Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 2nd Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,352Posts
    • 3,073Thanks
    Shoes with no socks on
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    Shoes with no socks on 2nd Feb 18 at 11:47 PM
    Yeah I know it's fashionable these days, especially with these hipster men wearing loafters/boat shoes with ankle length or rolled up trousers.

But isn't this uncomfortable, sweaty and smelly?

Wouldn't no socks cause blisters and if you've been wearing shoes for even half a day it must smell when you take them off.

I have a few footsies and liners but they're not as good as actual cotton socks.

Gawd I feel old for moaning about modern trend.
Page 2
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 93,908 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Depends on a number of things - if they shower daily, if the shoes are leather rather than plastic, if they fit properly and have a decent lining and insole, then there isn't any reason for there to be a smell or for the wearer to get blisters.

It's not a look I'd be impressed by the OH adopting (he's lacking the wherewithal for a Man Bun, for a start) - he'd look more at home hefting boxes of Cod or herding sheep than poncing about on a little pleasure craft - but there's nothing wrong with it per se.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 6,766 Posts
    • 5,540 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I hate to admit this as it makes me feel like a saddo but has no-one else head of trainer socks aka 'invisible' socks
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Real men don't wear trainer socks. Either wear socks or go commando. Trainer socks are for girls.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 15th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,697 Thanks
    I used to always wear trainers without socks, now I'm the opposite unless it's for a very short time. And in ordinary shoes, with the strange exception of one pair, I can't stand bare feet in shoes so I wear socks in winter, either ankle or trainer ones, or those lacy footsies that Primarni sell, which have the grippy rubber all the way round the foot so they don't move.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £124 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66 * Clothes Challenge 2018 #13 *
    SPCNo.10 £682.31
    SPCNo.9 £442.64
    • Prof_Green
    • By Prof_Green 15th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    I come from a family of cobblers, and I was always taught that no matter what life throws at you, a good pair of socks and a stout pair of boots will get you through it.
    Originally posted by tommix
    Sounds like a load of cobblers to me.
    • Prof_Green
    • By Prof_Green 15th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Wonder how long before they dispense with the shoes as well?

Just makes you look like a skinflint imo.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 33,893 Posts
    • 124,769 Thanks
    The other problem with bare feet in shoes is that very often your feet stick to the insoles and when you take off the shoes, the insoles come too, which is a pain.
    (I just lurve spiders! )

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • tommix
    • By tommix 16th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 36,256 Posts
    • 144,426 Thanks
    I like to indulge in rampant socks occasionally..
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 17th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7,635 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    I've noticed this too
    Like most fashions, it looks ridiculous.
    But IME fashion following 'sheeple' only see what they're wearing, not what they look like.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 18-03-2018 at 7:23 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,406Users online

Martin's Twitter