Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 2nd Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    No post since moving house
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    No post since moving house 2nd Feb 18 at 1:55 PM
    We moved house before Christmas. We didn't really put much importance on getting no post until into the new year, when we realised we hadn't received any mail at all. This was bought to light by us not receiving our updated driving licences and also DH's employer sending an expensive bit of work kit (untracked!) and us never receiving it.

Royal Mail can't offer an explanation and we can't get in touch with the previous owner of our house to see what redirection arrangements may be in place. They apparently can't tell us what possible redirection arrangements the previous house owner has in place ('data protection').

RM have simply told us to sit tight and get back in touch with them next Friday if we still haven't received anything. In the meantime, we are now discovering lots of other important things haven't turned up in the mail, namely my child's annual savings statement, our driving licences (as mentioned) and my updated car logbook. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and are there any explanations from someone reading who may work at RM?

------

Feel like I should edit with extra info that's come to light as it may get lost further down the thread.

1) We didn't set up redirection from our old address to our current one - just updated in writing with all of the agencies and then followed up with a phone check. We've moved quite a few times within the last 5-6 years and have got it down pat now!

2) We had an overlap between our old rented property and our current one of just over a month. In this time, two pieces of unsolicited junk mail arrived at our old rental property and nothing else.

3) Landlord's mom lives in the same street as our old rental and checks the vacant property once a week for post. She then drops DH a text and he goes to pick up anything that has arrived. Since Christmas, this has also consisted of one or two bits of unsolicited junk mail or stuff addressed 'To The Occupier.'

4) We've since managed to get in touch with the previous owner of our property. He has redirection set up and is getting his mail but has not received anything of ours.

5) We've confident that the following things have disappeared into the ether:
    - Mine and DH's driving licences (after updating to show our new address)
    - My logbook (showing our new address)
    - Daughter's annual savings statement
    - A cheque for £75
    - Land registry/other documents from our solicitor
    - A pricey bit of work kit from my DH's employer (unfortunately, they were daft enough to send it untracked!)
    - Information from our new energy supplier
    - And other bits, such as cards from long-distance friends (i.e. new home etc.)

If it was just one or two bits then I'd be mildly annoyed. But there is no way that all of this can go astray without something being very wrong in the system somewhere. Relatives have suggested a light fingered postie, but I find that hard to believe and a bit far-fetched tbh.

Again, I will update tomorrow when I've been to the sorting office. It could just be down to the particular people I've spoken to, but the staff I've had dealings with are extremely unconcerned about the whole thing.

ETA: Sorting office not interested in helping, lodged a formal complaint over the phone. As mentioned in the thread, I sent myself two pieces of mail. One signed for and one standard. The recorded one arrived but the non-recorded one has disappeared too!
    Last edited by Piggywinkle; 08-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Page 3
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 7th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    steveE2
    Have you received the letter you sent to yourself on the 2nd yet?
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 8th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Did you speak to a manager or just the postie on the door?
    If the postie then the complaint will go to the manager of the unit.
    Complaint performance is a KPI and those KPIs impact bonus
    Another avenue is Twitter,seen good responses/results via Twitter and if they go to the delivery office its via a different complaints chain.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Just the person on the front desk. Every time we asked a question, she would run off into the back to ask someone and then come back and give us an answer which had very little to do with what we had asked. When we asked if there was someone else we could speak to (as there was a queue building up at this point), we were told that there was no one available. It was clear we were getting nowhere at this point so we gave up with the sorting office. It was clear from the way she kept repeating "it's definitely not a problem here, you need to contact the people who have sent the post" we realised she was only interested in not admitting liability.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my complaint to I will update the thread again if they get back to me.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 8th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Have you received the letter you sent to yourself on the 2nd yet?
    Originally posted by steveE2
    Now there's a question! I sent two letters, one signed for and one stamp only.

The recorded one got here... the non-recorded one didn't!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,290Posts Today

6,972Users online

Martin's Twitter