rd Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    Looks like a standard euro lock, have you tried adjusting the various keep plates on the frame? They may not be aligned correctly. Also a bit of oil may help.
    Last edited by societys child; 03-02-2018 at 8:35 PM.

• Oxid8uk
    • By Oxid8uk 3rd Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Oxid8uk
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    Sounds like it has dropped on its hinges. Are there any screws at the top and bottom of each hinge (there may be covers over them)? If there are then adjusting the top hinge to bring the top of the door closer to the frame might solve the problem.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 5th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nobile
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    Unfortunately none of the suggestions seemed to have worked - in fact all the adjusting made it worse!

How much would it typically cost a door/window firm in to resolve issue?

Door was fitted approx 8 years ago - and been struggling to open for at least 1 year
    Last edited by nobile; 05-02-2018 at 6:10 PM.
    • SatanicHare
    • By SatanicHare 5th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    SatanicHare
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 7:43 PM
    Sounds like the dor has dropped , the hinges are butt hinges and the omly adjustment is left or right by approx three mill, the large star screw is the adjuster. Proper way to fix it would be to "heel and toe" glaze the door. Plenty of info on how it's done on the net. I'd fully deglaze and ensure the packers are corectly placed, if the doors that old it may be that the glass is slipping due to incorrect or poor placement of packers (shims).

http://www.glassandlock.co.uk/how-to-toe-and-heel-a-door-or-window/
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 6th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    Unfortunately none of the suggestions seemed to have worked - in fact all the adjusting made it worse!

How much would it typically cost a door/window firm in to resolve issue?

Door was fitted approx 8 years ago - and been struggling to open for at least 1 year
    Originally posted by nobile
    I got a local guy out to adjust 2 sets of UPVC french door that weren't closing properly, he charged me £40. I've no idea if that is a normal amount, but I was certainly willing to pay it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

448Posts Today

4,980Users online

Martin's Twitter