Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 5,122Posts
    • 7,188Thanks
    deannatrois
    Help. Pip assessment person arrived early
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    Help. Pip assessment person arrived early 2nd Feb 18 at 9:54 AM
    Pip asssessment booked for 10-12. Social worker not here yet who was going to support me.

Assessor said it didnt matter when she turned up. Then it turns out she's terrified of dogs of which I have two. Put them in the bedroom for now.

She's gone outside to wait til 10 oclock but feel like this is really bad. Stressed before, really bad now. God knows if support worker will turn up on time.

I think I will just have to cancel my PIP application. This is just not going to go well.

Please help I am freaking out, on my own here. No support at all.
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 28,830 Posts
    • 73,629 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    Pip asssessment booked for 10-12. Social worker not here yet who was going to support me.

Assessor said it didnt matter when she turned up. Then it turns out she's terrified of dogs of which I have two. Put them in the bedroom for now.

She's gone outside to wait til 10 oclock but feel like this is really bad. Stressed before, really bad now. God knows if support worker will turn up on time.

I think I will just have to cancel my PIP application. This is just not going to go well.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Won't the assessors seeing how difficult this is for you confirm your need for PIP?
    • w06
    • By w06 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    w06
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    it's only 6 minutes to 10, how early was early? If she only just arrived that seems within the bounds of on time to me.

Keep calm and go ahead with it, the dogs will be ok in teh other room (I've two big dogs too).
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    She turned up at 9.30.., problem was my support worker wasn't there.

As soon as my support worker turned up, we went and got the assessment officer.

I don't think it went particularly well. I was a bit unco-operative. Don't know why really. And point blank refused to do squats (arthritis in hips and knees). I couldn't understand one of the exercises she wanted me to do, tried and thought I was doing it but apparently not. So many things she asked were on the PIP form, it just seemed a bit pointless. I gave her my list of medication that I enclosed with my Pip form when she wanted me to verbally list my medication (couldn't remember a thing at the time, but I did say this).

Unfortunately, i probably seemed rather petulant and antisocial. Was just very scared and uncomfortable (pain in joints is quite bad).

So i guess it'll be the usual MR and tribunal lol.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 2nd Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    I suspect she wanted you to verbally list your medication because one of their copy/paste report statements states that the claimant listed their medication and dosages without prompting. It was used in my assessments as part of their assessment of my memory/cognition.

Just in case you do need to appeal, can I suggest writing down what happened while it's still fresh in your mind, including the bits about not being able to deal with her coming early and not being able to let her in without having your support worker there, struggling to communicate normally with her, which exercises you couldn't/struggled to do and why, and what happened when you tried to give her your medication list? If possible, have your support worker read it over and confirm it's accurate.
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    wellynever
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    Monday morning phone and ask for the PA4 report, it will give you a idea as to how it went and what points you may get.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    Thank you so much Penitent.., been so uncomfortable how it went (know I was very awkward which is not really me deep down but that's why I do everything to avoid social stuff) I hadn't started to think about things like a write up. I will do that tonight.

Thank you Wellynever, I hadn't realised I could do that either. Will do that on Monday or get my social worker to do it.

But I don't expect to be awarded PIP immediately. I know I will probably (statistically) be awarded nil points but we'll see. I was SO withdrawn and unhelpful. Probably wouldn't have been if it had gone well to start with. I've had similar things happen before when people don't turn up but can sometimes get over it but of course, the PIP process is something to be scared of. Other things like the OT assessment were nerve wracking (and they cancelled appointments/forgot one/turned up late) but were there to help.

Not surprisingly the PIP assessment woman was very officious and I always get scared with people like that. Having her telling me she could turn up when she liked set the scene a bit and scared me. I've had too many bad experiences. Its a complete pain. Wish I could make myself react differently. I don't feel terribly proud of myself right now. She was polite, but sort of overbearing if that makes sense. I've had problems with abuse in the past and it had that flavour. I'm sure thats an over the top feeling of mine. I really dislike this side of myself.

Thank you so much everyone for your support. I really appreciate it.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 2nd Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    I requested my report a couple of days after my assessment. It took several weeks and two or three follow-ups calls to get it, as people kept forgetting to action the request. It eventually arrived within a couple of days of my MR rejection. If your report doesn't arrive after a couple of weeks, make sure you or your support worker chase it just in case. Don't wait nervously thinking it's just been delayed like I did. (It's very unlikely the same thing will happen to you, but I suspect you're the sort that likes to be pre-warned of potential issues so you can be prepared.)

It's extremely frustrating having to appeal, but it's completely survivable. I've made it to the Upper Tribunal and back without the help of a solicitor/professional organisation--just a lot of googling and some brilliant pointers from the lovely folk of MSE. So, if you do end up having to appeal, don't give up and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know), because you're not as alone as you might feel. There's a lot of support out there. Just take it one step at a time.

