Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 2nd Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3,056Posts
    • 1,204Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Never go sick again?
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    Never go sick again? 2nd Feb 18 at 10:44 AM
    Hi everyone

Trying to guage attitudes towards taking sickness, I get the vibe (from the way sick reviews work and the way that zero hours contracts don't pay sickness at all) that we're pretty much expected to power through. This and the "get a grip" messages about school absence - after all a kid won't get better much faster at home than at school

Sometimes I have just powered through work with flu, norovirus, infected eczema, it was hard and not my best work but passable, I used to phone to ask line manager what they wanted me to do, so if I worked it was their responsibility, but since a sick review I try to disguise sickness to avoid a black mark against me, because HR said no more sickness for 12 months otherwise another review

I suppose if it really comes down to it you can use annual leave, but I hope the line manager would record it as holiday to protect my sick record, the problem is they might refuse to authorise annual leave and then refuse to let me work of they know about a sickness
Page 7
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 3rd Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,612 Thanks
    sangie595
    Isnt this guy a known troll? The username seems familiar
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    erm... Several pages ago! Why on earth is everyone still playing the game... He'll adapt to whatever anyone says.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 3rd Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 19,001 Posts
    • 19,394 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    His illness might identify him. The fact that he wears a monocle apparently will not.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 3rd Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    erm... Several pages ago! Why on earth is everyone still playing the game... He'll adapt to whatever anyone says.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    He trolls quite well tbh, most people dont realise and just get frustrated.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 4th Feb 18, 9:31 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    I find as a employee you are in a lose lose situation with your employer. They hate it when you go off sick and hate it when you are sick and turn in for work.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 4th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Comms - it can be disabling if severe enough, in my case it's at a level where I could do a different type of work but I don't see myself getting the same pay or specific hours elsewhere in the firm. At the moment I'm on steroids that can keep it under control for up to 2 years before risking organ damage

Motorguy- if you're let go for something you can't control, doors close for you, like a lesser form of disability, you can lose pay and terms and career through no fault - it's being treated similar to someone who did wrong
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    As someone who has Plague psorasis and was coverd over 85% of the body,i can appreciate its not easy.
    As for the steroids..if its Dovobet or similar then yes be careful but dont overly worry about it,start worrying when your on immunosuppressive meds,then you need to worry and maybe start saving them sick days up..
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 4th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    Cyclosporine is an immunosuppressant not a steroid.
    • SamSam17
    • By SamSam17 5th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    SamSam17
    If you're not well then stay at home. No point being at work and spreading it. At my work place, most people turn up with cold and then 60% of staff are off sick by the end of the week cos its spread so fast.

I hate it when people come into the office knowing they're sick.
    • kikukako
    • By kikukako 5th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    kikukako
    I too suffer with a long term condition and work full time. I have fibromyalgia, which results in chronic pain and fatigue. For me, the pain settles in my hips, knees and back and I often have a headache. I do not sleep well and often suffer from brain fog. I have adapted my lifestyle to compensate as much as possible. If anticipate a particularly busy week at work - I plan to do nothing the weekend before and after. I use quiet workdays to plan, plan, plan. That way my work is ready just in case I have a bad day ( I am a University lecturer). I space my leave out throughout the year to have regular rests. I keep a heat pad at my desk and at my chair at home. I plan meals in advance that are easy to make. I carry around an arsenal of medicine - to keep me going till I hit the sofa. On days that I can do - I sleep. I keep spare money in a pocket in my bag in case I am in too much pain to take public transport home and need a cab. If I go on holiday or a night out I make sure there are opportunities for me to rest - or indeed leave and get home early if necessary. I cannot wear clothes with a rough texture so I have spent time assembling appropriate clothes for work. I have a walking stick stashed under the desk and I never carry a bag that I have to hold in one hand - always a backpack. To look at me you would have no clue that I am making all of these adjustments to help me be successful at work - but this is what we do.
    Last edited by kikukako; 05-02-2018 at 3:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 5th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 7,459 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Lets just remember that it is not the illness or amount of drugs you are on . . it's how affects you!

It takes time to learn how to cope with a chronic illness or condition - It takes a phenomenal amount of time and resources to feather a thriveable niche. There no such thing as 'good' days anymore. We all have different levels of support and resources to call on. At different stages in our illness AND in RL, we are better or less able to cope with all the crap that comes along. It only takes one straw . .

Pride comes before a fall!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Shadeer
    • By Shadeer 5th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shadeer
    Can I claim back Statutory Sick Pay?
    Hi everyone,
    I am not sure I am in right forum but I really need help regarding my back dated sick pay, which is back to 2013-2014 when I worked as seasonal worker for PMP recruitment at Amazon warehouse. Because heavy work loads and long hours night shift, after few months I fall in sick and hospitalised for 2 months. Even these day, I am still taking tablets for that.

A couple weeks ago, I spoke to PMP regarding this issue, they told me its too late after 3 years. But I want to argue PMP never told me I should hand over my sick notice when I decided to quit my job due to my health concern, they even didn't ask me the reason why I want to quit my job. the resignation process was only processed by email, that's it.

I want to know if it is really too late to claim back my unpaid sick payment?

Many Thanks.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 10,698 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Hi everyone,
    I am not sure I am in right forum but I really need help regarding my back dated sick pay, which is back to 2013-2014 when I worked as seasonal worker for PMP recruitment at Amazon warehouse. Because heavy work loads and long hours night shift, after few months I fall in sick and hospitalised for 2 months. Even these day, I am still taking tablets for that.

A couple weeks ago, I spoke to PMP regarding this issue, they told me its too late after 3 years. But I want to argue PMP never told me I should hand over my sick notice when I decided to quit my job due to my health concern, they even didn't ask me the reason why I want to quit my job. the resignation process was only processed by email, that's it.

I want to know if it is really too late to claim back my unpaid sick payment?

Many Thanks.
    Originally posted by Shadeer
    No one needs to ask you why you want to quit. Itís not really any of their business if you want to quit due to your health or quit to join the circus.

Do you still have a doctors sick/fit now for four years ago? I imagine the boat has well and truly sailed to be quite honest, as even with a. Fit note the employer could, if so inclined, dispute or find other duties for you and you didnít give them chance for this.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 6th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 17,115 Posts
    • 45,037 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    My sick leave record is probably not great. I've had numerous epsiodes where i;ve had to take time off due to being depressed or manic (i have bipolar). I try to go in even when ill as i hate being off sick and feel bad for doing so. My last sickness whihc was a 2 week one due to a particulary bad depressive episode led to me getting a 2nd "coaching and counselling" warning, you get 3 of tho before full blown disaplinery. I'm particularly screwed as having bipolar there are times im not fit to work, but like any other person i also get colds and flu and sickness bugs (which legally as i work with food have to be off for 48hrs). The odds are pretty much stacked against me. If i'm pff sick again (bipolar eleated or any other illness) i'l get a discerpinery.

Which isn;t great as i'm currently manic and my medication isn;t working which means i may need to change medication and the side effects can be horrendous on new meds, so i'll just have to hope i don;t need time off again(i;ve heard you can take time off for medical treatment and it shouldn't go against you but i don;t know how true that actually is)
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    busting my debt: £680/£2750
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter