Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • islandman
    • By islandman 1st Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 4,101Posts
    • 1,719Thanks
    islandman
    Why does Windows 10 crash?
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    Why does Windows 10 crash? 1st Feb 18 at 5:42 PM
    Yes, a simple enough question that many people ask. So seemingly there is an issue and wneeed how it can be overcome. In essence, suddenly the screen blackens and it reboots.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
Page 2
    • were
    • By were 3rd Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    were
    there are three possible intel vulnerability issues. Besides the the two listed there is the Intel SA-00086 Management agent bug too, but not applicable to all cpu's. https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Perhaps patching windows with updates drivers that various manufacturers roll out may help? Bios updates? Yes, clutching at straws, but you have to start somewhere. Reseat all the cables as heat creep could have dislodged some.

Sometimes you can fault find to the cows come home and still get nowhere. It becomes substitution time. If you have 8gb half it. If it still fails, take out the first half out and put in the second 4gb. Swap the disk... you may have a old manky one floating around?

You may have an old PSU you could swap, or use another computer's, if you have a desktop? Perhaps a friend has a spare or old one? Unfortunately there is only so much you can do on a laptop.

Hardest ones are cpu and motherboard. I would run the memory tester found on linux bootable disk too.

Possibly the ultimate work around is to run linux, and have a windows 10 vm running on that
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 7th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    Biggles
    A new Windows Update today, hopefully that might have fixed it. I hope so, the random restarting had become a daily occurrence.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 848 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Mine's slow and updates at the most awkward opportunities but I've never had a crash.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 8th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    Biggles
    A new Windows Update today, hopefully that might have fixed it. I hope so, the random restarting had become a daily occurrence.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    My hopes were unfounded, it restarted again this morning.

However, I finally got hold of HP (my desktop is still under extended warranty) and they dialled in and made some changes. He knew the problem and seemed confident he had fixed it. Time will tell.....
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    PS., regarding Windows 10 I've had a handful of computers requiring a manual upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 because they have been stuck in a reboot loop; also a couple of computers have needed a "Windows Update Troubleshooting" run as a result of a stuck/corrupt Windows Update dbase.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 8th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 5,757 Thanks
    warehouse
    Interestingly someone in the office today is reporting a wannacry attack on their fully updated Windows 10 Pro machine!
    Pants
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Tarambor
    It seems its down to a buggy Intel patch for the Spectre issue. Intel are replacing their original buggy fix.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/spectre-reboot-problems-now-intel-replaces-its-buggy-fix-for-skylake-pcs/
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 9th Feb 18, 8:21 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    tonygold
    My hopes were unfounded, it restarted again this morning.

However, I finally got hold of HP (my desktop is still under extended warranty) and they dialled in and made some changes. He knew the problem and seemed confident he had fixed it. Time will tell.....
    hi biggles
    mine is HP also. can you tell me what number you called HP on to get this service done as mine is still restarting intermittently also.

many thanks.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 9th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    Biggles
    Tony, I did it all online, using support.hp.com and the 'Chat' facility worked perfectly.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 9th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    tonygold
    Tony, I did it all online, using support.hp.com and the 'Chat' facility worked perfectly.
    thanks i'll give that a go.
    it's starting to drive me mad!!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Interestingly someone in the office today is reporting a wannacry attack on their fully updated Windows 10 Pro machine!
    Originally posted by warehouse

There is nothing interesting about that.

Your colleague obviously clicked on a dodgy link or opened a rogue attachment.

You can patch against "eternalblue" but you cant patch against stupid
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 8,855 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Considering that being a !!!! is the most common attack vector and AV software pretty much never protects against it this does rather beg the question what exactly is the point of bothering with AV at all?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ Just to guard against drivebys and block general "virusey" behaviour (heuristics scanning)

Viruses still exist, but their original concept was to destroy systems "just for the lolz"

All the money is in malware now, PUP's etc -

"Whats the point of bothering with AV atall" ..

Well although its still needed, bithering about looking at league tables to see which product detects 0.000001% more viruses in lab conditions is just insane.

Hence the "Defender will do" mantra
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 10th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    DesertWind
    Windows 10 is buggy.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 8,855 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Hence the "Defender will do" mantra
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I just use defender. All it has ever drawn to my attention is a false positive on an old password safe program which I had to tell it to ignore. On a low power machine it can be very cpu intensive at times as taskmanager will show. I'm not convinced it is worth running any AV but havent yet dared to disable it.
    • carolwat
    • By carolwat 11th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    carolwat
    Crash fix
    My laptops suddenly started rebooting every 3 days after the windows update. I did the below a couple of weeks ago and none have rebooted since so I think its safe to say its fixed it.

Go into the Power Options then 'Choose what the power button does' and and 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' then UNCHECK 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)' then Save Changes. Shut down the computer fully and start up again and this should fix it. Mine has been fine since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,503Users online

Martin's Twitter