Sorry, that went a bit soppy.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:44 AM
    The social worker still seems to think the PIP assessment went well. God knows, time will tell.

Been having things I need to deal with with both sons (who also have ASD) but will make phone calls tomorrow if I get time.

I can't do the write up. Head is a complete blank as to what happened when. I can't remember the links between what happened and when. I can remember some slightly trick questions (like how do you walk your son to school after my answers about not being able to walk, how often do you walk your dog - my ex-walks him but I wasn't asked that so didn't give that answer just said I didn't, bloody ASD). Fortunately I was consistent (not always happens due to the literalness of ASD, I tend to answer only what is directly asked, which can cause some confusing answers). As far as I am aware, this didn't happen in the assessment.

Well now just waiting for the results.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 9th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 6,402 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    At my first assessment my mum was completely won over and thought the guy was totally on my side - no award. Second time round my sister thought it went well - enhanced mobility and no daily living.

Both overturned, one at appeal and one at MR but still a giant pain in the back side. Yours might have gone better than mine as you didn't engage with her whereas I did power through and that went against me. I am a bit of a "people pleaser" and have worked with the public after lots of coaching and training so I've been programmed to answer questions with the "right"answer and not the true answer if that makes sense? Downside of being female and early diagnosed!

Hope you get a good award and it doesn't drag out, definitely keep on top of them re. the assessment report, they messed me around with mine too and I only got it as part of my tribunal bundle.
    Last edited by GlasweJen; 09-02-2018 at 9:44 PM.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 9th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,481 Posts
    • 21,274 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Good luck.. and agree with above.. get on the front foot and get hold of a copy of the assessment report (PA4 consultation report).
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    deannatrois
    @ GlasweJen. I tend to do that a lot. I am usually able to give expected responses even though its not what I feel. I've been covering up for 50 years so do that quite well, unless I reach a flashpoint.

But unfortunately, I've gotten more and more isolated and lost a lot of the skills I did have. With the Assessor turning up early and not having my support worker around that kind of set the scene for a frightened non helpful 'go away' responseon my part lolol. Not normally how I'd be but I don't do surprises at the best of times lol.

Had a melt down in Asda yesterday., was stopped at the barrier by an alarm. Had definitely paid for all the goods, nothing electrical and clothing but alarm went off. Couldn't find receipt (I do get a bit hassled shopping and then you have to put stuff away in an always too small shopping trolley, speak to assistant and handle paying - I lose things). So I unloaded all my shopping (couldn't possibly have gone through all my shopping ticking of all the items even if i had the receipt, shopping overwhelms me) and walked out. First time I've done this. So now no milk and scared to go out. I have written to complain to Asda but it won't help in the short term. The little old asda assistant at the barrier didn't have any solutions when I said I couldn't find my receipt. Customer services had a long queue and I didn't know what to do. He turned round and said 'how do I know you paid for everything' which I guess is logical but not calming lol.

I really hate it when I get like this.

Been sitting here all afternoon knowing the milk was running out but unable to make myself get more.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 10-02-2018 at 7:26 PM.
    • SkipClick
    • By SkipClick 11th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    SkipClick
    @ GlasweJen. I tend to do that a lot. I am usually able to give expected responses even though its not what I feel. I've been covering up for 50 years so do that quite well, unless I reach a flashpoint.

But unfortunately, I've gotten more and more isolated and lost a lot of the skills I did have. With the Assessor turning up early and not having my support worker around that kind of set the scene for a frightened non helpful 'go away' responseon my part lolol. Not normally how I'd be but I don't do surprises at the best of times lol.

Had a melt down in Asda yesterday., was stopped at the barrier by an alarm. Had definitely paid for all the goods, nothing electrical and clothing but alarm went off. Couldn't find receipt (I do get a bit hassled shopping and then you have to put stuff away in an always too small shopping trolley, speak to assistant and handle paying - I lose things). So I unloaded all my shopping (couldn't possibly have gone through all my shopping ticking of all the items even if i had the receipt, shopping overwhelms me) and walked out. First time I've done this. So now no milk and scared to go out. I have written to complain to Asda but it won't help in the short term. The little old asda assistant at the barrier didn't have any solutions when I said I couldn't find my receipt. Customer services had a long queue and I didn't know what to do. He turned round and said 'how do I know you paid for everything' which I guess is logical but not calming lol.

I really hate it when I get like this.

Been sitting here all afternoon knowing the milk was running out but unable to make myself get more.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Why didn't they not check the cameras at that time you paid for the goods?. Another question if you remember who server you while you were at the till to. Why don't you pay on credit card? then you can show the transaction online using your bank app. I hope asda give you rewarding vouchers.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I found the receipt. Basically just got the usual 'this will be relayed to management' reply. Could tell they didn't get it at all. Was offered a refund but don't feel like going back.

Have asked for the PA4 Consultation report, said should hear in 3 weeks either way as report received 6th February.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,526Users online

Martin's Twitter