Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 2nd Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    • 3,056Posts
    • 1,204Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    0 WOW
    Do you ever regret going on holiday?
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    0 WOW
    Do you ever regret going on holiday? 2nd Feb 18 at 7:04 PM
    Holidays are expensive - even if it's fun at the time, when they're over do you ever wish you hadn't done it and had the few hundred pounds back again?

Like money spent down the pub or in the cinema or on restaurants?
Page 3
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 4th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 23,692 Thanks
    Tarry
    Well back in September 2012 I regretted the fact I went away as when I came home a family member was very sick and I was angry with myself for having a holiday (I was doing long hours all through that year - 48 hours plus a week). I had to let it go (excuse the frozen reference) and forgive myself as I needed that break.

I do enjoy holidays again and 3 years later I went back to the destination I had previously enjoyed although was strange going back and glad I did.

These days I go twice a year. I don't do flop and drop holidays though as normally go to Ireland, Scotland and hoping to go to Holland next year as always wanted to go.

Used to day trip to France 3/4 times a year and never regretted those even the force 9 crossing in December lol
    Last edited by Tarry; 04-02-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Its funny I love holidays my husband not so much...
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    I hope you mean your husband doesn't love holidays as much as you, not that you don't love your husband as much as holidays.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 4th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    I travel a lot, all over the world, and the only time I regretted spending £1000's was to Cape Town
    travelover
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 4th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Ganga
    I travel a lot, all over the world, and the only time I regretted spending £1000's was to Cape Town
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    Why?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 4th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    kimplus8
    I went on an expensive holiday a while back (years actually) and I immediately regretted it once I got back. I paid for the holiday with a credit card and while the holiday was lovely I despised the fact that I spent the rest of the year paying it off. Maybe if I had paid for it in full and not on credit I would have felt differently.
    This last summer however I took the kids camping with some friends, we stayed on a campsite that was £7 a night, very basic and no electric hook up etc, no showers and just a toilet to use and it was best time we have had. I invested in a good quality 8 berth tent and some good quality sleeping bags and mats. I borrowed a small camping stove and other bits and pieces but this yer I will probably invest in a few of those bits of my own. It was so much fun, roasting marshmallows and going to the beach, a local lake, going for walks on the moors, all free. I don't regret that holiday at all.
    Member of £1000 Emergency fund Club LIGHTBULB!!! BR and living with it! Dave Ramsey fan
    • f4phixeruk
    • By f4phixeruk 4th Feb 18, 11:36 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    f4phixeruk
    Going on Holiday later this year with DD and grandson. 7 nights SWMBO and me £2000. 4* all inclusive. I know Im not going to really enjoy it, as its a lot of money. However DD refuses to go 3* or half board. Even though SWMBO and myself love H/B, and arent snobby about star rating.
    What makes it worse is the fact we have to travel to her nearest airport, so we can help with grandson. SWMBO has already told her we arent going anywhere next year as we wont be able to afford it after the £2000 this year. :-(
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 4th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Going on Holiday later this year with DD and grandson. 7 nights SWMBO and me £2000. 4* all inclusive. I know Im not going to really enjoy it, as its a lot of money. However DD refuses to go 3* or half board. Even though SWMBO and myself love H/B, and arent snobby about star rating.
    What makes it worse is the fact we have to travel to her nearest airport, so we can help with grandson. SWMBO has already told her we arent going anywhere next year as we wont be able to afford it after the £2000 this year. :-(
    Originally posted by f4phixeruk
    Your DD is right. If you’re going AI you got to go 5*. No point in going 3* star & not being able to stomach the food.
    AIs are often out of the main drag too, so popping out to eat elsewhere might not be easy.

My AI this year, just under 2k, for one!! The joys of being a solo traveller.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 15,875 Posts
    • 11,871 Thanks
    hollydays
    I have vague recollections of a friends parents taking us to a Welsh holiday camp in the late 60s or very early 70s . I have a memory of barbed wire around the perimeter. Not sure whether that was to keep people in or stop people getting in.Grim.
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 5th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    sandsy
    Never regret them - love our holidays and the memories live on forever.

But proper research reduces the chances of not enjoying them - and I just love the planning stage. Knowing that I have made informed decisions gives me comfort that our money is being spent wisely and builds anticipation.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 5th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    vacheron
    This time of year usually consists of the missus nagging me that we haven't booked a holiday yet and me getting dragged through the websites and brochures and eventually caving in and booking something far more expensive than I would have generally have settled for had it been entirely up to me!

Then we go on the holiday and I thoroughly enjoy every minute and thank her (again) for not taking no for an answer because I don't regret a single penny we spent.

I then promise myself that I won't do the same thing next year, but I soon forget and she has to go through it all again.

We tend to go half board regardless of the quality of the hotel as we always have a car on hire for the entire duration of our holiday. This means we are generally out and about between Breakfast and Dinner and cover literally hundreds of miles driving all over exploring the area and spending the money we would have spent on All Inclusive supporting independent local shops, bars, cafes and restaurants.

I know of people who have gone on 2 week All Inclusive holidays and never left the hotel compound once during their entire stay!

Each to their own, but I can't understand that at all.
    Last edited by vacheron; 05-02-2018 at 3:59 PM.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 5th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Well I had

One near miss - arranged to go to Poland with an old school friend for 4 days. I like eating in local places, eating cheap, looking round. She wanted to eat at posh places (offered to pay, but it was besides the point) and it sounded like we wanted different things so didn't go in the end

Went to New Zealand after Oz and Oz had spoil the me, I'd done most of my list and if I'd researched more I think I'd just go to queenstown for a week but I was that stuck in sorting Oz I just booked NZ without really looking at it. Plus by the time I'd heard the hundredth 'mountain ctvhf', 'lake jftdvh', we're all taking photos and like I said to folk that when we're home were not going to remember the names of them. But looking back some bits were good, I just didn't appreciate it as much at the time. Plus there was a lot of going places where there was naff all there.

Plus had a day in Miami once which me and a friend hated so went straight to Chicago so wasted a fair bit on new flights and ended up paying quite a bit on a posh hotel as we'd been working as a camp counsellor and had been camping or 9 weeks, hostels for nearly 3 so was ready for a bit of luxury, but what we spent going to Miami and out of it could have paid the hotel.

Other than that I can't think of any others really
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *60lbs lost* *31lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 32 weeks in -52lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 15 weeks & 18lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 5th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Just three holidays, that I regret. Although regret is probably harsh, as we still have fond memories of them. Just not ones we'd want to repeat!!!

First one was when we was newby campers. Kids all had decent sleeping bags. Hubby and I had two cheap tesco ones each. It was easter and I absolutely froze each night. I went and brought thermals, I doubled up my bags. I even went to bed fully clothed with a jumper round my feet (they suffered the most) I besieged my husband to take me to local supermarket one night to buy a duvet. We arrived to discover they was refurbishing that part of the store, so no duvets.
    Everyone one else slept like logs. The days were beautiful and spent on the beach in t shirts.

Oh and the woman on the next pitch insisted on calling me Sharon, the whole time. My name isn't Sharon but gave up trying to correct her.

We do look back and laugh, now!! And mine and hubbys bags were upgraded asap.

Second holiday was also camping, IOW 9 nights. Rained for 8 of those. Was the yr Boscastle flooded I believe.
    We came back to the tent one night to find a stream running through it. We sacrificed the kids cricket set, which couldn't be used anyway, to raise the edge of the groudnsheet so water went under not over. There was so much standing water under the tent the groundsheet rippled when touched. And it stank to absolute high heaven when we broke camp.
    Trying to amuse four children in a tent on holiday with no break in the rain was pure misery. And expensive.
    Tried to come home early but due to the ferry company wanting an arm and a leg to change the booking we was stuck.

Third holiday was yet again camping. Week in Norfolk. Again awful weather, pitched near cliffs so very windy and wet.
    We would've left earlier as many others did on site. Some after losing tents to the weather. But had a big family event to attend on the Thursday. So stuck it out till then. And came home straight from the event rather than coming home Sat. Wasn't all bad weather that holiday but majority was.
    But we have memories of BBQing in the rain under the boot. And videos of us dancing in the rain and playing in puddles.

