Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zunky
    • By zunky 1st Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    zunky
    Post Office Easy Access Savings
    • 1st Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    Post Office Easy Access Savings 1st Feb 18 at 1:50 PM
    I opened an account on 3 January using the one offdirect debit facility to make an initial deposit of £500. By 11 January nothing had been taken so I closed the account intending to invest elsewhere. Got an email saying my money would be refunded within a day. When I checked my Nationwide account a day later (12January) I saw Post Office had actually taken the £500 that day, a day after the account had been closed! No refund. I have phoned Ireland four times since then. Long holding on each time. Each time being promised that my £500 would be refunded within 5 days, then 10 days...Today, 1 February I received a letter saying the amount had been paid to me by cheque. No cheque enclosed!
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 1st Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 1st Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    Yeah we get lots of feedback on these forums on how poorly PO/AA savings accounts from the BOI are run. I had an AA account from BOI and it was a painful experience.
    Last edited by Alexland; 01-02-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 1st Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 1st Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    OP you need to allow at least 10 working days for an initial DD to be taken. It needs to be set up and you notified of the DD before it can be taken. You closed the account in the middle of the process - a payment debited on the 12th would have been submitted on the 10th.
    Challenge Cup champions 2016 & 2017
    • zunky
    • By zunky 1st Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zunky
    • 1st Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    Thanks. Yes I realise that now but it wasn’t mentioned at the time of opening the account otherwise I wouldn’t have gone down that route.. My main complaint is the length of time it has taken to get the money back. My latest call today was even worse. The person I spoke to seemed unable to understand what had gone wrong and all they could say was that the cheque should arrive by next Tuesday 6 February. He said they had tried to teturn the money by faster payments but that it had been rejected. I cannot understand this as they obviously had the correct details in order to be able to take the money in the first place. So I will just have to see if a cheque arrives!
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 AM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    metrobus
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 AM
    How does the DD get set up?

Do they send forms out to be signed?

How do they notify you it's been set up?

Thank you
    • zunky
    • By zunky 2nd Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zunky
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    Metrobus - all done online with an email confirmation that account is open .
    • zilla6
    • By zilla6 7th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zilla6
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    I opened one of these accounts at the weekend. Only after I opened it, I found you can only pay money in/out from one nominated account, and that it takes 3-5 working days to pay money into the PO account.
    I paid in some money from my nominated account which hasn't yet arrived after 3 working days. I also paid in £10 from a debit card and that did arrive.
    As soon as all the money is paid in, I am closing the PO account.

Another strange thing is I don't know my full account number, only the 4 last numbers, the rest is just *****
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    I opened one of these accounts at the weekend. Only after I opened it, I found you can only pay money in/out from one nominated account, and that it takes 3-5 working days to pay money into the PO account.
    I paid in some money from my nominated account which hasn't yet arrived after 3 working days. I also paid in £10 from a debit card and that did arrive.

Another strange thing is I don't know my full account number, only the 4 last numbers, the rest is just *****
    Originally posted by zilla6
    But this account is very handy if you are scratting around looking for the vital 2 x DDs to comply with t&cs for various current accounts which pay a reward or interest. (Since the withdrawal of Tesco savings DDs is lurking on the horizon.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • zilla6
    • By zilla6 7th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zilla6
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    Thanks Katie........ but that's not really what I am looking for, so I don't think it's the account for me!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Thanks Katie........ but that's not really what I am looking for, so I don't think it's the account for me!
    In which case what about Tesco easy access online saver?
    Many thanks

• zilla6
    • By zilla6 7th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zilla6
    Thanks again Katie. But Tesco rates are too low!
    I'm currently using Ulster @ 1.25% but they are reducing to 1% in April, so was looking for something over 1.2%. That's why I looked at PO and ICICI, but neither are suitable. Now looking at Bank of Cyprus UK.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Feb 18, 9:53 PM
    • 29,803 Posts
    • 17,770 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Thanks again Katie. But Tesco rates are too low!
    I'm currently using Ulster @ 1.25% but they are reducing to 1% in April, so was looking for something over 1.2%. That's why I looked at PO and ICICI, but neither are suitable. Now looking at Bank of Cyprus UK.
    Tesco are paying 1.30% aren't they?
    I opened one of these accounts at the weekend. Only after I opened it, I found you can only pay money in/out from one nominated account...
    You need to get into the habit of reading the T&Cs before applying for a financial product. Start with Tesco?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 8th Feb 18, 1:31 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    soulsaver
    How does the DD get set up?

Do they send forms out to be signed?

How do they notify you it's been set up?

Thank you
    Originally posted by metrobus
    They confirm your DD also by letter.... shows full PO account number, too.
    Last edited by soulsaver; 08-02-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added 'also'
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 8th Feb 18, 1:32 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    soulsaver
    [QUOTE=zilla6;73846748]I opened one of these accounts at the weekend. Only after I opened it, I found you can only pay money in/out from one nominated account, and that it takes 3-5 working days to pay money into the PO account.

Another strange thing is I don't know my full account number, only the 4 last numbers, the rest is just *****[/QUOTE]
    See previous post, plus:

Go to statements; select ac you want full ac number for from drop list; click latest statement; at the top of the page is full ac number
    Or..
    Select 'transfer money in'; select ac; select, say, £1; next; top of the next page tells you ac number in full... you don't have to complete the process.

Or
    Go to nominated account and look at the DDs set up, prob shows the full PO ac number.
    Last edited by soulsaver; 08-02-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Edited: PO process has been changed and doesn't now show ac number in full.
    • zilla6
    • By zilla6 8th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zilla6
    Go to statements; select ac you want full ac number for from drop list; click latest statement; at the top of the page is full ac number.
    Or..
    Select 'transfer money in'; select ac; select, say, £1; next; top of the next page tells you ac number in full... you don't have to complete the process.
    Thanks Soulsaver........ but neither of those steps worked, I still only see the last 4 numbers. I don't have a statement yet as the account is too new.
    And I don't have a DD set up on my nominated account.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 8th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 4,927 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    planteria
    i have found them to be very poor CSwise.

i had my account number, but I didn't receive a letter with my User ID. i managed to get it over the telephone at the weekend, but it was hard going.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 8th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Thanks Soulsaver........ but neither of those steps worked, I still only see the last 4 numbers. I don't have a statement yet as the account is too new.
    And I don't have a DD set up on my nominated account.
    Just checked .. and yep - that middle option doesn't work now, they've changed the process... for the worse IMO as they've removed the confirmation step after 'next' which has changed to 'complete' without another step(IIRC).
    Post edited.

PS I agree their CS & online facility is rubbish. But I like their regular deposit facility.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    sheramber
    When I set up my first Tesco account I could only see the last 4 numbers until the account was verified and fully opened.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Yep, Tesco internet saver is paying 1.30% for the first year which is better than the others quoted!
    (but the instant access saver is paying a lot less.)
    Many thanks

• zilla6
    • By zilla6 8th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zilla6
    Tesco are paying 1.30% aren't they?You need to get into the habit of reading the T&Cs before applying for a financial product. Start with Tesco?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Tesco seem to be paying 0.4%

I read as much info as I could before opening and it didn't state money can only be paid in from nominated ac. Whereas it does say withdrawals are made to nominated ac.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,344Posts Today

5,392Users online

Martin's Twitter