Funny enough we no longer camp!!!!
    Though I must add the good camps outweighed the bad thankfully.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    Kim kim
    We tend to go half board regardless of the quality of the hotel as we always have a car on hire for the entire duration of our holiday. This means we are generally out and about between Breakfast and Dinner and cover literally hundreds of miles driving all over exploring the area and spending the money we would have spent on All Inclusive supporting independent local shops, bars, cafes and restaurants.

I know of people who have gone on 2 week All Inclusive holidays and never left the hotel compound once during their entire stay!

Each to their own, but I can't understand that at all.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    I tend to go AI because they tend to have great locations. Almost all hotels in seaside resorts with lovely private beaches, are AI.
    The 5* ones usually have every possible facility you could want.

But I rarely (almost never) drink & I certainly don’t feel like I need to eat 3 square meals a day there to get my money’s worth.

I usually (in a two week holiday) do 2 beach days, 1 outing day. It’s the perfect mixture of relaxation and sightseeing for me.
    I’ve never not moved from the hotel.
    Some locations security can be a consideration or even just hassle and it’s nice not to have to run a gauntlet of hasslers while you are going out to eat dinner though. So for countries like that, AIs offer a tranquil haven.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    takman
    While I was saving up a house deposit (and now wedding), over the last few years I've used Google maps streetview for a sort of sightseeing. For me it's just hard to save and a big holiday would completely scupper that, but if things got better financially over time u would relax more
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    I don't know how much your planning to spend on a wedding but spending thousands of pounds for one day is definetly something I would regret.

Is it the family time the biggest factor for most people, or seeing new things (sense of adventure?) Or being away from an area you associate with work? Or another reason?
    You seem to really hate your job and going to work so maybe you should look for a job you enjoy or atleast something you don't mind doing. I once took my partner to a hotel I regularly stay at for work as it's a nice area (and I had enough points for a free stay) so being away from an area i associate with work isn't a factor in where I go!.

But generally I like to explore new places and do new and interesting things on holiday. I also think family time is important and my family tend to go on the same holidays as when someone books one and starts talking about it and inviting everyone else we all end up booking it aswell.

But the important thing is to not spend money you don't have.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 9th Feb 18, 6:14 AM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Me and the cook are sat in Gatwick South Departure lounge at the moment.....no regrets so far.
    • Golfcat
    • By Golfcat 9th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Golfcat
    you soon get accustomed and forget the new shiny a, B, or c you purchased, but the memory of the Leopard stalking the Oribi at night will stay in your memories forever.
    Originally posted by enjoyyourshoes

This completely
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 19,091 Posts
    • 44,085 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Is it the family time the biggest factor for most people, or seeing new things (sense of adventure?) Or being away from an area you associate with work? Or another reason?
    It's seeing what's beyond your garden gate/office desk.

There's a whole wide world our there, I would hate to end my life having not seen everything I want to.

I travelled extensively before I married/bought a house/had children, I travelled with the children, now they're all grown up I intend to carry right on.

My lifestyle choices have to include a budget for holidays. I'll compromise on anything material to make them happen.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 9th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Me and the cook are sat in Gatwick South Departure lounge at the moment.....no regrets so far.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Flight set off on time @ 0815. The jockey managed to keep the old kite in the sky for 4 hours. Bumpy landing, but we had come down from 38 thousand feet.....the last 6 inches are the worst.

Still no regrets.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Flight set off on time @ 0815. The jockey managed to keep the old kite in the sky for 4 hours. Bumpy landing, but we had come down from 38 thousand feet.....the last 6 inches are the worst.

Still no regrets.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    You know what they say - falling 38,000 ft won't hurt you, it's the stopping at the bottom that does the damage. Glad you survived.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 10th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    koalakoala
    It's seeing what's beyond your garden gate/office desk.

There's a whole wide world our there, I would hate to end my life having not seen everything I want to.

I travelled extensively before I married/bought a house/had children, I travelled with the children, now they're all grown up I intend to carry right on.

My lifestyle choices have to include a budget for holidays. I'll compromise on anything material to make them happen.
    Originally posted by peachyprice

My sentiments exactly!
    And the older I get the more I want to travel, running out of time now lol.
    It's a wonderful feeling knowing I've been everywhere I've ever wanted to go.
    I just love seeing different places and seeing how other people live.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter